Monterey Montura Newbie - need help

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I need loads of help, and I am in dry dock right in front of my house. The trailer is being painted so until next week it shall sit as you see it.
I got the boat for F.R. double E for obvious reasons but its in good shape; so its the right price for a newbie project. I have a 305 motor in my garage that I can rebuild with ease. What I don't know is how, what else; should I get a bigger motor and rebuild that. I don't have the Y-pipe, or much of the rest I would probably need. I need insight on gimble housings, transom fitting, outdrive suggestions.
I also have some back to back seats that will fit fine, and for now planning on 2 small windscreen type over the helm area and port side.

I have plenty of time to putz, pretty mechanically inclined, have space, and lots of tools. I'm not afraid to strip anything all the way down to the bones and put it back the right way. Budget is 3K

How far in over my head am I.

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Monterey Montura Newbie - need help

Budget is 3K

How far in over my head am I.

About $5k... :laugh: well, maybe, just depends on a lot of factors..

Pics man, we need pics! And some more info.. whats in the boat as it sits currently? As in, drive/engine? A cracked block 5.7? or it's been replaced? ..but you say you have a 305 in your garage, and you don't have the y pipe, which to me would mean the motor is out of the boat... sorry, Im just a little confused.. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Monterey Montura Newbie - need help

Welcome aboard Newbie. I started your own thread. Very confusing to tack onto an existing thread. Good luck! Guys, be nice :)

Last edited:

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1998 Monterey Montura 196

About $5k... :laugh: well, maybe, just depends on a lot of factors..

Pics man, we need pics! And some more info.. whats in the boat as it sits currently? As in, drive/engine? A cracked block 5.7? or it's been replaced? ..but you say you have a 305 in your garage, and you don't have the y pipe, which to me would mean the motor is out of the boat... sorry, Im just a little confused.. :p

I have pics, I do! I am trying to figure out how to post them. They are good for a laugh right now that's for sure. The 305 was in my 56 Ford f-100 when I bought it. No motor/drive empty. Gas tank is there, some wiring I am working out. Any advise to posting pics?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

Before you sink any money into the boat/motor you might want to post some pictures and do some reading here in the restoration forum. The results will let us help you figure out where you are at.

I understand the 3K budget and for 3K you might find a nicer condition boat that is running.

Regardless of what you spend....... you will find this statement true......The is no such thing as a free boat!

Picture posting instructions
http://forums.iboats.com/non-boating-technical-topics/how-posting-pictures-videos-533219.html

Last edited:

bigdirty

I have pics, I do! I am trying to figure out how to post them. They are good for a laugh right now that's for sure.

ya, the 'ugh' at the start of a project.. got my own going on, it happens :lol:

The 305 was in my 56 Ford f-100 when I bought it. No motor/drive empty. Gas tank is there, some wiring I am working out. Any advise to posting pics?

The 305 could be made to work, if it was rebuilt with proper marine parts.. no drive you say, but is there anything left there at this point? (inner aluminum plate with steering attached, a place for a y pipe to attach too?0)Or is it just a bare hole in the back of the transom? Pics posting a lot of guys here use online sites like photobucket, i just use the simple uploader built into this board. I believe there is a topic/post or tutorial here somewhere...

Oh, and welcome to iboats! :)

bigdirty

Regardless of what you spend....... you will find this statement true......The is no such thing as a free boat!

heh... the free ones almost ALWAYS cost the most in the end.. :facepalm:

zool

Captain

Looks like youre gonna be going Volvo Penta on the outdrive...or putting in a transom...

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

2014-03-03 20.24.59.jpg2014-03-03 20.23.12.jpg2014-03-03 20.23.12.jpg2014-03-03 20.23.12.jpg2014-03-03 20.24.03.jpg2014-03-03 20.24.03.jpg224963[/ATTACH]2014-03-03 20.24.03.jpg2014-03-03 20.25.14.jpg

Geez that took me long enough, Worth the giggle?

