Deck in fiberglass boat

Bigcrossman

Cadet
I have a old boat unknown make and year that I picked it up from a old man in August of 2012. I want to put floor in it for fishing and duck hunting. The middle seat is gone and the inside is like a woven basket. I know I need to start with a frame for the floor but I'm not sure how it should look or how to get the plywood to form to the boat. I've been messing around with some old wood but it seems like it is goin to pub on the side of the boat and I don't want to take a chance of putting another hole in it. One plan I had was to drill aluminum to the side so I could just lay some plywood on top of it any ideas would be great thanks

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Deck in fiberglass boat

you have pics of the inside of the boat?

Bigcrossman

Cadet

it must be the picture I can upload other pictures I have saved on my computer but when I try to transfer the picture of my boat on to here it wont let me ill have to get another picture when I get out of work tomorrow if you could please check back with me as any info on how to put a deck in a 12 ft fiberglass jon boat v shape would be awesome thank you

Bigcrossman

Cadet

IMG_1072.jpg this is my boat yes that is a cornhole board in the middle of it I had it covered and used it to help keep the snow from caving the tarp in but how can i put a floor in this i only want it about 2 inches or so off the boat

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

you would glass in stringers then the floor on that

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You'll need 1 center Keel stringer and two side cleats. Sand the areas of the boat where the stinger and the cleats will go then use CSM to glass them in. Should only be about 2-3 inches off the hull. This drawing shows what I'm talking about. Cleats and keel stringer are shown in red. Deck wood needs to be sealed with resin and glass or at the very least with several coats of marine varnish or Oil based paint.

Boatdeck-2.jpg

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Now THAT's^^^^ a Good idea. Just extend the cleats in my drawing so they would lay on the hull and don't worry about attaching them to the boat. Use 1/2 Ply and it would be Light enuf to remove as needed. I guess that's why Bob gets the BIG BUCKS!!!!

Bigcrossman

Cadet

That was my first idea but after getting the wood and setting everything it just didn't feel right I got some 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 8 foot boards and I was goin to use 1/2 inch plywood for the top. But how do I figure out the angel of my boat so the plywood will fit snug

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

get a piece of cardboard and with Trial and error cut a template to fit the angle then transfer to the wood.

jbcurt00

Staff member

how do I figure out the angel of my boat so the plywood will fit snug
I wouldn't make the plywood fit too snug, a small gap, 1/4", would be better, IMO, so you have a little space for polyester resin filler. Make a small fillet between the top of the new plywood & the side of the boat. Then tab the plywood to the hull w/ fiberglass.