Stainless Steel

john cole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone done any bending of SS tubing, I have a bunch of it off of an old boat and would like to turn it into a bracket assy for on my bimini top for anything from rod holders to maybe a radar dome or spot light sometime. So just wondering before I go out and find a tubing bender for it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Stainless Steel

Yes, I have and made bimini top brackets too. You can cut the curves out of 3/4 plywood and bend around that or get a tubing bender. If you put beach sand inside the tubes you run a lower risk of a kink. Just go slow.

I love stainless steel!!

john cole

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, I have and made bimini top brackets too. You can cut the curves out of 3/4 plywood and bend around that or get a tubing bender. If you put beach sand inside the tubes you run a lower risk of a kink. Just go slow.

I love stainless steel!!

nice, i never would have thought of putting the sand in the tubes. And I have some plywood here too, left over from another project. Now really can't wait to get the off of the boat.

john cole

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I love stainless steel!!

nice, i never would have thought of putting the sand in the tubes. And I have some plywood here too, left over from another project. Now really can't wait to get the cover off of the boat.

kfa4303

Banned

lots of extra, free stainless is a great problem to have in the boat world. It can be hard to work, but it'll last forever and stay shiny.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Yes, I have a friend who buys his tubing in bulk and we bend it around a plywood form ......key is just go slow;)

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Staff member

no heat........ BEST to have 2 people

For a bimini top you only need 2 pieces basically bent into a U

john cole

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not building the brackets for the top itself, but brackets to attach to it, to mount acc to such as pole holders, spot light or whatever.

Speakrdude

Ensign

I use a conduit bender for stainless, not aluminum, to make my tops. Do the homework on the math, (youtube) and anyone can do it.
Looks better than the canvas guys I've seen.

john cole

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a good ideal, u tube to the rescue again.:)

john cole

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i already have one, although I'm keeping my eye open for marina auctions hoping they have some canvas there i can get for reasonable. the top I have is white and would really like to change it to red, to match the boat. you can kind of see the seat cover i made for the rear seats. and i appreciate the link, i just came on to look for something like that. and i will keep all posted on how I do this, it should be interesting, especially to keep it from looking like some piece of crap bolted to the top of my boat :eek:

kfa4303

Banned

a red bimini would be schnazzy. you don't see them very often and it would top off the boat nicely.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Just realize red will fade faster than any other color. For some scientific reason I don't know about red is affected by UV rays more than any other color.

john cole

Petty Officer 2nd Class

interesting I didn't know that. Maybe that's why you don't see a whole lot of them running around