mfg sun n fun seats

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1962 mfg niagara and would like to build a set of sun n fun seats are there any plans out for them or can someone draw up some or pics of them as I don't have any seats in mine

DavidD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: mfg sun n fun seats

Are you speaking of the back to back seats that fold out flat?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hey stretch, this was my attempt at what your trying to accomplish .
A little taller than the originals but I had no measurements to go by . I just installed the U brackets that I made from some cypress I had laying around to support the seat backs in the lounge position .. I made the hinges but I plan on having some made out of some thicker aluminum ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Here is another pic .
DSC00962.jpg

Last edited:

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the pics, giving me some ideas for mine is there any place that could buy hinges from and the seat back brackets out of aluminium

jbcurt00

Staff member

You will probably need to find a forgotten & forlorn MFG to salvage seats out of to get a set of factory hinges/seat brackets. Or find someone w/ an MFG they plan to gut & convert into a fishing rig or at least redesign the seating & layout, so they no longer need the fun & sun set they have.

You can check some salvage places:
Salvage Yards, by Wilde1

Might get lucky.

Good luck w/ your project & post up some pix. We love boat pix. They can't be too 'raw' or ugly, so no worries if it's still got flora & fauna growing in it either..........

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's a couple of hinges I found they should work for what I need but I can't find either online

Attachments

• boat-seat-hinges-35805-5132757.jpeg
    boat-seat-hinges-35805-5132757.jpeg
    4.4 KB · Views: 0
  • boat-seat-hinges-23300-3232411.jpg
    boat-seat-hinges-23300-3232411.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 0

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I like that design , Looks like it can lay flat for lounge position . I think around 65 or so they went with a ratchet style hinge . Like a folding beach lounge chair . I would give my right arm for a set of those .. :watermelon:

Hey , when are you gunna update your resto thread ! Would love to see where your at with it ..

Last edited:

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Haven't done anymore to it since last year there I'm gonna finish it and paint/ re wire trailer that is as soon as snow melts

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The hinges lock at 0, 90 and 180 but I can't find prices for them. I just searched 180? boat seat hinges on google and these popped up in images

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sphelps how diffucult was it to make the hinges. Is it possible to do with a dremel and angle grinder.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

It took a while with an angle grinder with a metal cut off wheel to get the shape close . I then used a combination of my bench grinder belt sander , files, and sandpaper to smooth everything up . I think had I used a thicker stock aluminum it would have worked perfect . I came up with the shape by looking at pics online at the originals . Then used the ol "by guess and by golly" method to make them work . When I get a little spare coin I may take one off and have a fab shop make me some that would look more professional . I had to reinforce the raised pivot point with some thick flat stock . They are a bit crude but fully functional . Maybe one or two notches above redneck engineered .. :facepalm::D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

The thing is, if you want the seat backs and bottoms to be tight together in the lounge position the pivot point must be in the right spot . Otherwise you will end up with a big gap in between the to halves . That is the reason that the hinge point in the first set of hinges you posted are sloped or raised up higher . If you make your seats with a good tapered edge then maybe you could use a standard type hinge .
Does that make any sense ?

jbcurt00

Staff member

I think these are back to back seat hinges:
$_3.JPG

And they wouldn't work right for your application.

These are for a flip up bucket:
$%28KGrHqZHJE%21E88YlJ,%21vBPbM%28qUOJQ%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Not sure I understand how that'd work, flipping the seat bottom up? Or maybe they would work for fold down sun n fun seats, but yep $200-250 in hinges either way...