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The difference being... Newbie to the resto. I had a 2006 Four Winns and it had the motor it came with. I turned the key, moved the thing on the right, and it went where I pointed it.

bigdirty

wow... its just weird to look at a boat in a driveway this time of year that ISNT completely covered in snow! :lol: Not a bad lookin boat man, but the total lack of drive and motor may eat up most of your $3k budget...

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is the first day of excitement, research, and already woes. But yes, I agree. I did find a 4.3 with a volvo drive system that is currently running in another boat. It is a late 70s sea ray, the motor is a 98; he is asking for 2300 for the whole set up. It appears this is the best way for me to go? I know it runs, and fits. That would get the running gear set unless Im missing something.

We don't seem to have any boat recycle r yards within 500 miles so the curved windshield now has me stumped. As for the seating config. I am considering building and recovering a backwards lounge on the port side and a single captains chair at the helm. I found the front chrome grab handles on ebay and ordered those.

I have a red top and yellow top optima on my shelf in the garage and considering running dual batt set up; suggestion or concern.

Also, on the bottom centerline it seems there is about 4 inch by 3 foot span that I can see the glass fibers. Would a beach kit suffice to cover or would I be better off preping the surface and rolling on a couple coats of get coat.

Thanks for your response. No snow here, however, my brother in MN. has four feet in his driveway if your looking for some:)

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

2014-03-03 20.25.59.jpg2014-03-03 20.38.22.jpg, Also, ZOOL. Do you think a v-6 is enough, or better off with a v8? Everything else I own is a v8 but from what I see here I am building for torque rather than pure horsepower. Im fine with the 6, we are just cruisers with a couple towables and a few short lived wake board runs.

zool

Captain

Depending on the vintage of the drive, it may or may not fit your keyhole. VP changed to the standardized MC hole size in the 90's...it was around the SX and DP S series. You want the AQ series drives for that opening. If its the original drive on the SR, it should be an AQ280+-...and hopefully with trim. AQ drives are simple, bullet proof, and require little maintenance, have no gimbles, and require no alignment tools...

A 98 drive most likely wont fit your opening.

Last edited:

zool

Captain

View attachment 224970View attachment 224971, Also, ZOOL. Do you think a v-6 is enough, or better off with a v8? Everything else I own is a v8 but from what I see here I am building for torque rather than pure horsepower. Im fine with the 6, we are just cruisers with a couple towables and a few short lived wake board runs.

The 4.3 should be fine on your rig...plus its coupled with a drive already, so you will have everything...to prep the 305, you will most likely need a new flywheel, plus marinization on the rebuild, and the correct flywheel housing/pds, y pipe, and v8 gear ratio outdrive.

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check the transon, if you are needing to replace it then any I/O motor combination could be installed. With'in the power rating of the boat of course.:)

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Welcome to iboats! That has potential to be a great looking boat!

Okay, a few observations:
Before you start spending any of that $3,000 on parts/pieces, sit down and write out costs for each and every part and piece you're gonna need. You need to also go thru the transom, decking and stringers to verify that they are all in good order (the wood in the transom picture looks dark, which can be indicative of water infiltration/rot?). I see you're in Vegas, so if the boat was stored wide open, at least you're in a dry location!

Motor/out drive: $2,000-$3,000
Windshield: new $1,500-$2,000 (used, if you can find one that fits $200-$500)
Interior: $1,500-$3,000
Misc: $500-$1,000 (ropes, anchor, safety equipment, bellows, batteries, etc)

IMHO you should spend most of that money on a similar donor boat (most bang for your buck!) you may need to travel to a far away land (you say you goy a brother in MN?, perfect...road trip). That where you'll find most of the parts and piecing missing on yours! ( the windshields gonna be the OMG moment if you can find a used one or donor one!

If you're in for dime, then you're in for a dollar! The crew here on iboats will get you thru the build (whatever form that takes).

Ciao,
~Brett