mfg sun n fun seats

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: mfg sun n fun seats

What I was thinking bout with bottom pic is having them under the seat and seat back and useing a latch that's connected to bottom and then hooks onto bolt on seat back when its up then just detache latch to fold them down. I'd draw a diagram but can't from phone although could draw one on paper and take a picture. Also found a place that has them for $40 a pair

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is what I was thinking and I'm no artist and couldn't find a pen

Attachments

• 20140209_113030.jpg
    20140209_113030.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20140209_113006.jpg
    20140209_113006.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I think these will...but you'd have to fabricate them yourself out of 1/4" or 3/8" angle. Ebay has it for $30 bucks for a 5 ft section.
s
SeatHinge.jpg

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Those are really nicely fab'd hinges ^^^

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Yep , those are nice Woody ! Looks like the bottom piece would be made from angle but the side piece would be flat stock . Would have to make sure you fabbed the right support on the sides of the seat backs for fastening .
Stretch , Your drawing would work fine but it would leave a big open space between the seat back and bottom when laid flat . If that does not matter to ya then that design would be easy to make .

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You could easily modify the above design so the top portion would be angle as well. ;)

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also like those hinges but what's the locking mecanism

jbcurt00

Staff member

That clevis pin. Spring loaded ball bearing keeps it from pulling out (the black round knob) and when you press the silver button it retracts the ball bearing so you can pull the pin out, adjust the seat angle & re-insert the pin in 1 of those 4 holes. Having a choice of 2 on the outer bracket, gives you even more choices of set back angle..............

inktup

Recruit

Hey Guys,

I am new to the site so sorry about the late post but, I do have the original seat bases and hinges for these seats and I'm planning on recreating them the best I can. The problem is that a few of the hinges I do have, the metal has actually separated but I do have a few good ones(not for sale, sorry) that I am going to try and copy most likely out of stainless not aluminum like original. For the seat bases I actually am going to make templates for them because I figured other people could probably use them. I'm just getting started on them but I will keep update if you would like. It's pretty funny though because I have taken the rotting fabric off and found that they used lawn chair webbing in a basket weave design over a piece of plywood with a hole cut into it. I will have take some pics. Seems pretty primitive but I guess it worked.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

^^^Like to see your seat build . Maybe start a thread here or over on the MFG forum ! :cool: ^^^

inktup

Recruit

I think I just might. Hey, sphelps, you restored the 64 edinboro right? I am restoring a 63 edinboro. Could you kindly give me any tips on the resto because I do think I am separating the deck and hull and I would love some insider info on the spit and what is used to combine the two again.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I will send you a pm this evening inktup . Don't want to hijack stretch's thread too much . ;)

Decker83

Commander

s[IMG said:
http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af303/WoodOnGlass/SeatHinge.jpg[/IMG]

Looks to me that both piece's or made from flat plate. By looking at the pic it would take at least a 6" angle.. That would make for a lot of waste..

The back of the seat must have a angle bolted to the wood on the inside.. The bottom also has a bolt going into the side like it has a angle bolted to the bottom wood on the inside.

With some 3/8" plate of hard aluminum and a jig saw and drill you could fab these up fairly easily..

Just a thought..:D