Really need advice on mahogany console

The Revenge

Seaman
Thanks in advance.
I'm restoring a whaler and have a brand new console.
The dashboard is 30" x 7" and 3/4" thick.

I'm ready to install the helm, which I hoped to upgrade this boat to the Bay Star system. I'm also using the Bay Star recess kit which pushes the helm deeper into the dashboard, shaving 3.75" off the helm from hanging out of the dashboard. This system also requires a 4 3/8" hole in the dash.

I'm being told the dashboard will not support a hydraulic helm by the time you add a steering wheel. I thought this dash board piece felt rather robust at 3/4".
I already have everything here to do the install. I'm a little trepid at the moment.

Would you so guys think? Console too thin? Go for it? What?
Thanks again
Here's the face of the console. The helm is supposed to go in the middle in this pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Really need advice on mahogany console

Install an aluminum plate (thin) across the dash (Inside) and possibly some supports on the ends...... Or ...... a few layers of fiberglass inside the console but I would opt for a piece of metal.

It is not the weight that is the enemy but the leverage from a wheel and the bouncing of the hull. For some dumb reason....people hang onto the wheel while under power ;)

The Revenge

Seaman

That's what I'll do. Any thoughts on using star-board for this or stick with aluminum?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Starboard flexes and would only act as a spacer. The aluminum will provide more support and you couls even make it stronger is you use pieces of angle aluminum to tie it in to the sides or top. Cuts easy too. Hmmmmm 30 inches see if a junk yard or your local highway department has a trashed street sign which are usually made from high grade aluminum.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Recycling centers often sell scrap aluminum reasonable too

The Revenge

Seaman

Yup no star-board.
I'm going to back it with an aluminum panel and also make some wood gussets.
Thanks