Cast Aluminum Handles-Transom Crestliner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeler

Cadet
I have a '56 crestliner I'm restoring and would like to find a source for transom handles.
They measure 7 1/8" long and the centers on the mounting holes are 6 1/4".
They are cast Aluminum. Attached is a photo.

Thanks
Jeff in Iowa

Attachments

• Crestliner Handle.jpg
    Crestliner Handle.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 0

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Cast Aluminum Handles-Transom Crestliner

Some of the Ace Hardware stores carry lines of brass, stainless, aluminum hardware, handles, knobs, etc.....maybe check with them?...

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I have a '56 crestliner I'm restoring and would like to find a source for transom handles.
They measure 7 1/8" long and the centers on the mounting holes are 6 1/4".
They are cast Aluminum. Attached is a photo.

Thanks
Jeff in Iowa

The picture of the handle you're looking for doesn't seriously look that bad. A little cleaning and some buffing and it would most certainly look new... I don't have any suggestion as to where to find something like that other then some boat salvage yard(s). They do exist and the one around here has tons of old boats and such. Maybe look for one near your area. But even then you will probably have to refurbish those handles as well... my 2 cents.

Jeler

Cadet

I agree, the handle in the photo is in great shape. The problem is I need 2 of them and currently have just 1.
Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

Some of the Ace Hardware stores carry lines of brass, stainless, aluminum hardware, handles, knobs, etc.....maybe check with them?...

Ayuh,.... Agreed,... Handles like that are available all over, in many metals,....

Handles, Exactly like that, probably ain't available, Anywhere,...

robert graham

Admiral

Yep, think/check Furniture Hardware suppliers.....they should have something for you....in fact, the one handle you have looks like it came off a chest of drawers, a desk or similar....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

About as close as you're gunna get... $2.75
Round Grip Boar Handle (Each)

102handle_base_1.jpg

Jeler

Cadet

The picture of the handle you're looking for doesn't seriously look that bad. A little cleaning and some buffing and it would most certainly look new... I don't have any suggestion as to where to find something like that other then some boat salvage yard(s). They do exist and the one around here has tons of old boats and such. Maybe look for one near your area. But even then you will probably have to refurbish those handles as well... my 2 cents.

Thanks, I think thats my best option, finding a used one. Esp. since I'm trying to restore it to original.

jbcurt00

Staff member

2 more options:
ebay, similar, not vintage, & NOT original:
$%28KGrHqR,%21j%21E3SHmdp7hBN+SRBBTI%21%7E%7E_12.JPG

Email a pix to Dennis, he'll give you a ballpark price. If you work out a price, send him the 1 you have, and he'll cast a 'new' replica. The process doesn't hurt the original, but there is 2-3% shrinkage of the newly cast pieces vs the original, so order 2. He'll send the original back to you w/ the new ones:
Dennis Nyland
Creative Casting Company
253-475-2643
3762 S. 60th St.
Tacoma, WA 98409
www.creativecastingco.com

Vintage Glastron cleats I'm trying to find would be @ $25per + shipping cast in bronze. Then I'd have to have them chromed. He may or may not work in aluminum, you'll have to ask. It didn't take 24hrs for him to reply to my email & pix w/ my questions. Nice fella.............

Troll evil bay, you may get lucky & see a set. They are probably NOT Crestliner only handles. There's probably a maker's mark on it somewhere. FiberGlassics classifieds often have cleats & handles FOR sale, but you can also post a free WANTED ad.

The RetroCrestliner site doesn't get a lot of traffic, and I don't think there's any handles for sale, but you could check there too.

Post some pix of the boat you're working on. We love vintage boat pix.

Jeler

Cadet

JbCurt, Thanks for the great info!
I'm registered with retrocrestliner too.
Photos are online there, just look for the 16' decked Admiral.
Jeff

jbcurt00

Staff member

I couldn't find a 16ft decked Admiral.... Hope you find a set or another, or Dennis takes care of making some new ones for you..

jbcurt00

Staff member

Bummer about the gunwale endcap getting drilled for a stern light. :grumpy:

It looks like a nice 16ft open boat.

The Aerocraft is nice too :)

Best of luck w/ the transom handles

Jeler

Cadet

jb, yes the hole in the end cap is a bummer. Instead of repairing it I'll just fill it in with a new stern light for now.
Thanks for all of your help. I've sent an email off to creative castings.
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.