1978 Livingston Pacific Skiff restore need help

rsteinberg83

Recruit
I want to restore the boat I am starting by removing all the rotting wood and wet foam and cleaning up the edges. I purchased some epoxy resin 105 and 206 and some 3/4 in marine grade plywood I am new to this so any input would help. Looking for info on foaming and installing flooring first.
Thanks
Rick

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 7
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 7
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

rsteinberg83

Recruit
Re: 1978 Livingston Pacific Skiff restore need help

I was wondering what pound foam I should use and how many cubic feet I will need. when I coat the plywood with resin should I use fabric or just epoxy

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

If you're talking about the Plywood deck then the underside would only require Epoxy resin to protect it. If you prefer to use Polyester resin then you would need to use Chopped Strand Mat with the resin. When attaching the plywood to the hull then you would need to use a minimum of an 8oz fabric with the Epoxy or something like 1708 biaxial fabric with the Polyester resin.

rsteinberg83

Recruit

Thanks for the information. For the flotation foam should i use 2# or 4# and do I pour the foam in or install the plywood first?

jbcurt00

Staff member

2lb pour in foam

you can pour 1st or plywood deck 1st. Each has pros/cons, most plywood deck 1st, cut holes in the deck to pour foam IN and 2nd (or even 3rd) holes in each 'chamber' to let air OUT. But it can be more difficult to maximize expansion rate of foam, and harder to be absolutely positive that each area is fully filled.

If you pour 1st, you have to over fill each area, trim off any foam that rises above the stringers & deck height (save the scraps & add them to another area before you foam, recycling the overpour), then lay the plywood deck. This cuts open the closed cell foam's hard exterior shell, possibly uses more foam (over filling each area) but usually helps ensure full expansion of the foam & that the compartment is fully filled w/ the max amount of foam.

go boat

Cadet

Will the new foam be vulnerable to soaking up water if the floors are not perfectly sealed from water intrusion? I am thinking about filling in the air chambers in the floors of my 12' Livingston, with floatation foam. I have never used the 2 part expanding foam before, not sure about it's characteristics. Any info would be of great help.

rsteinberg83 - what size is your Livingston? Pacific Skiff model... so it is NOT the twin hull, cat design? Hard to tell in the pics, but the bow rail looks as though it is a more standard, v-hull shape.

You came to the right place for good info and help on your project, I have learned so much from reading and following posts from many iboats members. Best of luck!