Monterey Montura Newbie - need help

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Monterey Montura Newbie - need help

20140424_194441_zpslqcaaya4.jpg
[/URL]

Here are the rest of the pictures from today.

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Holy cow deconstruction is soo much easier the second time; and when you follow the directions. So I am taking the 290 off by the book; everything seems to be fine until I got to the hydraulic ram cylinders, you can see in the pictures. Whoever did the recent service on this drive put the pins that hold the rams to the bottom portion of the drive put them in backwards!!! I know this because I read the book several times:) So I need some options... I have pulled up, down, side to side, pushed forwards and backwards but to no avail; there is just not enough room that I can find to get those suckers out another half inch on either side. The only thing I have come up with in frustration is to grab the grinder and zip zip them in half and buy new ones. I don't really want to do that...BUT I WILL!!! :lol: Everything else pretty much came off without any problem. The exhaust bellow is new and the entire ujoint assembly is new that I have seen so far. The drive bellow is shot, and the water inlet tube is no surprise bubbled at the end, the oil top and bottom appears to be pretty fresh, AND I found out where that other link oring gasket came from off the 280.

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here are the pics of the dilemma. Maybe I only have to slice one off and that will make enough room for the other side to slide out. Not sure, but that is going to be the plan of attack for tomorrow. Get the drive off and pull the shield off, remove the motor, the gas tank, steering and gauges. At that point I will dispose of the hull and begin searching for tires, the rim size is only 14" and 5 lug so I will be on the look out for some tires that will raise the trailer a bit; it sits pretty low and does not back up my driveway well. Anyway take a look, make your comments, jokes, or throw in your 2 cents. Thanks as always peeps

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OOOOrrr, I can come back to it the next day with a zero frustration level, look and see why they won't come out and mess around with some of the spring thingys underneath and pull em right out. I will take a little break and let the wd40 soak in and pull out the transom shield complete with all hydraulic hoses connected all the way to the front for now. The two hoses on the outside of the transom appear as they need to be replaced, no holes but they are cracking on the outside.

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will post the pictures as soon as PB catches up. There is a 2 piece tooth gear of some sort on the top of the steering helmet, the black piece seems to be fine and the white piece seems to just be hanging there. so I will need to take a better look at that when I get to that point.

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey should I just stick the 4 banger in the Montura 196, or is that just craziness??

zool

Captain

I believe the gear sets are interchangeable between the drives, but swapping them is way in the weeds on these drives, you would need to set the gear lash and adjust it with shims, replace the seals, and may need some of those special tools....lacking hypoid gear service experience, it would prolly be best left to a shop equipped to do it. The parts are the expensive part, and you have them, it would be just labor, maybe 2-3 hours for a pro...maybe you could get a good deal from the guys that said you could have the ypipe...you could leave them both drives, and have them make the swap...ooor...the instructions for servicing the gears, including the dye test gear lash procedure, are all in the manual :D...That 290 lower looks in great shape, and would make a nice home for a set of 1:61 gears...

Just swapping the lowers is easier, but that 280 lower is a little wacked with all the holes....but it would work.

It would probably be the cheapest, or similar in cost, to use the 151/290 setup complete in the Monterey....it has 146hp. I have a 17' sea ray with a 130 merc in it, and its not a total dog....

The black plastic gear on the helmet is for the trim, the black gear is usually fine, the white strip gets brittle and you should change it.

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well here is what I have gained, it appears the 290 is in great shape, the exhaust bellow is in great condition. I took everything I could out of the Invader; it looks like the wiring and steering system will match right up. I am going to mock everything up to make sure everything fits/works, and take it to the lake to see if we have a floater/runner! YES, keep in mind... we still have no idea if we are making a SUBMARINE!!! the hydraulic tilt system doesn't seem as daunting as I had expected, but stay tuned. Ya never know. Any pictures you guys are looking for, that I can provide?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Dan, You should familiarize yourself with the rules of our Forum. Only the OP is allowed to Post to a thread that's older than 90 days old.