Seating support for a big guy

firechildc

Seaman Apprentice
Last time we took out my 1996 Four winns Horizon, had my 375 pound buddy with me. The captain chair and passenger seat are pedestal bucket seats. When we anchored, he went to climb out of the seat and pushed on the back of the chair for support…. ripping the screws out of the deck and knocking the seat over.

I've got the know-how to fill the stripped holes in the deck and drill new holes for the seat, but my question is this… does anyone know of any way to reinforce the base of that pedestal for the almost 400 pounds it will support? Anything I can do to strengthen things? I'd even consider a different type of seat if it would be better for my buddy. I'd rather sell the boat than tell my oldest friend he can't ride.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Seating support for a big guy

Last time we took out my 1996 Four winns Horizon, had my 375 pound buddy with me. The captain chair and passenger seat are pedestal bucket seats. When we anchored, he went to climb out of the seat and pushed on the back of the chair for support…. ripping the screws out of the deck and knocking the seat over.

I've got the know-how to fill the stripped holes in the deck and drill new holes for the seat, but my question is this… does anyone know of any way to reinforce the base of that pedestal for the almost 400 pounds it will support? Anything I can do to strengthen things? I'd even consider a different type of seat if it would be better for my buddy. I'd rather sell the boat than tell my oldest friend he can't ride.

Ayuh,.... Build yerself a Box seat base, insteada a Pedestal base,...

'n mount some grab bars that you can teach yer Bud to use,....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the deck might be having some issues. Have you inspected it for any other soft spots? Boats begin to have issues from the "Bottom Up" and if the Deck is having issues you may be having more serious issues below. Having said that a good reliable method for beefing up pedastal seats is to Glass a base to the deck using T-Nuts and bolts to hold the pedestal. This iBoater did a good job on his starting @ Post #63...http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...a-ray-seville-re-re-restoration-603346-3.html

firechildc

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like the deck might be having some issues. Have you inspected it for any other soft spots? Boats begin to have issues from the "Bottom Up" and if the Deck is having issues you may be having more serious issues below. Having said that a good reliable method for beefing up pedastal seats is to Glass a base to the deck using T-Nuts and bolts to hold the pedestal. This iBoater did a good job on his starting @ Post #63...http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...a-ray-seville-re-re-restoration-603346-3.html

When it first happened, that's EXACTLY the first thought that hit me…. soft deck, but I've checked it pretty thoroughly and if there is any rot taking place, it's at the very beginning stages. Replacing the deck will happen sooner or later, but man I'm really hoping to get at least one more season out of this one.

Off to check out your link right now! Thanks!

firechildc

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,.... Build yerself a Box seat base, insteada a Pedestal base,...

'n mount some grab bars that you can teach yer Bud to use,....

There actually is a grab bar on that side of the boat already, he just didn't use it (force of habit). After that seat came loose and the look on his face, I'm betting he doesn't forget those bars the next time! Poor guy. Man I felt bad for him.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This might also interest you. I built some "Pyramid" Bases for my seats that support my 300# Old Okie Behind quite well. You can see the process here...Pyramid Seat Bases. It continues on to Page's 28 and 29 as well.

Last edited:

firechildc

Seaman Apprentice

This might also interest you. I built some "Pyramid" Bases for my seats that support my 300# Old Okie Behind quite well. You can see the process here...Pyramid Seat Bases. It continues on to Page's 28 and 29 as well.

That's a very cool design. Me Likey. Well done, sir. Well done. I think when it comes time to completely gut and rebuild the interior, I'm going to go with something like you have here. It's not only functional, but pretty dang stylish! Planning that one for next winter….but I may start sooner. For the time being, that glassed block with T nuts sounds like the way to go for a quick fix.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, they worked out great. I've got an Excel Spreadsheet Tool that will calculate the angles for you to make the Pyramid cuts in the plywood. If you send me a PM with your Personal Email address I'll send you a copy. It makes makine the pyramid bases really easy.;) With out it, I failed miserably!!!:eek:

firechildc

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, they worked out great. I've got an Excel Spreadsheet Tool that will calculate the angles for you to make the Pyramid cuts in the plywood. If you send me a PM with your Personal Email address I'll send you a copy. It makes makine the pyramid bases really easy.;) With out it, I failed miserably!!!:eek:

That would be a tremendous help! PM coming your way! Thanks a bunch.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

That's a very cool design. Me Likey. Well done, sir. Well done. I think when it comes time to completely gut and rebuild the interior, I'm going to go with something like you have here. It's not only functional, but pretty dang stylish! Planning that one for next winter?.but I may start sooner. For the time being, that glassed block with T nuts sounds like the way to go for a quick fix.

This is what I did, too, with my pedestal seats, and I can guarantee you, the base into which you screw the pedestal will not be the weak point! Mine is very solid; I suspect the pedestal itself would bend, or the mounting brackets on the seat bottom would break, before the wooden base comes out. I'm not a small guy (220+ lbs.) and my pedestal is pretty tall (generating a lot of leverage against the glassed block), and the base doesn't flex a bit.

Just be sure to really protect the holes with the stainless steel T-nuts when you glass over. Even a little bit of resin dripping down those holes will ruin your day.

Finally, I sealed the holes with a waterproof, but removable, sealant (3M 4200) when I put in the machine screws that hold the pedestal base to the glassed block. Don't want water getting in there, either...

Good luck!