New ski locker hatch - wood

JerseyBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm making a new ski locker lid/hatch for my Maxum.

Currently the interior is carpeted, but next winter I'm thinking to remove all the carpet and check the deck (probably replace, lets face it), then gel coat it instead.

For the ski locker what I would like to try is a piece of either exterior or marine ply, then add a couple of layers of varnish, and then maybe some clear anti-slip. Will that give the wood enough protection and allow it to be functional given it is part of the boat that gets walked up and down on the most?

I would almost like it to look like this when it's completed 92ExcelHatch.jpg (from 92 Excel, no idea how to link to his picture but the thread is http://forums.iboats.com/completed-boat-projects/1992-wellcraft-excel-318939-2.html)

Thanks

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: New ski locker hatch - wood

I'm making a new ski locker lid/hatch for my Maxum.

Currently the interior is carpeted, but next winter I'm thinking to remove all the carpet and check the deck (probably replace, lets face it), then gel coat it instead.

For the ski locker what I would like to try is a piece of either exterior or marine ply, then add a couple of layers of varnish, and then maybe some clear anti-slip. Will that give the wood enough protection and allow it to be functional given it is part of the boat that gets walked up and down on the most?

I would almost like it to look like this when it's completed View attachment 224072 (from 92 Excel, no idea how to link to his picture but the thread is http://forums.iboats.com/completed-boat-projects/1992-wellcraft-excel-318939-2.html)

Thanks

Ayuh,.... I doubt it'll hold up, at all,....

Cover it with resin, 'n a lightweight glass,...

It'll still be clear lookin',...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Epoxy resin, 6 ounce cloth it will be clear and last for decades

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah Poly would probably be better and just some 3/4 oz CSM veiling to keep it clear. Good catch

JerseyBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Perfect, I'm all set to go this weekend, decided to get the marine plywood too as they stock the right size.