Alumacraft, Crestliner, or something else? (Help me identify my boat)

cpresley2

Recruit
Hi everyone--

I'm new to boating, and just bought my first boat. I wanted something vintage, so I bought a really cool looking v-hull, but I don't know for sure if it's an Alumacraft, Crestliner, or something else altogether. It's definitely had some modifications, and I've combed the Internet to no avail trying to figure out the make and model. It came with a 1955 Evenrude 35 horsepower engine. Attached are pictures, and I'm hoping someone can help me identify this boat.

Thank you!

Christal Presley (in Atlanta, GA)

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 1

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Alumacraft, Crestliner, or something else? (Help me identify my boat)

Hey, welcome to the best boat site on the net :) I would lean towards Crestliner, but I'm not a tin guy really.. so hopefully someone else here can help out with the ID.. i'm digin the old school 'rude motor though, :thumb: that's a nice looking piece, runs/works good?

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class

No such thing as a 1955 35hp Evinrude. It looks like you have a 1957 model. When you get ready to refresh the motor (assuming it may need tuned up) head on over to the Johnson/Evinrude forum. Quite a few guys there that can help you with questions that might come up. Beautiful motor by the way.

64osby

Admiral

CP - Great looking Tin boat and Lark. There were lots of old aluminum boat makers way back when. Doesn't look like a Starcraft or a Lone*Star. I'd say take a look at Fiberglassics site, Library, Aluminum boats. They have as much info on old tinny's as is available on the web, if you haven't already.

There are many tin heads here that will gladly help with any questions you may have.

Welcome to the best boating site on the web.:)

jbcurt00

Staff member

What are the dimensions of your boat?

Length?

Max beam/width?

Transom width/beam?

Nice looking, might also look thru the Crestliners here, lots of good brochure pages of vintage Crestliners. I didn't see any that looked similar, and none that had the secondary splash rail along the back 2/3rds of the boat.

Or the Alumacraft brochures here

Start w/ 1955-58 model years, around what you thought was the Larks model year.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can tell by the floor to seat support and the c-channel floor support in the third photo that it is a Cherokee Aluminum Boat made by the McKenzie Boat Mfg. Co. of Tennessee.

There is not much info out there but I'm pretty sure of my I.D.

The hull seams in mine are welded. Is yours? I don't know it that was the case in all models.

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/mckenzie-boat-mfg-co-312729.html

Cherokee 003.JPG

Last edited:

papahoward

Recruit
Definitely a McKenzie from McKenzie TN. I have a 1959 McKenzie Cherokee semi-restoration in progress with the original 59 Gale 35hp engine. This is my first also and has been a lot of work but very rewarding. Below is pix of the framework on the Cherokee with a close up. Good luck.

McKenzie Framework2.jpg

McKenzie Framework1.jpg

Attachments

• McKenzie Framework1.jpg
    McKenzie Framework1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 5

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It is a McKenzie, I had the exact same boat that I sold a couple of years ago, neat old boats.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Guys - This is an oldie by a one post wonder. Let it go back to sleep. Thanks.