New to Forums -> New to boating -> Old hat at restoration, just not boats:)

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: New to Forums -> New to boating -> Old hat at restoration, just not boats:)

Wish Granted: (I bet you wished you asked for a million bucks now... don't you?)

Thats the good stuff SS Wedgie!! :lol: Tagging along!! Hopefully that's not a white russian in that jar.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Gunna tag along also if ya got room !
Nice work on the pen ! ;)

Small Saddle Wedgie

Seaman Apprentice

ok, so moving right along...
I have been thinking about a cradle for my boat.
This is what i've come up with so far, all from untreated lumber, as it will be in my garage.

Is this not 'beefy' enough.
Is this too much, too little, is it overkill?
What's your opinions?

(I just downloaded this program Saturday, so it's not 'perfect'....)

Small Saddle Wedgie

Seaman Apprentice

I will be increasing the outer supports on the back rails from 1 to 3

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Pen looks amazing! Beautiful craftsmanship!
The cradle design looks really good, my only idea or suggestion would be to add some locking casters to it so you can roll it around...
also, when you have the hull on it, just add any extra supports as needed to provide a solid, flex free platform.

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

subscribing,
Actually saved up the money myself for the fiberglass supplies and wood needed for my project. Should be starting back in a couple weeks. Hope you are looking forward to all the grinding :) it's the best part. jk.

jbcurt00

Staff member

As you work on the hull, dismantle & remove the cap, do some demo of deck, stringers & transom, AND climb in & out of the boat the cradle may shift a bit so:

I'd add another set of the peaks supporting the bow & have the bow runners connect the 2 sets, if you angle them slightly inward towards each other, they will self brace. This may also allow you to have the 2X more closely follow the angle of the hull. If you leave them vertical, add a diagonal crossbrace to keep them fixed in the position you set them.

Same for the rear supports, add a crossbrace.

FYI: This cradle also looks like it's going to be raising the hull fairly high above the ground. Any chance you could reduce the hulls elevation above the the ground?

I'm not sure which thread it was in, but I think someone built a similar cradle, got the 2X support runners close to the correct angle of the hull, but not quite in contact w/ it, then used great stuff foam to 'fix' the runner's angle to the boat. Protecting the hull w/ plastic or waxpaper. Particularly helpful at the bow or if any of your supports fall on a chine........

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Sorry guys, I had to take a break and make some valentines day gifts:
This is the one I just made for my wife (who is a pianist)

2014-02-15%2000.07.38_zps4fhj3cvf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2014-02-15%2000.06.23_zpspem5gyed.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2014-02-15%2000.05.25_zpsfffoivzx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice penmanship...:lol:

I too make pen and pencil sets and even have a LASER etching machine to etch people's names and such on the pens/pencils and custom boxes too. My most exotic pen/pencil set was made out of rattle-snake skin. Very expensive material and equally very hard to turn too. One little twitch of the turning and it is literally all over the shop. Very touchy material to work with.

I am watching your boating progress also and now that the weather has changed here in Georgia, I'm back at the trailer finishing.

Small Saddle Wedgie

Seaman Apprentice

FYI: This cradle also looks like it's going to be raising the hull fairly high above the ground. Any chance you could reduce the hulls elevation above the the ground?

then used great stuff foam to 'fix' the runner's angle to the boat. Protecting the hull w/ plastic or waxpaper.

I have casters for it already in the shop, I just didnt know how to make them in this sketchup program.
It does look a little on the high side.. but all said and done the bottom of the boat should be 5-6 inches lower than it sits on the trailer.
I am wanting to pull it into the shop, and it's only an 8' ceiling.

I was wondering about using great stuff... glad I have a second on that :)

My plans are to actually build the front rails up to the boat first before attaching it to the 'base' of the cradle.
That way, I could be assured of angles and fit before moving the boat.

This should be fun ;P

I'm building on the engine stand today, hopefully have it done by tomorrow and I can start figuring out how to get that motor onto the stand....

my wife asked me why I couldn't just pick it up off there.... she thinks way to highly of me ;)

Small Saddle Wedgie

Seaman Apprentice
Wow, so what a year it's been.
My 'hurting arm' went through two unsuccessful surgeries...then I switched doctors.
Turns out, I broke my neck and imploded two discs!! It got so bad before my surgery that I couldn't pour a cup of coffee, much less work on a boat.

I had my surgery January 5th of this year, and though it was 'successful', they did a lot of nerve stretching and pushing, inserted a titanium plate and screws, and took some bone from my hip, and rebuilt some bone in my neck... so yeah, I'm still screwed up.

I'm not going to be able to do this project in the foreseeable future, and my wife says it's time for the boat to go.

After all you'alls wonderful advice and absolutly fantastic follow up, I kinda feel like I'm letting ya'll down by not doing this lol.

This is by far not the end of my boating adventures, as my wife expressed she wants to buy a 'functional' boat *Evil Grin* ...

So, I've put it up for sale, for just what I paid for it ($350.00) ....

Kinda sad to see it go :(

Small Saddle Wedgie

Seaman Apprentice
EDIT:Sorry to hear about your health issues, but no postings for your own boat iboats forum. If you'd like to post an ad in the iboats boats for sale section, its at the top right of your browser window. Post an ad there, and you can list it here too. Otherwise, no ads. Thanks Iboats mod team

Last edited by a moderator:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
SSW, sorry to hear about your health issues. I had that surgery back in 1991. Fortunately mine was very successful and I've been able to carry on with my life. I hope you will soon be able to do the same. I hope Craigslist will turn up a boat that meets you and your wife's budget and needs and both of you will be on the water in due time!!!

Best of Luck

:clap2:

Mark72233

Ensign
Small, I just found your post and read through the whole thing. I hate that it ended like this. As far as letting anyone down after reading everyone's posts I doubt you let anyone down, I would think the exact opposite. I am sure you have inspired a bunch of folks to get off their tired but otherwise healthy behinds and get back out there and work on their boats and be thankful for their good health. Good luck to you and your family. Cant wait to see your son sitting behind the wheel of a boat for real sliding across the water having a blast with his dad. When you get that video be sure and post it. Your thread lives here forever and can be opened back up by you at anytime. Those of us that subscribed to your post will receive a notice that a new post has been made. Take care and again good luck.

Small Saddle Wedgie

Seaman Apprentice
Woodonglass thank you for the hope, I could use it:)
My surgery wound up being a little more than it was supposed to as they discovered spurs growing into my spinal column.
I have recovered quite a bit, but my range of motion is still off. (I already had natural fusion of c2/3 and they fused my c5/6-c6/7.
While they where in there, they 'desheathed' my left radial nerve.... yay. It'll get better, just slow :)

Mark, thank you for your words, they actually mean a lot, thank you.

I have learned so much from reading in these forums and from the advice here. My next boat will be a remodel, not a complete rebuild.
When I get back to work (It's been 2 1/2 years now) we'll start our boat hunt. The knowledge that I picked up here will be invaluable, and I will most likely post some prospects (on a new thread) to get some purchase advice.

The good news, is that a gentleman stopped by today to look at the boat, he doesnt want to part it out, he wants to do a complete rebuild. I'm excited that it's not just going to go into a scrap heap. He's promised pictures! And I'll post them here.

For now, it's just a reprieve, not an adieu, and as soon as I'm able I'll be back!
Thanks again to all for their kind words and awesome advice!