1973 Glastron V-156 Sportster Floor/Stringer Restoration

tpenfield

Staff member
Subscribing in. Looks like a nice project and good work. :thumb:

jmink

Seaman
Project Update

Stringers and Frames are now glassed in. Also check out what I did for a water drainage system. Here's my video update below:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Not wanting to open up a can of worms but...won't your drainage system only drain the center section and only if the water enters from the front center most section? All the other areas will be sealed up with foam and there's no way for the water to gain access to the drainage tubes. OR am I missing something???:noidea:

jmink

Seaman
Not wanting to open up a can of worms but...won't your drainage system only drain the center section and only if the water enters from the front center most section? All the other areas will be sealed up with foam and there's no way for the water to gain access to the drainage tubes. OR am I missing something???:noidea:

There's no can of worms to open. The way water will travel is only thru the front open bow section to the hull underneath the bow then thru the drain tubes to the back. The other areas will be 100% sealed off and filled with foam to keep water away. The foam will be underneath the entire deck minus the bow rider.

Last edited:

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have the same boat (even year and color) Mink and an thoroughly enjoying your build with all the videos and such.

Will help once I start my tear-down and rebuild.

jmink

Seaman
I have the same boat (even year and color) Mink and an thoroughly enjoying your build with all the videos and such.

Will help once I start my tear-down and rebuild.

Thank you sir! I'm working hard on it trying to do everything the best I can. Glad you are following me along and I appreciate the comments!

redfury

Commander
Hey minkman what tools would I need to start restoring my 1974 glastron v178

Same boat I have, just a year newer. First tool you'll need is a hammer and a pry bar. After that, get a good grinder, or a few crappy ones. another tool that I wish existed when I started my boat was an oscillating saw. I have the Rockwell version and would recommend it to anyone that works on projects. Invaluable.

KingRhino

Cadet
Hello, I'm new here and have just bought my first boat, a 1976 Glastron sportster. Hope you don't mind if I tag along on your rebuild and try to soak up as much knowledge as I can before I start my own rebuild.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hey MM good to see you're still at it!!! Your Glassing skill are exemplary.:sad:

Keep up the good work!!!

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Looking good Mink!

It takes time but is well worth it when it's done

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Mink, I was wondering where you have been... Glad to see your still at it. Great work.

tpenfield

Staff member
Looking good. If I understand the video (just skimmed through it), you fiberglassed the underside of the plywood decking. That is a good thing and something that the boat manufacturers do not do, nor does some of the restorations that we see on the forums do. Fully glassing the wood should add good longevity to the boat.

jbcurt00

Staff member
A pix and description would be helpful. Not everyone can load youtube and watch videos to follow along or help.