Starcraft restoration question

danoutbard

Petty Officer 3rd Class
IMG_2308c.jpg

Hi folks,

I did restore this Starcraft (pix attach) a couple of years ago. While doing this, i did remove the side panels covering the inside and also i removed the old seats. By doing this, i ended up with the boat a lot lighter than it was. I also put a 90hp (maximum alowed) to replace the 70Hp. I'm happy with the gain of room in the pit, but i feel the boat is a bit unbalance now, i mean, a bit too light in front.... not eating the waves that good. My question: what is the best way to add some weight in front so it feel a bit heavier.

Thanks

Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: Starcraft restoration question

what year/length/model? (it looks like a Holiday).

Do you have anymore pics on the interior? Pre/during/post restoration would feet our appetite :hungry: ...er I mean help disposition your loading issues :D

You can move the fuel-tank & house battery to the bow area. Unfortunately the starting battery needs to remain near the OB unless you have some very large gauge cable.

Those side panels are important to support the outer-chine area especially on older models. Post '79 models, starcraft added some braces but they only reinforce the spray rail.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yup, like BF said, fuel tank up front is about the best solution. But, if you have already rebuild all that it may be tough to get a good spot for it.

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you only want the front end to stay down while running, you may want to look into some trim tabs. They can get you running flatter and stop the side to side "Chine walking" if you are having that trouble also.

danoutbard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

13.jpgIMG_0517.jpgIMG_0519.jpg14.jpg

Here is some more pix prior to restore to help indentify model and year.

Thanks for all replies

N.B Stay tune more pix to come :joyous:

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ah, yah, Holiday, no prob, just pop a pair of fuel tanks up under the bow there.

danoutbard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Now about the side panels , BlueFin16 mention <Those side panels are important to support the outer-chine area especially on older models>

Can you help me well understand that...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Before and after is showing a good looking resto. About all you can do is store extra fuel tanks under the bow and and anything else that can be moved from under the splashwell. You can get Nauticus trim tabs very reasonable here on iboats. Nauticus Trim Tabs - iboats

classiccat

Now about the side panels , BlueFin16 mention <Those side panels are important to support the outer-chine area especially on older models>

This cartoon I made may help explain it.

What happens to an undersupported/unsupported outer-chine:
StarcraftFlipGarage20130902_MG_1653_zps449762ee.jpg

StarcraftPortPatches20130922_MG_1750_zps17b562bf.jpg

classiccat

... really nice job on that exterior paint!

dozerII

Admiral

The side panels tie the gunwales and hull sides to the floor, therefore stopping flex in the chin area of the hull, which are subject to cracking. The chin area is the v type part of the hull that protrudes out along the transition form the sides to the bottom of the hull. Old Islanders got the right idea a set of trim tabs would fix you right up with out gaining any bow weight. Like these for example. http://www.************/product/Boa...dnACg&rid=20&gclid=CLiKmYrR4LwCFdeUfgod3hUACQ

danoutbard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is a very well put schematics by BlueFin. That tells me that i need to reinstall some side panels, they are important. Looks like i might use your help for that. Finding the right materiel, installation technique etc.

Thanks for the good word about my restoration job :joyous: ;)

Last edited:

classiccat

That is a very well put schematics by BlueFin. That tells me that i need to reinstall some side panels, they are important. Looks like i might use your help for that. Finding the right materiel, installation technique etc.

Thanks for the good word about my restoration job :joyous: ;)

Not a problem! Welcome to the tin-brotherhood! :welcome:

It's a great time of year to browse Starcraft Rebuilds and Restorations. :cool:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

For what it's worth, just changing from the 3 cylinder to the 4 cylinder added about 60lbs to the stern of the boat which also made the bow lighter.

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

^^^^^ That's why you should look into the trim tabs. Adding weight to the bow of the boat will only make it "plow" more water. You want to apply lift to the transom to bring the bow down. This is accomplished with trim tabs. Your handling will be improved and I'd bet your fuel consumption will be also. Riding over water is what you want... plowing it out of your way is not.

danoutbard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi folks,

Here's some pictures of my Starcraft inner-sides so you can help me install some braces.

I'm taking very seriously the fact that i did remove the old panels and that there is no support for the outer-chine

Thanks a lot :)

IMAG0417.jpg

IMAG0418.jpg

IMAG0419.jpg

SigSaurP229

Commander

Trim tabs should fix her right up. It really isn't difficult to install the side bolsters though I am imagining you are missing the trim hardware for them.

Use some aluminum angle to tie it into the floor, and Stainless Steel bolts and lock washers to tie it into the hull.

grzzzz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem when I replaced my 4 cyl inboard with a 6 cylinder. It is a matter of getting the balance and/or CG back where you want it. The boat will displace the same amount of water no matter where the weight is in the boat. Some laws will not change. Yes trims will balance you out when running but it does not change your over all CG of the boat. And installing them will work but if they are not adjustable you will have to play with them to get them where you want the boat to set at the speed you will be moving. I balanced my boat and found the CG before I began swapping things out and around. I marked that spot and used it as reference as I went along. I put in a tank under deck, forward and put my 2 batteries in the bow and got within 3/4" of original CG.

Grzzzz

danoutbard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great thanks for the replys folks

Ciao