1997 Larson 206 SEI mild rebuild

christoner2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, my time has come. Bought the boat in 2010, and she has been a ton of fun. The interior was starting to have a few problems when I bought it, and it is time to do a complete interior. Will be having all the seats, and sundeck reupholstered, adding new carpet, most likely painting the outside stripe, new pinstripe, new aluminum wheels for the trailer, and new rub rail all the way around. Here are some of the before pics. Of course the outside pics were from last summer. We have about 18' of snow covering that grass right now.

Attachments

• larsonside3.jpg
    larsonside3.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 0
  • larsonside2.jpg
    larsonside2.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 0
  • larsonside.jpg
    larsonside.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 0
  • larsoninterior4.jpg
    larsoninterior4.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0

christoner2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1997 Larson 206 SEI mild rebuild

More pics. For the most part, the gold vinyl is cracking. Will be switching to a lighter tan color instead of gold.

Attachments

• larsoninterior6.jpg
    larsoninterior6.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 0
  • larsoninterior1.jpg
    larsoninterior1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 0
  • larsoninterior2.jpg
    larsoninterior2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 0
  • larsoninterior3.jpg
    larsoninterior3.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
  • larsoninterior5.jpg
    larsoninterior5.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 0

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's interesting. I have the exact same boat. Mines green where yours is blue. Your exterior is in much better condition than mine and your interior is in much worse condition than mine. I will certainly be anxious to see how your project turns out. I'd also be curious what it costs if you get the upholstery professionally done. I'm considering getting mine redone soon. The plywood under the sun pad is saturated and rotting and I found some soft floor where the driver's feet rest.
I need to replace the rub rail also. Are you going to put plastic back in or go for stainless or something?

christoner2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most likely, I am going back to the same rail it has, made by Taco mfg. Was thinking about the stainless stuff as well. The Upholstery is being done by a professional, that has a shop about 5 miles from where I work. I have seen his work, and he is very good. Barring any unforeseen, he quoted me $1500 to do it. So far, all the wood bases of the seats and pads feel good, but will know more once they have been stripped of their material. Would love to see some pics of your boat KD4UPL. Always enjoy seeing others like mine.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Looks a lot my boat, too. I think that the gold vinyl, which is in bad shape on my boat, too, was really silver when it was new. We had the sun pad and rear bench seat partly reupholstered... Only the gold part was replaced. It was pretty inexpensive.

Must be something about that metallic fabric that doesn't hold up.

Good luck on your work. I'll tag along to see how it goes.

Jim

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Interesting that the gold went bad the worst...... I wonder if it lacked UV protection?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Hard to say, but looking at those pictures, it could be my boat... the blue sections and white sections are in pretty good shape (for a 16 year old boat), but the just about every bit of metallic fabric on the bench seats and the bow cushions is cracked. As seems to be the case in the OP's pics, the cockpit seating is in pretty good shape. Weird.

This is what my sunpad looked like after they replaced the cracked 'gold' vinyl with a non-metallic grey:

sunpad.jpg

I'm very interested to see how yours looks after the upholstery is done. $1500 seems very reasonable to me.

christoner2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought so as well, $1500 seemed very reasonable. Hopefully my stuff comes out as good as the work I have seen him do for others.
On the pin striping on your boat JAS, is it a blue/silver/white combo? Mine has a green/gold/white combo. I agree it is odd that the gold went first. But talking to some people, they have told me the sun really tears up metallic colors. That's mostly why I am switching to a non metallic tan on it. Seats will be going in on Monday. Not sure how long he will have them yet.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Yes, my pinstriping and decal colors are the blue/silver/white. (I wish they were the green/gold/white combo. I need a new "Larson" decal for the side of the boat near the sunpad, and I can only find the green/gold/white one, not the blue/silver/white variety.)

Would you be able to post before/after pics of your upholstery work? I might consider using your upholstery person if they do nice work and are really that inexpensive. I'm only about 3 hours from your neck of the woods and good upholstery shops that are accustomed to dealing with boats are few and far between....

