adding a floor to 14' alumacraft v hull ...

josh6780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How do I measure correctly to cut out the floor to fit up front? Where the "V" is? And while everyones at it...How do I properly install this floor. What I want to do Is just make it flat all across. and make the floor height even with the 3 bench seats. Then I want to cut out a door each section, (back, middle and front) to open and close for storage. Can I just cut the wood out and set it in or do I need to glue it? Do I need to use foam under it. (I don't even know what foam is used for or while people use it. If someone could explane that to me)<br /><br /><br />Another question. In one of the bench seats I have a seat mounted in the center. Well it comeing loose. So What I figured I should do is put some wood under the seat and screw it to that. But there is foam under the seat. Is it ok to rip it out. I have no idea why it's there. Or do you sugest another way of doing this?

Fishin' Jeff

Chief Petty Officer
Re: adding a floor to 14' alumacraft v hull ...

I wanted to do that with my 14 footer too, Josh.<br />However, I found that raising the floor also raises the center of gravity. This will make your boat VERY tippy. I installed a deck that extends from the bow to the rear of the front bench seat in hopes of mounting a pedestal up there. I had to change plans and remove the pedestal because of the c.o.g.<br /><br />The seat is there to support your hull. I would not remove it. The foam is flotation foam to insure your boat doesn't sink if it becomes swamped. Do not remove it.<br /><br />Sorry if it sounds like I'm raining on your parade. I'm not trying to be a party-pooper. Check out this thread if you'd like to see pics of what I've done with mine.<br /><br /> http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=004569

josh6780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, Thats pretty much what I want to do. And I did not think of covering the bench with would. I was thinking of putting the wood under it. Anyway I really like what you did there. I think I will do something like that. Can you tell me everything you do. What kind of screws you screwed down the wood with and where. What kind of wood you bought and how you made it so shiny? How did you measure and cut to fit the v? What is a c.o.g.? And how sturdy is your seat with it screwed into the wood? My seats is coming out. So I have to re enforce it with wood anyway.<br /><br />Oh and where did you get that seat mount at?

josh6780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just went and measured my boat. Is is actually about 13 feet. I went and messured it b/c I looked at yours and thought. MAn that seems bigger than 14 feet. Turns out mine is smaller. :)

Pony

Rear Admiral

I also had grand plans of seat removal and decks and pedestal seats that I threw on the wayside because of structure and c.o.g. issues............<br /><br />I did this, if you have any q's or need other detailed pics, let me know.<br /><br /> <br /> <br />
10000484yu.gif
<br />
fallfishin0245kf.jpg
<br /><br />None of these pictures show it, but the area between the fron bench and very front seat is also floored, but coverd in black rubber instead of the blue carpet. The floor is 100% removeable and is very sturdy. The whole project cost me $30 and took me about a day to finish.

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

Good pic fellas. I put 2" isulation under mine. It is for noise reduction rather than flotation.<br /><br />Josh, cog is center of gravity. The higher it is the easier it is to tip over or fall out. I used zinc coated bolts with nylon in the nuts to act like a lock washer. In some places it may be hard to get washers in depending how you do yours. Treated plywood you can coat with an outdoor coating to keep moisture out. For further noise reducton use astroturf. Contact cement works good with that. If you wanted the shiney wood effect use polyurathane. Good luck with it. Post some pics when done.

josh6780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What I need to know, is how you measer for the v in the front deck.

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by josh6780:<br /> What I need to know, is how you measer for the v in the front deck.
Boats are built,...And Measured,... Out from the Keel........<br /><br />So,.... Pull a String Line on the Keel Line,....And Measure Out from the String to the Hull, in measured increments,.....<br />That'll give you the slope or angle of the Hull......<br /><br />Using different String Lines,.... You can Measure All the different Angles of the Hull........ ;)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

go to the appliance store, get a big box and make a template. it's chaeper the a wrong cut on the wood.

Fishin' Jeff

Chief Petty Officer

I put the end of a tape measure at the bow, ran it down the center of the boat, and measured from that centerline to the hull in each direction (you should get the same #'s here if your tapes in the center). I measured every 3 inches till I got to the rear of the front seat. I purposely cut the wood half an inch too big on each side so I could rasp and sand it to a perfect fit. Notice the tip of mine broke upon installation, so you want to make sure you have plenty of room up front.

josh6780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok thanks. And What do you suggest I use. Marine wood or pine wood? and you used pollyurithane for that shine?

Fishin' Jeff

Chief Petty Officer

I used the white pine because I had it in my shed. Yes, outdoor SPAR polyeurothane is what I used. 15 or so thin coats with steel wool between coats. I put that much on in hopes of it protecting the wood over the next 10 years of sun & fun.<br /><br />If you plan on painting or carpeting it, go with marine grade plywood. It's most likely cheaper than the grade of wood I used.

josh6780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, You mean you sanded it with steel wool between the coats?

studlymandingo

Commander

When you paint or clear-coat wood, it will raise the grain as the wood absorbs the material. The steel wool between coats smooths that out so you get a good slick finish. This is the same thing you would do if you were refinishing furniture. As with anything, preparation is the key, the more time you spend covering the details, the better the end result. As Tashasdaddy said, after you take your measurements, use a large piece of cardboard to make a template, get that to fit perfectly first, then trace it on to your ply; it will save lots of headaches. Measure twice- cut once!