1990 Steiger Craft transom investigation

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah lake Erie can kick up on you Thats why I'm looking for a little bigger boat.I'm sure you and the Mrs had fun though

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
We sure did.

GARBOARD DRAIN RANT:
Once upon a time there was a certain boat with a garboard drain. It was shoved tightly into a drain sleeve which was presumably made under the Dewey Decimal System in the United States of America in 1990. The garboard drain was media blasted and held up to a brand new 1" brass sleeve straight out of the package. No way under any circumstance would the stock Garboard drain fit into the 1" mainstream "popular brand name among boating accessories" sleeve. Pressing, pounding, etc., was out of the question because the sleeve was the same size (if not smaller) as the garboard insert.

Surely, it takes the only other brass sleeve known to the world of boating...the 1 1/4". Installed the 1 1/4" sleeve with PB in a slightly bigger hole...oops. The garboard drain is too small. Oh and garboard drains for 1 1/4" sleeves don't exist. After 2 hours an "ATTWOOD searay 2 1/8 flange oversized garboard" with a smaller plug yet, is found and ordered. Epic fail. Chinese junk. Amateur boat wright. I'm gonna have to get a custom garboard made at a machine shop:facepalm:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
We sure did.

GARBOARD DRAIN RANT:
Once upon a time there was a certain boat with a garboard drain. It was shoved tightly into a drain sleeve which was presumably made under the Dewey Decimal System in the United States of America in 1990. The garboard drain was media blasted and held up to a brand new 1" brass sleeve straight out of the package. No way under any circumstance would the stock Garboard drain fit into the 1" mainstream "popular brand name among boating accessories" sleeve. Pressing, pounding, etc., was out of the question because the sleeve was the same size (if not smaller) as the garboard insert.

Surely, it takes the only other brass sleeve known to the world of boating...the 1 1/4". Installed the 1 1/4" sleeve with PB in a slightly bigger hole...oops. The garboard drain is too small. Oh and garboard drains for 1 1/4" sleeves don't exist. After 2 hours an "ATTWOOD searay 2 1/8 flange oversized garboard" with a smaller plug yet, is found and ordered. Epic fail. Chinese junk. Amateur boat wright. I'm gonna have to get a custom garboard made at a machine shop:facepalm:

I think most folks from Oh-Hi-Ya use one of these anyway eh?!

:laugh::lol::laugh:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
OR...You could use a chisel and Drive the Sleeve completely out of the transom, Glue a wood dowel into the hole and then redrill an oversized hole, Use PVC for a tube and install it using "Hairy PB" then fit the Garboard Drain and install it.

jc55

That's a great idea Wood. Next time, I think I will just use PVC and put a little more thought and prefitting. This new, larger garboard is on the way. If it doesn't work out, My dad said he'll make one on his lathe.

Tank from Carr Enterprises came in. What a tank!
IMG_2344.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, looks like somebody knows how to build a below deck fuel tank!!!

jc55

It's quite a bit better than what came out, that's for sure, Wood.

Trial fit of the pilot house deck. Had to cut about an 1/8" off the bottom of the pilot house back and she slid right in. Adding a hatch too. This section should keep me busy for a while.
IMG_2345.jpg

I'm really leaning towards just resin coating the bottom but wrapping the edges and covering the top with 1708. My '68 Sport Craft was resin coated under it's deck and it was extremely solid. I'm still working off that roll from the last boat resto.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
I'm really leaning towards just resin coating the bottom

You know better than that!

... but no matter what you do, it'll still be a better job than what was down on the deck before you started and last a long time if you glass the top of the deck in properly.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm, Poly resin without mat is pretty much worthless!!! You'd be better off using the Old Timers Recipe and Oil based paint than resin with no mat!!!!:eek::D

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Yeah, and we all know how adhesives bond to and resins penetrate an oily surface or substrate... not too well.

One layer of 3/4 oz. csm will keep that poly resin from cracking and flaking off and shouldn't add that much thickness to the bottom side of the decking for a better build.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm, no need for resins to penetrate if you use the Old Timers Recipe. If you read and understood the Old Timers Recipe you'd discover it's finished off with 2 layers of Polyurethane and the last time I checked Polyester resin will adhere just fine to a polyurethane surface!!! They're in the same family!!!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
... and when the polyurethane peels off of the boiled linseed oil saturated wood, the polyester resin and cloth is going to come up with it.... not my idea of a seaworthy build.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Experience is a great teacher and mine tells me it works very well. I won't waste any more of JC's thread on the subject he's already stated he's ordering mat.

Last edited:

jc55

Nothing new to report. It's been too cold to glass and with work and rentals, I've been too busy. It appears as if I had soft decks near the "poop deck"...
IMG_20140918_184216_748.jpg

Luckily, I had some marine plywood from my transom notch that fit perfectly...
IMG_20140919_185224_557.jpg

zool

Captain
That looks good, may be a little to report, but its progress, and another area that wont need attention...A solid commode cant be a bad thing :D

jc55

Back at it again. Built my hillbilly heat bubble. Oh yeah baby...
IMG_20141004_125450_183.jpg

IMG_20141004_143935_202.jpg

Got my pilot house deck CSM'ed underneath and 1708 on top...
IMG_20141004_143523_770.jpg

IMG_20141004_143407_117.jpg

zool

Captain
Hillbilly? nah, youre inside, that's just making it work, hillbilly is when you build it outside, where passerbys can see :D

besides, as long as the glass comes out good like yours, it don't matter how u do it! Looks good...

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey Jc,

Looks great! Boy I wish I had a hopper like that on my boat and I'm a plumber.

jc55

Hopper, do you mean the toilet, kcassels? No that's a rental property toilet. I had the perfect piece of marine plywood from my transom notch to repair the floor in that old house!

Thanks Zool, looks like we're all scrambling to get some heat.