Vanier Surface what paint or varnish should I use too clean up ?

alan ber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Sea Ray a 1984
Sea Ray used a vanieer on all surfaces looking like a wood stain

Boat is a fisherman model. stern has no seats,. engine cover but lots of this vanier on stern and gunnel sides
Corners finished in real teak

Years of rain & sun plastic surface is bleached worn and tired

Wood is okay I can use as a form for new starboard which would be expensive and outlast boat or replace with marine grade ply wood and stain.
Just did not want too occur that expense, & work , just wanted too clean up and make it look better

I used a over counter stain and took days too dry
Back too paint store I find out because I am going over
a plastic surface a varnish will not dry I need a gel varnish
Box stores only had two colors, both dark
Did purchase a dark gel, and when applied I was not happy how it was covering.
I ended up using the gel stain like a paint covering all areas , no stain streaking look just dark paint

I sanded one area back too the vanier next too the dark gel, both look poor

So what would you guys recommend something in a paint just too cover, clean up and look professional

thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Vanier Surface what paint or varnish should I use too clean up ?

Do you have a picture? I am a bit lost on what surface you are trying to re-finish.

If there is a gelcoat on the existing surface then noting will dry (Stain type). If you are trying to refinish gelcoat you have two choices........ more gelcoat or a high quality primer and then surface coat with paint such as a polyurathane or epoxy. The cheapest finish would be an oil based enamel with a hardener.

Take a look at the paints here or gelcoat products Boat Paint, Repair & Maintenance - Boat Carpet, Fiberglass Repair, Antifouling

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Vanier Surface what paint or varnish should I use too clean up ?

I think the surface you're referring to is a plastic wood grained veneer. You cannot stain it, and painting it is the only good viable option. You need to sand it with 220 - 320 grit sandpaper, wipe it down with Mineral Spirits dry it then shoot it with some Krylon Fusion Spray paint. It's specially formulated for plastic. It'll look Great when you're done.

Last edited: