1971 17' Invader Tri-Hull Restoration, The Madness Begins

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks SP!

I've got some major catching up to do in my absence!

Looks like a lot of good stuff still going on around here!

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
About the only thing I was able to do to the boat recently was to get it ready for the snow and rain we will surely have this year.

The Admiral got a gift card for me at that outdoor place world where I snatched a cover for only $42 saving me almost a cool C note.

Not having any seats, or interior, or motor, I knew it would stretch and pool water and ice, so I made a skeleton for it using the money I saved on the cover.

It's a little big but I was afraid that if I went smaller, that it wouldn't fit at all. So if anyone needs storage for a John boat, I've got space for rent.

Other than that, I think it turned out pretty good:

I do tend to overdo things. That's me, first one on the left, second row.

I'll get a high dollar custom made one when I get closer to being done...

if I ever get that far on it.

Last edited:

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks TC!

I forgot to mention: I used the larger Pool Noodles elaborately too, over the windshield frame and back at the stern where I cut the hull-cap to cushion the rough edges and prevent those surfaces from fraying the new cover.

Leave it to us Hillbillies to come up with weird and unusual ways of getting something done!

tallcanadian

Captain
Thanks TC!

I forgot to mention: I used the larger Pool Noodles elaborately too, over the windshield frame and back at the stern where I cut the hull-cap to cushion the rough edges and prevent those surfaces from fraying the new cover.

Leave it to us Hillbillies to come up with weird and unusual ways of getting something done!

Whatever works. Pool noodles are used for flotation too. I have used pipe insulation pieces before for my windshield. Not as thick as pool noodles but saved some wear and tear on the tarps.

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer
Nothing wrong with using pool noodles for the sharp edges. Saves developing holes in your cover.

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah Glenn, that was my biggest fear with the new cover.

I had a cheap "blue" tarp on it last year just to keep the leaves out and it just bearly lasted the summer.

Emagine how long it would have lasted out in the dessert, but I guess I wouldn't have had the leaves either!

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
High Y'all!

Been SOOOOOO Long since I been able to post ANYTHING
facepalm.gif
and I apologize for it; I've missed my friends here, each and everyone of you!

Work has been UBER Busy which is good and we have had poor at best internet at home.

We do have a new AS9110 Cert hanging on the wall at work, an accomplishment which took over a year to design, implement, and be be audited on. Airplanes, ya got to love 'em!

Hope All are doing well and everyone stays safe Boatin'!

Rocko

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mud,
Don't know if you ever pulled your MC 1 Gimbel assy apart. I have a 1976 version. The two large dowel pins on that go thru the Gimbel ring pivot point into the bell housing. Are held in with two aluminum style nails. Look around the dowel pin for the nail head, If you push "pivot" the Gimbel ring to port or starboard you can see the bent backside of the nail. After you remove the nail pins use a dowel pin puller on the dowel pins.

There is a hole in the side of the Gimbel housing to access the hose clamp screw on one of the bellows. You could cut the bellows instead, then after its apart remove hose clamps.

The screws after plenty of penetrating oil may turn or break off. The ones holding the Trailer tilt switch broke off for me. Had to use a long aircraft drill bit for it, I accidently drilled thru the housing :facepalm:. Which wasn't a bad thing, because if you look there at how much room you have. You will notice that you could not get a tap in. I just turned it over, drilled though hole and tapped from backside. I then put a set screw with Loctite to seal the hole.

My trailer tilt switch wire were only an inch long, but the switch still worked. Soldered longer wires to it. After I clean and paint the Gimbel Assy I'll reinstall.

Good luck on yours

tallcanadian

Captain
Good to see your still alive and kicking. Have you done anymore work on your boat or just taking a break from it.

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

The dowel pin is a 1/4-28 unf thread. The trailer tilt screws were a 1/4-20 unc. The big pin in the bottom of the gimbel ring has an 1/8 Dia cotter pin. If it doesn't look like it's there it may have a little rusted piece remaining. Use an long 1/8 dia punch. Then with the big pin just use a punch and hammer to pop it out from the bottom. The slot in it is to help realigned pin when it goes back together.
Don't lose the shims, one with each dowel, one with the bottom pin, and one with the top pin.

Correction on the screw holes I had to drill they were on the bracket that held the switch wires that came through the gimbel housing.

Attachments

• photo224898.jpg
    photo224898.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo224899.jpg
    photo224899.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 0
  • photo224900.jpg
    photo224900.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo224901.jpg
    photo224901.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mud,
Don't know if you ever pulled your MC 1 Gimbel assy apart. I have a 1976 version. The two large dowel pins on that go thru the Gimbel ring pivot point into the bell housing. Are held in with two aluminum style nails. Look around the dowel pin for the nail head, If you push "pivot" the Gimbel ring to port or starboard you can see the bent backside of the nail. After you remove the nail pins use a dowel pin puller on the dowel pins.

There is a hole in the side of the Gimbel housing to access the hose clamp screw on one of the bellows. You could cut the bellows instead, then after its apart remove hose clamps.

The screws after plenty of penetrating oil may turn or break off. The ones holding the Trailer tilt switch broke off for me. Had to use a long aircraft drill bit for it, I accidently drilled thru the housing :facepalm:. Which wasn't a bad thing, because if you look there at how much room you have. You will notice that you could not get a tap in. I just turned it over, drilled though hole and tapped from backside. I then put a set screw with Loctite to seal the hole.

My trailer tilt switch wire were only an inch long, but the switch still worked. Soldered longer wires to it. After I clean and paint the Gimbel Assy I'll reinstall.

Good luck on yours

Hey 52!

Thanks! I had that same question about a year ago and have never gotten that far with it! IF I ever get there, I may very well be bugging you with questions!

Mud!

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good to see your still alive and kicking. Have you done anymore work on your boat or just taking a break from it.

Hey Tall!

No, No Work On, No Break, just No Work on Boat!

I've got to get back on it before I forget where all the pieces go or I may be making a made dash to Nova Scotia looking for help!

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
The dowel pin is a 1/4-28 unf thread. The trailer tilt screws were a 1/4-20 unc. The big pin in the bottom of the gimbel ring has an 1/8 Dia cotter pin. If it doesn't look like it's there it may have a little rusted piece remaining. Use an long 1/8 dia punch. Then with the big pin just use a punch and hammer to pop it out from the bottom. The slot in it is to help realigned pin when it goes back together.
Don't lose the shims, one with each dowel, one with the bottom pin, and one with the top pin.

Correction on the screw holes I had to drill they were on the bracket that held the switch wires that came through the gimbel housing.

LOOKY LOOKY! Pictures! Thanks! That will help. I've got it setting on the floor next to the Merc, but that is as far as I have made it for along time.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
MP, It's good to see you back on the forum!!! Hope you get to go back to work on your boat soon!!! I'm hopin for a Summer Splash soon. All the lakes in N.E. Okla. are flooded except mine soooo I haven't been out due to Over Population and 2 hour wait times at the ramps!!!!:facepalm: I WILL get it done soon though!!!! Hope to see you back at it soon!!!:joyous:

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Wood!

I was able to catch up from time to time on some of the resto's, but I couldn't ever post anything from home. I'm at work today trying to get all of my security stuff in place (AGAIN) so I can keep these birds flying.

I was down in your neck of the woods (no pun intended) before the floods, but was pressed for time so I couldn't even holler at c'yha.

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry I haven't replied for a while, but I had to complete some engineering and travel my tuchus down to just north of Dallas and inspect a couple of A/C wings (I've smelled like raw jet fuel all day long).

So went out to the airport this morning and got my inspection completed before noon.

Came back and went exploring. Had found a town by the same name of the town we currently reside in and it turns out to be the Trail Head of the Cattle Barons, John and Jesse Chisum... View attachment 25548

Chisum is also a Scottish Clan by the way, I'm a fairly new member of a Scottish Kilt Forum too.

He was made famous in local folklore long before the Morrison movie (a.k.a. John Wayne) "John Chisum".

My wife also found painted on the back of an RV, the name McCullough, which is a family name she just researched in and around Knoxville. Seems like they went to Iowa and fought against my family and then moved to Texas, some, but not all. It is a small world when it comes right down to it and they may very well have been family.

Did get to see Texas Motor Speedway as well!

Wish we had time to go seek out our Texas friends and make some new ones, but funds and time aren't on our side this time around. Did find we can travel down in about 8 hrs. on a tank of fuel, 24.6MPG, best millage we have ever gotten in any vehicle, not pulling a boat.