1958 lone star malibu boat restoration help

Status
Not open for further replies.

goatnad

Seaman
Hello everyone. this is my first posting on this site and really my first time to attempt to do a restoration on a boat. I have a friend that works on cars and such that will be helping and guiding me through the process. First let me give you some info on the boat. Its a 1958 lone star malibu as far as i can tell. Ive looked up info and brochures and that model fits the build. It has a 35 hp evinrude lark(think its a 1971) on back and some type of johnson trolling motor(not sure of the power output or model). This was a boat my grandfather owned and i received when he passed away. It sat under a shed/overhang for almost the last 10 years with no one even cranking it up. I have already stripped everything off of it and i have stripped the paint using aircraft paint stripper. The boat is in amazing shape with no rust(aluminum doesnt rust anyways right?) or pitting anywhere on the boat. There are minor scratches where i assume logs and such have scrapped the boat during use but nothing major. The right side seam does leak but it is very minor and i plan on using gluvit to seal it up. Once that is done i will move on to painting it. I have looked into whats needed for painting but i get so many options im not sure which to go with. The process i was thinking of doing is this, vingear and water for prepping the boat for primer then using a self etching primer from rustoleum(ive heard mixed reviews about the self etching). Then i would go with rustoleum marine paint( top version for top and bottom for bottom as im not sure if i will use this for saltwater or not.) Is this the way to go or is there a better way? im not really looking to do a professional nor a costly restoration but i do want it to look nice. Im unsure of what paint to use though. I know next to nothing about paint and i need to know what the difference is in alkyd paint and epoxy paint. can alkyd be put on the rustoleum self etching primer or should i go with another coat of another primer on top of the self etching?Well thats it for the painting process, now on to the parts i need.

I will be posting pictures along with this post so you guys can see the boat and the parts need for the boat. What i need is pretty much a complete steering setup. Steering wheel, pullies, cables, rod and mount for the steering wheel. I do have the pullies, cables and rod and mount for it but they are not in good shape and would rather just replace them completely. I will also need throttle and gearing cables and the electrical system for the boat( the square box with wires coming out in one of the pictures). Now on to repairs.

I took this boat to a guy to restore and he turned out to just be a thief. There was a pretty good dent in the side which he heated and bent out but in the process bent the flat part of the hull into bumpy and bent(see the pictures i posted). Is there anyway to get this back flat? Well i cant think of anything to say now. I would really really appreciate any and all input i could get on this. it will be at least another 2 weeks before start the paint job. Thank you everyone in advance for the help.

Attachments

• 2014-02-10 11.25.28.jpg
    2014-02-10 11.25.28.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 2014-02-24 09.33.30.jpg
    2014-02-24 09.33.30.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 2014-02-24 09.38.32.jpg
    2014-02-24 09.38.32.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 2014-02-24 09.38.15.jpg
    2014-02-24 09.38.15.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 4
  • 2014-02-24 09.34.29.jpg
    2014-02-24 09.34.29.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 4

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1958 lone star malibu boat restoration help

Hi Goat. Welcome to iboats. Sweet little project you've got there. It sounds like you're doing everything right as far as paint. It's all about the prep. The more prep the better she'll look, but don't drive yourself crazy over it. Here are some handy links to help you get the motor running and some new hardware for the cable pulley system. Check ebay and other sites for Lonestar specific badges, decals, etc....

Reviving a Vintage Big Twin - Part 1
Cable Steering Hardware
Ronstan Steering Drum

goatnad

Seaman

Wow alright. glad to hear im headed in the right direction :). Also thanks to both of you for the insanely fast replies. I figured i would wait days for help. thanks alot for the pully system. any clue on where to find the cable for it or can i get that style cable at the local hardware store? i know they have covered cables similar to those. The only part i will probably keep will be the round pully thing that goes on the back of the steering wheel. its in a good shape but when the guy took the wheel off he messed up the long shaft that it mounts to so i will have to place that. Also the pully's probably could be salvaged but i think i will just go with a new set seeing as they are not that expensive. again thanks for all the help and all the links. ill keep you guys updated with pics as i go along. One last thing. any hope for fixing the burnt bent part on the side of the boat?

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The cable is standard 1/4 or 5/16 vinylclad cable. Lowe's, HD, or Ace Hardware usually carries it. That one pulley piece in the pic fits on the motor so make sure and KEEP that. You would advse you to replace all the PUlleys. I did. There should be 4 more pulleys in the boat and you'll need a set of tesion springs as well.

I'm not much of a "Tinner" but... Once she's painted those dent's won't looks so bad and most of the guys kinda like em. Kinda Like Battle Scars!!!

goatnad

Seaman

thanks for the link. I used a link from kfa4303 and have bought the springs(2), pulleys(4), and the clamps(2) for the cables. Yes i will be keeping the dual pulley thing. Im having a heck of a time finding a steering wheel. Seems they are as rare as the windshields and the steering wheel badge. JEEZ! 235 bucks for the badge on ebay! think ill pass on that. lol

If i cant find a vintage wheel would i possibly be able to use one from here?
Boat Steering Wheels

ill stop by lowe's and home depot tomorrow to grab some etching primer and look for the cable. I have a few more pictures here. The first picture is parts off the steering system. Not sure if i can use them but going to keep them as they look okay. The second pic is the "control panel" with the choke and key. I really like the emblem in the middle of it. I still need to remove it before paint and will probably have to replace the choke button as it is dry rotted and not sure if it even works. I tried to test the boat when i first got it and when i touched the positive to the battery the boat just started trying to crank. got a friend to try and turn it off and it didn't work. I have tested it and it does shift in and out of gear fine so im hoping for the best. The third pick will be of the motor. The fourth pic is of the badge that goes in the dash. it is in pristine condition on the front side and has a small circular rust spot on the back side. A light sanding will take care of that. The fifth picture is of compass mount that im assuming someone added later on? I havent seen and original pictures or the brochures that shows it on the boat. I like it on there so i will probably add it back and find a replacement compass for it. I think that is all for now.