Thanks!
Jim

christoner2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can definitely post pics once he is done with it Jim. And can get you his name and number if you like how it looks. I was pretty blown away at the price as well. I was quoted 800 by another shop just to redo the sun pad. If you can also, let me know where you found the Larson side emblems in green. I would like to replace mine as well

Last edited:

christoner2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Seats and sundeck went in today. He said most likely he will have them about 3 weeks. Has anyone ever used Lancer Marine Carpet? Menards can special order it, in 6ft, 8ft, and 12ft widths. I am thinking of changing from the Dark Teal, to a tan, so I ordered some samples from them. If the Dark Teal is close, I may just go back to that also. I love the textured decks like Jim's boat, and Friscoboaters, but I would end up wanting snap in carpet along with that. So, for now, I am just going to install new Carpet.

Last edited:

Vaughnmackay

Recruit

Guys n gals, I have a 2001 LXI 190, does the rear seat back on yours move so you can access the front of the motor more easily?, looks nice;)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

On mine, it doesn't move.
The seat is made of four components. The base is made of two upright pieces, one upright that forms the seat back and another that forms the front of the bench seat. A third, horizontal, piece forms the bench. (It has opening to allow access under the seat.) The fourth component is are the two cushions, attached to the seat assembly with piano hinges.

The seat back is screwed into the floor and the gunwhales, the front of the bench (under the seat, just behind where your calves are when seated) is also screwed into the floor and the gunwhales. The horizontal part of the seat (the part the cushion rest on) is screwed to those two upright pieces.

I'm not familiar with how your rear bench seat looks on the LXI. I tried Googling some pics but I couldn't find if it was constructed like mine or if it was built into some sort of molded fiberglass unit.

My seat assembly took about 20 minutes to remove. If I were doing any substantial work on the motor or underneath in the bilge, I'd consider removing the seat to get better access. It's really not hard. Just want to make sure you take photos so you can reassemble, and be ready to put some sealant (e.g., 3M 4200) into any screws upon reassembly to keep out moisture.

Does that help any?

Jim

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Seats and sundeck went in today. He said most likely he will have them about 3 weeks. Has anyone ever used Lancer Marine Carpet? Menards can special order it, in 6ft, 8ft, and 12ft widths. I am thinking of changing from the Dark Teal, to a tan, so I ordered some samples from them. If the Dark Teal is close, I may just go back to that also. I love the textured decks like Jim's boat, and Friscoboaters, but I would end up wanting snap in carpet along with that. So, for now, I am just going to install new Carpet.

If I were doing it over today, I'd probably gelcoat the deck and then add snap-in carpet or maybe Seadek or something similar.

Jim

christoner2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got a call yesterday, and he wanted me to stop by to see the wood bottoms on all of my seats. I had one back seat that was pretty rotted, but I took them all. Going to make new bottoms for every seat, so I can start fresh that way. No sense in putting old wood back in under fresh upholstery. That will be this weekends project. I have noticed that the rear seat underside storage has been the area that has the most rotted wood in mine. The floor looks ok, but the farthest back panel was rotted away at the bottom, and the panel that makes the front of the storage compartment also had rot, along with one of the seat bases. The other seat base looks like it has been fixed before, and is made of Seaboard, or something like that. Inside of that area is all carpet on my boat, and I am wondering if the carpet is what is holding the water, and causing the rot. I know the guy that owned the boat before me did a lot of skiing, tubing, etc. I am thinking I am going to make that area mostly dry storage from this time on.

christoner2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, got a couple pieces back yesterday. So far, I am ver happy with the work the upholstery guy is doing. Will try to post more pics tonight, because he says he should have some more pieces ready to pick up.

benjh1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I were doing it over today, I'd probably gelcoat the deck and then add snap-in carpet or maybe Seadek or something similar.

Jim
That's what i did on my LXi214 - gelcoat then Deckadence. Gelcoating the deck is a breeze since it doesn't have to be perfect as its being covered. Also, i made "spacers" out of HDPE to slightly elevate vertical panels off the deck to help prevent rot of those pieces.

christoner2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, had some other stuff going, and just finally got the boat back together, mostly. I have to have the upholstery guy install the snaps for the hold down straps. He wanted to do that once I got stuff back together. Still have some other things to do, but all in all, I am happy

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 0
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 0
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg