1978 Galaxy 20' Cuddy Cabin Boat.... Any info on these would be appreciated

painthorsman

Cadet
Hi All... I just picked up a 1978 Galaxy 20 foot Cuddy Cabin Boat... The HIN is GALJ4047M78D. I know nothing about em other than I got it for 100 bucks and an Olympus Digital Camera in trade...with the tandem axle trailer. The hull is in pretty good shape... the few scrapes and gouges it has have been filled with fiberglass resin...the gel coat is in pretty good shape.....the floor and seats are good but faded... However.. the 160 hp six cyl Mercruiser engine has milky oil... I'm guessing a crack in the water jacket. The log / exhaust manifold seems to have no cracks but I'm guessing that maybe someone didnt completely get all the water out of the block and possibly cracked it. All the electrical stuff and tilt trim work...tilt gauge isnt working, outdrive seems to be in good shape but has a chip out of the skag and the prop has a lil damage to the outer edges.

My questions are...1. Can anyone tell me anything about these boats... I've read they're out of business and have changed hands a zillion times since the early 90's. 2. Are the six cylinder inlines prone to crack? Is there any real good way to check other than capping everything off and pressure checking?.. there are no external cracks that I've found. I'm tempted to pull the drain plug and then fill the block with antifreeze mix to see if any water comes out... before I change the oil and try to run it. The guy wanted 2500.00 for the boat til I pointed out the milky engine oil..... Worst case scenario, where can I find a decent used block or engine.... my daughter's plans of getting dragged around on a tube on Table Rock Lake might be on hold for a little while....

Dang forum wont let me upload a .jpg file... picture of this boat!.... goes through all the hoops then tells me it failed...I can send pics to about any other forum I'm on... this one must think I'm an alien or something