1956 Johnson 15hp re-painting

Drowned Rat

Captain
Hi guys,

I've got this motor mechanically sound and now I'd like to make it look great too! I could use some advice on the painting process. I'm not looking for a show room finish because I know I don't have the skills for that. I do want it to look as good as possible with the tools that I have. I'm going to use spray paint, Holiday Bronze and Cream from the period that I found on Ebay. I've cleaned the beast as best I can, but I don't know how to get some of the nooks underneath the tray clean, much less prepped for painting. Any tips you guys use to access these hard to get to areas? Any of you ever use paint stripper? Any reason I shouldn't use paint stripper? :)

My other questions are about the paint and primer. What is a good spray can primer to use on aluminum? Can I use something from the Home Depot? And, what is a good clear coat spray I can use?

I have the new decal set. Does this go on top of the clear coat or do I apply the decal and then spray clear coat over the decal?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I'm grateful for any advice you can offer. Thanks so much! I'll post some pics of the project in it's current stage in a bit.

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: 1956 Johnson 15hp re-painting

Here are some pics of the project in progress.

I'm not going to paint the powerhead, I figure it looks good enough as is.

Mechanically, all I had to do to was replace the magneto parts, I re-packed the speed needles, and changed the lower unit oil, which was dirty but no water. The fuel pump conversion has already been done on this motor, although I really would have preferred the old 2 line system.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Hi guys,

I've got this motor mechanically sound and now I'd like to make it look great too! I could use some advice on the painting process. I'm not looking for a show room finish because I know I don't have the skills for that. I do want it to look as good as possible with the tools that I have. I'm going to use spray paint, Holiday Bronze and Cream from the period that I found on Ebay. I've cleaned the beast as best I can, but I don't know how to get some of the nooks underneath the tray clean, much less prepped for painting. Any tips you guys use to access these hard to get to areas? Any of you ever use paint stripper? Any reason I shouldn't use paint stripper? :)

My other questions are about the paint and primer. What is a good spray can primer to use on aluminum? Can I use something from the Home Depot? And, what is a good clear coat spray I can use?

I have the new decal set. Does this go on top of the clear coat or do I apply the decal and then spray clear coat over the decal?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I'm grateful for any advice you can offer. Thanks so much! I'll post some pics of the project in it's current stage in a bit.

Huh,..?? Where,..??

1st off, Don't strip it to bare aluminum, just scuff it, 'n paint it,....
Any bare aluminum needs etchin' primer,...

Donno what paint ya bought, but, A) clear coat ain't always necessary, nor a good idea,....
B) the clear coat, if ya think ya gotta use it, Must be compatible with the paint ya already bought,...

Personally, I'd skip the clear coat altogether,...

Drowned Rat

Captain

Thank you Bondo for the tips. Never done this before so I wasn't sure.

Where the leg of the motor attaches to the powerhead, underneath, are a lot of areas that you just can't get tools into to clean.

Bondo

Staff member

Thank you Bondo for the tips. Never done this before so I wasn't sure.

Where the leg of the motor attaches to the powerhead, underneath, are a lot of areas that you just can't get tools into to clean.

Ayuh,.... A screwdriver or suitable tool, 'n a green scrubby pad will scuff the paint enough to hold fresh paint,....

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Nice looking older engine there. First of all the one thing you have to understand is that "quality prep work IS the key to a nice finish". That goes for any stage of finish you are wanting. You only know how much time you are willing to spend doing this project. If you just want a nice finish to make it look descent, then do a little sanding/scuffing spray a little primer on the bare metal areas and top cover with most any type paint that you like and is compatible with the primer you selected. Now if you want a extremely nice project that will get the heads turned, that will certainly take a much more in-depth prep effort. There are tons of each type finishes on these threads. I'm a head turning type person myself and so I took a total refurbishing effort to refinish my 1976 40HP Johnson O/B. I will say this though, if you do sand your engine to the bare metal, use zinc chromate primer first followed by whatever primer you select over that zinc chromate. Otherwise the paint will not stay for long. I sanded and sanded and even sand-blasted my OB until I got to the bare metal. Then zinc chromated the bare metal (some use etching primer). Then I used automotive type PPG K36 primer and sanded again. Then I shot PPG automotive base coat followed with some air-brush graphics and a few top coats of clear. It looks amazing, but it wasn't something that was done quickly that's for sure. But there is nothing wrong with doing your engine the way you want... Just make sure it is clean of all dirt, oils and grease and then sand/scuff, prime and paint. There are no set ways to refinish your OB. Just make sure everything you use will hold up to the fuels, oils, and grease you will use and be compatible with each other as well (primer and top paint)... Pressure washing does a pretty good job cleaning the engine...

Drowned Rat

Captain

Thanks gm280 for that. Could you recommend a supplier for the zinc chromate? I would like to use a spray can if it's available that way. I live in Phoenix, but I'm not sure where to look. Home Depot and Walmart don't carry it.

Also, is it necessary to primer over the zinc or can the paint go directly onto the zinc?

jbcurt00

Staff member

I think wally world carries Self Etching primer in a spray can in most locales. HD/Lowes should carry SE or ZC, as should most Napa/auto parts stores....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Kinda Looks like a Flash Gordon Space Helmet!!! FYI...The SE primer only needs Light coat. Then the Regular Primer goes on over that.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Coming along!

I see you found the zinc chromate primer after all. The usual source around here is the NAPA parts dealer. That IS the only place that I know of that carries it. I use to work for the DOD, four decades ago, in the DEPOT black box electronics repair section and we all used zinc chromate primer over any bare aluminum before painting. So if the government uses zinc chromate primer, then it is the best idea to use the same for O/B engine refinishing also. They spend tons of money to figure out the best approach for their needs.

Looks like you're ready for some color coats now. And yes you can spray paint directly over the zinc chromate primer. I used a sandable primer over the zinc chromate because I was wet sanding the finish before base coats. So that way I didn't wet sand back down to bare metal again. But that was just me. You can color coat now if you want. Keep us posted. I'd like to see your end results... :cool:

Drowned Rat

Captain

Thanks guys,

Really appreciate the tips! I'll update as I go.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would highly recommend that you use the recommeded primer for the topcoa and not spray the topcoat directly over the SE Primer. The Primers are formulated to be compatible witht the paint and to aid in adhesion. There have been instances when some paints have adverse reacions to the SE Primer. Better to be safe than sorry. As always, do as you see fit.

Ned L

Commander

Nice work! ... Just a comment, ... I didn't see that you mentioned checking or replacing the water pump impeller. You might want to do that if you haven't already.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Okay, looks like you're coming along really nicely now. And I see you also have new decals to install as well. Post further results for everybody to see. Be forwarded though, this can be habit forming. Once you refurbish anything, you'll most likely want to do another one too... :thumb:

kfa4303

Banned

Lookin' good. Feel free to do mine next :) Although, I kind of like the raw, unfinished aluminum, Mad Max, Rat Rod look too. Watch out, you're gonna get lots of thumbs up and conversations at the dock this season once she's all finished.

Drowned Rat

Captain

And this baby is next!! 1956 Blue Star Islander. I'm going to start another thread for this one because I'm going to needs LOTS of your expert advice!