replacing rotten plywood transom

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: replacing rotten plywood transom

What kind of boat are you working on? It makes a difference.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Plywood won't absorb water if it's encapsulated properly and then cared for and maintained properly. My transom is Plywood and over 50 yrs old. If you coat it with epoxy and paint it and then always predrill and coat the holes and hardware with 3M 4200 sealant, it'll last longer than you'll own the boat.;)

Last edited:

tmorgan

Cadet

Hi
Another option is to use marine plywood and if it needs to be very thick you can laminate pieces and use ext glue.
Terry

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Even Marine plywood needs to be encapsulated and sealed. It will rot too! It just takes longer!!:joyous:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

with woodenglass's approach on this -- exterior plywood OK (can upgrade if you want, even to marine), but has to be encapsulated as best you can. I like West System for coating, and thickened a little for bonding (likely want two 3/4" plys, bonded together). Water comes in through the top and sides/bottom. Those little top holes for the transom trim let in water, which wicks down and around. Epoxy mainly, some 5200, also like to conservatively use some expanding foam on the bottom and sides, wherever the fit isn't quite flush, to force out any moisture and block other water intrusion.

Last edited:

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I too have an aluminum boat with a piece of wood on the inside of the transom. WHEN it does need replacing, I'm gonna get some of the new decking material available at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. etc. If needed, and for extra strength, double up the sheets/planks to the required thickness and more than likely never have to worry about replacing the transom wood again.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I too have an aluminum boat with a piece of wood on the inside of the transom. WHEN it does need replacing, I'm gonna get some of the new decking material available at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. etc. If needed, and for extra strength, double up the sheets/planks to the required thickness and more than likely never have to worry about replacing the transom wood again.
If you're talking about the "Composite Plastic" stuff you might want to reconsider that. It's NOT structural and will not hold up to the forces placed on it by the outboard. It's been discussed here on the forum and determined to not be a good alternative. Wood transoms, if sealed and maintained properly will last 40+ years and that should be long enough for anyone.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

If you're talking about the "Composite Plastic" stuff you might want to reconsider that. It's NOT structural and will not hold up to the forces placed on it by the outboard. It's been discussed here on the forum and determined to not be a good alternative. Wood transoms, if sealed and maintained properly will last 40+ years and that should be long enough for anyone.

absolutely agree. Transom structure scares me, particularly with big high torque outboards.

However -- replaced the unsalvagable teak seats on my my 14' Stracraft with treated decking, and it's been OK -- except, apparently, for risk of some corrosive effect on the aluminum mounting brackets. It dried and shrank after a couple of months, and I respaced the deck boards in the brackets. I might consider using the composite decking if I do another one, and see how that works. Support under the seats is good with the aluminum framing under there, which holds in the flotation foam which also firms up seat support.

Last edited: