Under deck fiberglass

panamacitymustang

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm replacing my deck on my 24' cuddy cabin and just want to figure out if I should fiberglass under the deck also or should the epoxy be good enough. I'm using 1/2 inch plywood covered in epoxy and 1700 biaxial fiberglass.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Under deck fiberglass

Epoxy doesn't require glass to be sufficient for the back side of the deck.

Using epoxy topsides will mean you'll need to paint any exposed epoxy, it's generally not UV stable, and gelcoat doesn't adhere well to it.

Just for information, why epoxy rather then polyester resin?

panamacitymustang

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for the quick response. Would one layer be enogh for the top deck.

zool

Captain

1/2" may prove a bit thin without glass underneath, and only one layer of 17oz on top, you may get warping over larger clearspans..especially if there are hatches.

zool

Captain

If your original deck was 1/2", and unglassed underneath, and a thin layer of glass on top, then that would be the minimum rebuild guideline, imo. You can measure the core thickness, and the glass layers on any remaining deck and match that....I wouldnt put less that the MFG, as that very well can be the minimum needed.

Keep in mind that if the deck flexes, it exposes the epoxy coating underneath to condensation moisture, and eventual rotting.

panamacitymustang

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's a good point thanks. Better to be safe then sorry. I'll glass the bottom.