25 gal plastic fuel tank has dangerous "patch"!

weirdpuckett

Cadet
Hello everybody, I have just acquired my own boat.It needs some TLC of course, and one of the problems is that the fuel tank was patched using some neoprene rubber with what appears to be bathtub caulk and 9 sheet metal screws(yes , metal screws) randomly placed around the edges.
Could this be replaced effectively by marine TeX putty or should I just buy a new tank altogether?
I like the idea of a patch since it seems less expensive..
I was thinking that this current patch is not only dangerous ( the battery is down in same compartment with wires just laying on top of tank etc.....)but is probably letting a good amount of air into fuel system as well as debris....I have not started engine or tried to do ANYTHING with this boat as I am quite frankly scared! Any feedback welcome never had a boat before......

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 25 gal plastic fuel tank has dangerous "patch"!

Replace it.
Fill out your profile / signature so we know what kind of boat you have, what year, engine, drive,pics,etc.
Welcome

weirdpuckett

Cadet

Replace it.
Fill out your profile / signature so we know what kind of boat you have, what year, engine, drive,pics,etc.
Welcome

Thanks seaman! I'll do that....

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer

...I like the idea of a patch since it seems less expensive..

Likely what the last guy thought, who 'patched' it as such..

...I was thinking that this current patch is not only dangerous ( the battery is down in same compartment with wires just laying on top of tank etc.....)but is probably letting a good amount of air into fuel system as well as debris..........

well, you are likely thinking in the right direction there.. :laugh:

+1 for replacing the tank, and welcome to old boats! :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well the tanks need to be vented..... :facepalm:

Nothing will stick to the plastic :(

It is a replacement candidate.