Attachments

• 2014-02-25 00.55.59.jpg
    2014-02-25 00.55.59.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 2014-02-24 23.57.39.jpg
    2014-02-24 23.57.39.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2014-02-24 23.44.06.jpg
    2014-02-24 23.44.06.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 2014-02-24 23.39.06.jpg
    2014-02-24 23.39.06.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 2014-02-24 23.45.05.jpg
    2014-02-24 23.45.05.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 1

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Always enjoy watching another Lone Star come back to life, you have a great little boat there and the mini fins just add to the vintage of your project. There are a few of us LS guys around here, I'm working on a glass 60-61 model(Fleetwood), With twin 35's I will opt for a modern steering system, mine was already modified, but all the pulleys were still there. Keep feeding us pictures so we can get through winter. Mine will be ready for paint come springtime. Are you keeping the interior stock? I have all the original stuff for mine, but am not sure which way I want to go. Thanks for sharing your project.

goatnad

Seaman

Greenbush future If thats the boat in your avatar then that is one sweet boat. I would kill to have a twin setup. I would like to see pictures of that when its done and any pictures anyone else has of a malibu restored. I need a reference pic of how people may have finished their malibu. The brochure shows a good bit but i would like more detailed photos. I am going to try and keep the interior as close as possible to original but after looking for parts for the last 2 weeks it seems i will have to change a few minimal things.

Here is how i am going to paint it and how the seats are going to look.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/wiki/images/4/4b/Lonestarb59006.jpg
I will paying someone to upholster the seats for me. The seats will be slightly modified. I am going to make it a split removable seat that will have a hidden point to put one of the raised fishing chairs. I will do this in the front and the back on alternate sides.

goatnad

Seaman

I am back once again. Sorry for all the questions and the multiple post but im just trying to make sure I'm doing it right and don't mess anything up. The picture I have here is of the front cap piece.

2014-02-25 13.38.03.jpg

Can this be removed for painting and it not affect the boat? I want to make sure this cap doesn't have to be there to hold the boat together(taking it off just for paint. will be put back on of course). I can just tape it off if need be.I'm going today to talk to a local glass guy about possibly making me a windshield and mount. If not i will attempt to use one of the links from earlier to make my own but will probably fail miserably :(.

I need to replace the wood on the transom but unsure of how to put the wood in. Anyone have links to this process? I'm sure i can get the old wood out but it looks a bit tricky to put it back in.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

As I recall from previous threads, this is a BEAST to remove and you'd be better off not to! Let me PM a member and see if he'll stop by and give you some advice. He had a similar boat with a similar bow cap. Transom Pics would help us give you better advice.

goatnad

Seaman

Here are the transom pictures.

I have found a company that can manufacture me a windshield but i need measurements of the windshield(which i don't have). anyone out there with these measurements?

Attachments

• 2014-02-25 15.02.20.jpg
    2014-02-25 15.02.20.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 2014-02-25 15.02.34.jpg
    2014-02-25 15.02.34.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 2014-02-25 15.03.20.jpg
    2014-02-25 15.03.20.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 2014-02-25 15.03.35.jpg
    2014-02-25 15.03.35.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

As I recall from previous threads, this is a BEAST to remove and you'd be better off not to! Let me PM a member and see if he'll stop by and give you some advice. He had a similar boat with a similar bow cap. Transom Pics would help us give you better advice.

I'm the other guy! ;)

Mine is a Starcraft Jet Star. That's a nice unique bow cap you've got on there. At the time I was doing mine, I knew of a couple people who said they just popped theirs off. But mine didn't want to budge, even after a lot of staring and thinking and prodding. Finally, I decided it wasn't worth the chance of breaking it so I just masked it off with green frog tape when I painted. I would probably guess that yours is even more scarce than mine was, so if I were you, I'd just mask it off.

Here's where I got into the bow cap on my project: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/1964-15-starcraft-aluminum-runabout-project-309879-6.html#post2668465

And a little more later on starting here: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/1964-15-starcraft-aluminum-runabout-project-309879-20.html#post3227673

Thanks, Wood, for pointing me here!

Last edited:

goatnad

Seaman

I will just do as you say and tape it off. it would be easier than trying to figure it out. thanks for the help.

PS I really like what you did with that boat. The flooring in it looks great.

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks, goatnad. I also meant to say that you might be able to smooth up your dent by applying JB Weld with a putty knife, getting it as level as you can, and then sand it smooth.

Try to get it as close as possible during the initial application, because it cures really hard and is a bear to sand. But it does work, you might be able to improve that area.

kfa4303

Banned

I love the fins!!! +1 on leaving the cap in place too. Don't remove anything you don't have to. Just tape over it and paint around it. I can't wait to see how she turns out. Can you say Batmobile????????

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Agree, those fins are ultra-cool!

goatnad

Seaman

Holy Cow fka!! I originally was thinking of doing it as a batmobile. I planned on making a fin that would mount to the motor and painting it black with red pen lines. also i would have looked into getting a custom double bubble windshield made like the ones from the original batman tv series. It would have been sweet and if i can ever find another one of these i just might do it.

Ned L

Commander

About the compass gimbal you posted a picture of, ..... it would not be original, and you will have a hard time finding a compass to fit that 'vintage' style gimal. Your best bet is to leave it on the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.