17ft Shoalwater Flat Bottom Restoration

Skiff_man

Cadet
I started this project a while back and I got busy with college and work. I have a long ways to go, in short amount of time. But with a lot of Faith and determination I will have it in the water by May. I inherited this boat from my grandfather who died from brain cancer in 2010, I grew up going out on this boat with him and it has a lot of sentimental value to me. I want to do everything right and not take any short cuts. This is my first restoration though so sorry, but I will probably have a lot of questions.

So, the boat is a 17ft 198? Shoalwater flat bottom skiff. The main deck was rotten so I cut all of the fiberglass out and removed the rotten wood and saturated foam. I ground all of the gel coat down to the fiberglass and i think that i have it ready to start putting it back together but correct me if I'm wrong. I have already cut out all of the wood to put back in, but I was wondering if I need to put the foam back in? And if I should tape the plywood with 1708 and then go over it with 1.5CSM or how I should go about it? I am planning on using polyester resin, is this a good idea?

These pictures are from when I had just gotten the foam out, I have since ground the tab on the side off and all of the gelcoat. I also tested the runners and the foam in those is dry.
photo 2.jpg

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 0

Skiff_man

Cadet
Re: 17ft Shoalwater Flat Bottom Restoration

I do not know why those pictures uploaded upside down, they are turned the right way on my comp. I tried to repost them but they are still upside down, does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Taylor

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I would put new foam in,........

It helps with the structural integrity of the boat,.....

AND,...........

It should keep the boat afloat if your ever swamped,.......

I hear drowning sucks,..................

Just my opinion,...........

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Get yourself a free Photobucket account and you can post nice big pics that will stay right side up!

Installing new foam will be your best build, it helps support the hull and deck and will keep your boat from sinking in case of an accident or emergency.

Skiff_man

Cadet

So I should tab the new deck in with 1708 and fasten it the the stringers with stainless steel screws and the foam it? Should I put a coat of resin on the backside of the deck or layer of 1.5csm?

Thanks,

Taylor

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

So, did you cut out all the Pyramid Stringers and replace them too?

Skiff_man

Cadet

I took core samples of the stringers and the the foam in there was dry so I decided to leave those. I did cut the top off the one to the left because that is the channel that the wires run from the center console to the rear.

Thanks,

Taylor

Skiff_man

Cadet
So this is an old forum that I created and when I started this project. But now that funds are readily available and the work schedule is some what consistent I AM going to tackle this project very soon, I have done all of the painful and pesty grinding along with cutting the deck to fit. I do have a few questions on materials. Should I tab with 1708 Biaxl and if so do I use 12" tape or what? My next question is what do I put on the deck? I planned on putting one layer of 1.5CSM on the bottom of the deck and then tabbing it from the top with 1708 and then putting 3 layers of 1.5CSM on top of that. Does this seem like a good plan?

Skiff_man

Cadet
Hello WOG I have done a lot of research and I plan on using Gel Coat for the final finish. Would woven roving give me a rough enough surface if I use it on the final top coat of glass so the deck is not as slick? Btw almost every forum that I have read you offer a lot of input on and I admire the knowledge that you have. Thank you for sharing all of your knowledge and taking the time to do so.

Last edited:

Willyclay

Captain
Welcome back! You had me hooked with "inherited this boat from my grandfather". I have a grandkid in mind for mine. Good luck!

Skiff_man

Cadet
Yeah this boat means a lot to me, I have a lot of memories of being out on it when I was a kid (not that I'm old now). But I am sure that your grandkid would love to have the boat that he grew up on fishing with his grandpa.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hello WOG I have done a lot of research and I plan on using Gel Coat for the final finish. Would woven roving give me a rough enough surface if I use it on the final top coat of glass so the deck is not as slick? Btw almost every forum that I have read you offer a lot of input on and I admire the knowledge that you have. Thank you for sharing all of your knowledge and taking the time to do so.

Yeah, that's one method of obtaining a sort of textured deck. If you use a roller to roll on the gel coat the weave of the cloth will bleed thru and show the checkered pattern and give a bit of a grip.

Skiff_man

Cadet
Well I ordered a lot of stuff today and I plan on doing this project on Saturday! I ordered 10 gallons of Polyester Resin, 50 yds of 1.5 CSM, 25 yds of 1708 biaxl 6" tape, a lot of foam, cabosil for PB, 2 gallons of Gel Coat and a ton of mixing containers, brushes, rollers etc. Hopefully all of the supplies arrive on time because they are supposed to be here Friday. If all of my research is correct the best method is to do everything is wet on wet. But my question is will the 1708 biaxl tabbing hold down the plywood if its only tacky while I foam the boat? I plan on jacking up the bow of the boat and drilling holes every 18" then pouring the foam in the very back one and let it run to the back and when it starts coming out of the first hole, I will put something over it so it will expand forwards, then move on to the next one and repeat until I get to the last one and I will leave that hole open until the foam finishes expanding. So in my not so intelligent boat building mind I think that the holes will keep the plywood from lifting and not put a lot of pressure on the tabbing, therefore allowing me to do everything wet on wet. But what do you guys think?

I also plan on taking a lot of pictures and video so that I can give back to the forum. Everyone here has helped me a ton and I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Sooo What all are you planning on doing on Saturday??? What's your schedule?? 50 yds of CSM??? 25 yds of 1708 tape and only 10 gallons of resin?? It takes 1 gallon of resin to wet out 4yds of mat not counting precoating the wood and making PB. You're gunna need a LOT more resin. The Foam will not Flow like you think it will. Once it starts to expand it does so VERY quickly. I MIGHT flow a foot or so and that's about it. You need to do your calculations on cubic ft and mix the appropriate amount so you'll know how much to pour into the holes.;) I'd also recommend that the deck be tabbed and cured pretty well before you pour the foam. The pressure can be pretty forceful.

Last edited:

Skiff_man

Cadet
I already have the deck cut out and one layer of CSM on the back of itand by cut out I mean the new plywood not the old one removed. I am planning on gluing the deck down and tabbing it in friday and then foaming saturday morning. After I finish foaming I plan on glassing the top of the deck after I plug the holes that I made for the foam. Do you think this is too much too do in one day? And when you say that it takes 1 gallon of resin to wet out 4yds of mat is that 4 square yards? And I have already calculated how much foam I need in each compartment, but should I put the holes closer together?

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Do you have Cabosil for making your PB filler to form the fillet around the edge of the deck? Yes 4sq yds. But if All you are doing is the bottom and top side of the deck then I seriously doubt you'll use anywhere close to 50 yds of CSM. If you install the deck on Friday Night and get the PB filleting done, you should be able to tab it in and do the foam pour and then glass the deck in a LONG Saturday worth of work. Glad this Old Dumb Okie won't be working that Long and Hard. I'm To OLD for that kind of a Day any more!!!!!:D:eek:

Skiff_man

Cadet
Well it's 17' boat and 8ft beam and I'm also doing the front casting deck so it came out to about 39yds but a roll of 50yds was just a couple more dollars. Yes I do have Cabosil ordered for making PB. Should I PB the deck to the stringers or attach it with stainless steel screws? But I am planning on doing it all in one extremely long and tiring Saturday so it will all be wet on wet. After that should I go ahead and gel coat wet on wet or wait for the deck to set up?