1956 Blue Star Islander Restoration

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1956 Blue Star Islander Restoration

Awesome Gangsta white walls ! :cool:

Drowned Rat

Captain

Thanks guys! Having fun with this project. Lights are all that's left, then it's off to the MVD to get her inspected and licensed.

Time to start on the boat, the real fun begins next. :)

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys! Having fun with this project. Lights are all that's left, then it's off to the MVD to get her inspected and licensed.

Time to start on the boat, the real fun begins next. :)

A set of curb feelers would be "pimp" ! just kidding around, with you, it really does look classic, and you do quality work.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Hope you're all having a great Sunday!

Hoping someone can offer advice on how to deal with this. One of the plastic lenses on my running lights is broken. luckily, it's not part of the main body of the lens. What I want to do is cut it so it's at least straight, or just smooth out the sharp edges. Anyone have any ideas on how to remove some of the plastic material without cracking it or making it worse? Or should I just leave it alone?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Look inside on the back side of the plastic lens. There may be a number, if not, there's like a maker's mark &/or a number on the body of the light. You can probably find lenses on Evilbay, possibly in a trashed light for not much.

bvetter

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you can't find a replacement and want to re-shape the broken edge, I would use a very fine grit sanding drum on a dremel or high speed drill, and sand in the direction (along) of the edge. Don't go perpendicular to the edge, may risk breaking more off if it's brittle. I wouldn't take too much off because it may weaken the tab where the little screw is when you go to put the lens back on the chrome plate.

Drowned Rat

Captain
Well, it took me a while to get around to this, but I'm finally committed to finishing it up. Here's the progress. Just need to touch up the deck where the tape failed me, but the top is done. Going to do the inside hull next, then the outside and seats. I think black seats with white stitching will look pretty cool.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Glad to see your still at it. I don't know about black seats though. Might get pretty toasty out on a sunny day. Although black with white stitching would be sharp.

I love the old Johnson outboard too. Should look real classy on her.:encouragement:

Drowned Rat

Captain
Yeah tnstratofam, I did think about that, being in Phoenix and all. Was just trying to keep it all original colors and that's what it had originally. I supposed I could do white with black stitching. It's not going to be 100% "period" anyway. Deck fitting, windshield, lights are all different. I pulled all the bronze hardware off an old Chris Craft, streamlined cleats and a "Jetson's" stern light!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looks great ! But down here with the black paint you could roast a chicken on it .. :eek:
Not to mention the underside of your arm .. :D

edgepa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Your work is amazing and inspiring. I also have a Islander. No work has been done other than stripping the paint. Other than the upholster, it seems to be complete... Parts are in a box.

I may have made a critical error in separating the deck to strip the paint. The material the held it all together is a bit of mystery..

Please post any updates for the summer!!!

Attachments

• 8a8c54e74869cdda112d1dca9b266825s_8.jpg
    8a8c54e74869cdda112d1dca9b266825s_8.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 0