Treated plywood

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know I read on hear somewhere to not use pressure treated plywood in your aluminum boat, I was just wondering why, I have helped replace the floor in a lowes bass boat, and a pontoon boat, both came from the factory with pressure treated plywood, does it do something to aluminum

firstcatch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Treated plywood

Not sure what threads you are referring to but I think there are 2 concerns.

1) The bond between the aluminum and the wood.
2) Even treated plywood will absorb moisture over time.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Most treated wood has some copper in it and the copper will leach out and make a battery with your aluminum. The manufacturers that use it are using a special kind that's hard for us regular guys to get. It must be purchased in a full pallet in most cases.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Most treated lumber is treated with a copper salt and as George pointed out, there is one process that is used that is aluminum friendly, however not available to the general public

Most people simply redeck with exterior grade plywood and seal the face.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You can buy it online, or if you're lucky you may be near one of the suppliers and can just pick it up. You can buy 1 sheet at a time if you want, but the shipping could be pricy.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The treated plywood that manufacturers put in their boats is CCA kiln dried pressure treated plywood.

The pressure treated plywood you will find at Home Depot or Lowes etc. is ASQ plywood and is a different formula and is highly corrosive to aluminum and isn't kiln dried either.

Before 2002 all pressure treated wood was CCA formula, but they changed over to the ASQ in 2002 and only allow CCA for marine applications now.

CCA pressure treated plywood is about $100 per sheet.

http://www.pontoonstuff.com/cca-treated-marine-grade-pontoon-plywood.aspx

Last edited:

fishrdan

Admiral

The treated ply used by boat manufacturers is CCA treated as JnG pointed out, and it's safe for contact with aluminum. CCA has arsenic (poison), so it's regulated now, expensive and hard to get.

CCA has a yellowish/oragne tint to it, while ACQ (the stuff that will eat an aluminum boat) has a green tint.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

You need to give PT wood a little more attention when used in boats.

I would,

1 Wash it. Take a garden hose and scrub brush and get that slimy scuz off the surface.

2 Dry it. This could take months. My preferred spot is up on the ceiling joists under the rafters in my garage. It lays flat, gets air and heat from the roof.

3. Seal it. Polyurethane, Spar, whatever you prefer.

4. Insulate it. Anywhere that the plywood would touch the aluminum put something in between. I like that sticky tar tape stuff. Whatever as long as it doesn't absorb water and keeps the PT from touching the Aluminum.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok I got it I would have never thought that it would be different treated all together, seems if I did all that to regular outdoor plywood it should be just about as good as treated

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class

In my part of the country, all of the old CCA and the newer ACQ is yellow pine which is a closed grain wood and when allowed to dry in the sun will tend to warp an buckle. I did stick frame houses for a while and anytime we would bust a bundle, I would make the guys strap it back as soon as they got what they needed out of the unit. Unit being a full bundle of plywood.

AC Exterior or even AD Exterior would be what I would use sealed (especially on the edges and inside any holes where the end grain of the filler plies are) using Spar. Spar was developed for marine use years ago and is a hybrid. End Grain is what will get you. It is a direct route for moisture to wick into the wood.

ACX/ADX should be SPF outer plies with a cheaper wood such as Luaun Mahogany (which isn't really Mahogany) for the filler cores. Spruce, Pine, and Fur (SPF) are all open grain woods and doesn't warp as bad, not to say that they won't.

About 20 years ago the plywood industry changed how they graded plywood and went to a more open standard allowing more voids in the filler plies and the construction grades are loaded with "soft spots" in CDX versions. The "A", "B", "C", "D" are grades with "A" being better than "B" and so on. This comes form the look and the amount of sanding. "A" will have very few "football" plugs, while "D" will be loaded with them. Lumber Core has a solid wood filler with either AA or AB finish, but uses an interior glue for laminating.

Actual Marine Plywood would be the preferred due to its greater number of plies and greater absence of voids in the filler plies and true Marine Plywood carries stamping to certify it, some even to Loyd's of London and British Standards and is tested to moisture and even boiling, but sealed correctly the ACX or ADX will last a long, long time.

I now work on aircraft parts and I see the damaged caused by corrosion almost every day and I wouldn't put ANYTHING against AL that would even slightly, hazard my boat.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

What kind of finish are going to put on that deck Dave? Paint, vinyl, carpet?

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class

ether carpet or vinyl, carpet if my cuts and edges are crapy, vinyl if nice and smooth. depends on what I need to hide jig

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

haven't done any reflooring in alum hulls, although have replaced transoms in a few. I always use A/C plywood, sheathed in epoxy -- didn't know there was potential for chemical reaction, but maybe got lucky with the heavy epoxy coating. I've avoided use of treated wood because of moisture content and warping, so maybe lucked out there too for the chemical issues.

I wonder if painting the contact points in an aluminum hull would make a difference in reflooring? Maybe painting, combined with some kind of gasket liner? winging it here, obviously. I'm still a big believer in sealing, but the abrasion probably would result in raw wood contact in the case of a floor.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes bgc I am going to glass the heck out of it. I had thought about painting the treated but just to many down sides to mess with that stuff, the good thing is this is a small boat I think 3 sheets will do it, so I can try somethings if it doesn't work out I can replace it, when I finally get these pics up, You guys are going to tell me to scrap this old beast anyway

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

2 part epoxy resin is an easier, quicker, safer, and better alternative to fiberglassing. No noxious/flammable fumes and no itchy fiberglass mat/cloth to fool with.

If poly resin and glass cloth was that good of a sealer we wouldn't be seeing rotten stringers and transoms in all the fiberglass boat restorations.

Last edited:

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't have felt comfortable using the interior grade plywood no matter how it was sealed. How much maintenance does it require bgc and did you do anything after the glassing, i.e. paint, gelcoat?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

2 part epoxy resin is an easier, quicker, safer, and better alternative to fiberglassing. No noxious/flammable fumes and no itchy fiberglass mat/cloth to fool with.

If poly resin and glass cloth was that good of a sealer we wouldn't be seeing rotten stringers and transoms in all the fiberglass boat restorations.

99% of the rotten wood in in glass boats is due to poor workmanship and design, it has little to do with the resin system.

While epoxy works far better for sealing wood when no glass is used and has little to no odor, it can be highly toxic, far more than a polyester. So saying it's safer can be misleading.