How to tell how bad transom rot is?

MSmith3615

Petty Officer 1st Class
How can I tell if my transom is rotted to the point where it is unsafe? I have an I/O, and I have very little flex when I push down on outdrive. I noticed the floor in the back of boat is soft. Also my right bottom bolt that bolts the outdrive on the boat has broken off. I now have a little water intrusion in bilge because of this. My question is can I just seal the outdrive with some 5200, and fix in winter. The water intrusion is very little if any at all, but I don't want to drop my outdrive in the middle of the lake. But I don't know how to tell how bad the rot is.

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to tell how bad transom rot is?

Knocking or tapping on the transom can kind of give you an idea of what is going on. Does the transom compress when you tighten the outdrive mounting bolts?<br /><br />From my own rebuild and pictures I have seen the rot is almost always worse than what can be seen by eye. Like my transom was 'squishie' when I pulled it out. Once it dried out, it was like dead tree leaves.

MSmith3615

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well try not to laugh at this one but when I knock or tap on transom what is it supposed to sound like. Also thats how I broke the bottom bolt, it broke into two pieces and it won't come out.

MSmith3615

Petty Officer 1st Class

When ever I tighten the mounting bolts a brownish looking liquid seems to seep out of bottom of outdrive where its mounted. Thats not good is it?

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Brown liquid is bad. It's rotten. That's "rot juice" squeezing out.

MSmith3615

Petty Officer 1st Class

So does that mean its unsafe, I know that sounds like a dumb question.

MSmith3615

Petty Officer 1st Class

One more thing can I drill a hole on the inside of transom to see how bad the rot it? Will this tell me anything? What about the 5200, I thougt I could maybe seal around the outdrive for a temp fix. Or is this just a waste of time. If its unsafe then I will replace transom, I thing my stingers are soft too, I just don't know how to tell. I've got a wife and three kids so safety comes first.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It sounds to me that you already know the answer to your question. :) You could try to find an expert to have a look at it though so that he can confirm your suspicions. You gotta take it apart!<br /><br />Besides how much fun are you going to have running around in a boat you're not sure about?

woody20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mmmm I love rot juice, I have it every morning with toast.

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

I'll tell you a story of my rotten transom. I bought my very first boat, and didn't know anything about boats. I knew the floor was rotten because the former owner had cut most of it out. Unknown to me, the transom was severly rotten. I fixed the floor and used the boat. It always took on some water, but the bilge pump could empty it and cycle on and off every half hour or so. I thought it was normal. I took it out on the Kentucky river and hit something. I destroyed my lower unit, but I also pulled the gimbal ring away from the hull. I fixed the lower unit but still didn't notice the leak around the gimbal ring. This did 2 things: it liberated a large amount of mulch like debris into the bilge and said debris clogged the bilge pump. After nearly sinking, I investigated and found the transom was nearly non existant. I fixed the transom in nearly 2 weeks of part time work. Then 2 weeks after that I got to pull the engine again and replace the coupler because I had run the boat with bad alignment due to the transom movement.

MSmith3615

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the advice, I just don't have anything to pull the motor out. I can get the out drive off, just don't know how to get engine out with out buying a lift. I'm also afraid once I get the engine out and check the stingers they are going to be wet too.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are numerous was to pull an engine, cherry picker, forklift, chain and pulley, wrecker, just to name a few.