1971 17' Invader Tri-Hull Restoration, The Madness Begins

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Welcome back to an almost working forum, Mud...glad to hear all the recent happenings and major congrats on the newest addition to the Family...Many Blessings!
I too, have been slacking off on my tub due to life generally being in the way, but all is good...
Later, brother!

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome back to an almost working forum, Mud...glad to hear all the recent happenings and major congrats on the newest addition to the Family...Many Blessings!
I too, have been slacking off on my tub due to life generally being in the way, but all is good...
Later, brother!

GT, that's part of why I haven't posted anything...

I couldn't, and it still is pretty sketchy. The last time I posted, it made copies and posted Thrice, then the Forum went down. I sent Admin a note, but I guess they have been busy putting out fires elsewhere.

One thing I've noticed; we are all gonna have to go around liking each others posts to get back to "Pre-Update" likeability, otherwise, it looks as if we're all a bunch of loosers.

To be quite honest with you all, I haven't even enjoyed trying to look at other's posts. It's just been to unreliable, but I'm sure they are working to correct those few things.

I feel kinda bad for anyone who came on in the middle of all of that and their posts are completely gone. There were a couple of posts that I was really interested in and haven't been able to find where they came back and reposted.

Hope we didn't scare them off.

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good to see your still kickin ! Yeah work can be a real drag on your boat resto stuff . But ya gotta pay at the bills ...
Been hanging out here#100 doing a special project .
Hope all is well ! SP...

Hmmm link didn't work . The re beginning of this thread starts at post 100
1974Ouachita Tri-hull bass boat restoration .

So I don't know if I went to what you were talking about ^^^^, but .I did make it over to your Glassmaster rebuild and read all of it from bow to stern. Been on some of those bathroom remodels myself. When I got outta school, I drove nails for a while. All those FHA houses we built in the late '70s had 1/2" or 5/8" CDX down, then after the walls were up, 4 mil Visqueen and 3/4" particle board. YEAP, Visqueen and particle board.

One leaky supply line, or tank, or bad wax, and it all would swell up like a three week old Bass laying in the back of a pickup during the Summer Equinox. It would stink about as bad too.

You don't know how many bathrooms I got to go back and redo when I went out on my own in the '80s.

As for the RAS, mine is a Craftsman '57 model, and I got mine for a steal. Owned by a company that used to go around setting up those big blue farm silos. They would build loafing sheds behind the silos and use the radial for rafter cuts. When they were done they would just toss it in the back of a pickup and run on to the next one. They got rid of it because it didn't cut straght.

The first thing I did was level it and put a new deck on it. It's on it's 5th deck right now and about the 15th fence set and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's help build 43 houses and I don't know how many remodels (I used to specialize in Kitchens and Cabinets) before I hung up my pouches for good.

EDIT: I found it right after I hung up (posted). I'm reading now!

Last edited:

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hope everyone had a Safe and Happy Independence Day!

I would have gotten on and wished everyone the same, but our Internet was down until this afternoon. It's been raining here and I guess has messed with the ionosphere. Had a week signal, but no connectivity.

So the 4th was good. Worked on the grandsons' Radio Flyer Traveler the Captain found for $17.50 at a garage sale. It's an older wagon, but in fairly good shape. Sanded the bed and she repainted it. I Also Got to BBQ Friday afternoon. Did some Baby Back Ribs.

FINALLY GOT TO WORK ON THE BOAT SOME!
whoo.gif

Saturday I started working on the last of the fiberglass grinding with an old 7" electric grinder, since I haven't been able to drag the boat back to the shop. That lasted about thirty minutes, and the brushes started chattering.
frusty.gif

I guess I'm going to get new ones this week as they were burned up. Today, I was cleaning the inside of the hull and found a couple of previous repairs under some foam residue I hadn't spotted yet.

I also pulled stuff out of the front hold and found a tube glassed into the bow, through the floor and down into the foam. I guess it was a vent of some sort. Too high to be a drain, and I sure wouldn't want water draining into the foam anyway. It was original to the boat.

I don't know whether to leave it or remove it. Anyone have any ideas?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Gladdened to hear you and yours had a nice 4th...
Sorry to hear of the computer and grinder troubles...
I can't think of anything clever to say after all the shaft talk over at Sam's place...
I would remove the tube, unless you feel it has nostalgic value...:rolleyes::)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Mine had the same tube for under floor ventilation .. I replaced mine with a piece of fuel line I had laying around..

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gladdened to hear you and yours had a nice 4th...
Sorry to hear of the computer and grinder troubles...
I can't think of anything clever to say after all the shaft talk over at Sam's place...
I would remove the tube, unless you feel it has nostalgic value...:rolleyes::)

I was just so surprised to see it, and yes, it is very nostalgic. Just needs to be more '70sish. Mayby a Piece Symbol, or those funny six sided Flower Power designs on it.

Mine had the same tube for under floor ventilation .. I replaced mine with a piece of fuel line I had laying around..

Guess I will keep it or modify it like yours. Just threw me for a loop.

Speaking of Loopy. I had both your post up and Gus' post and I had to go back and edit. It took so long getting my bucket to load, I had them confused and Sam I had your name on Gus's post and Gus, I had your name on Sam's and I haven't even been around any resin yet. :facepalm:

Oh well, we're all just "Cadets" still (according to the tag right below our names, but at least I can post now, when I have internet)! :lol:

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer
Still trying to figure out this new forum format. So I haven't been on here in a really long time myself.

Ah yes grinder issues...I rubber banded a Scotch scratch pad around the vent holes of my grinder to act as a filter. Just thought I would mention it if you would like to try that.

Glad to hear you had a great 4th :)

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Still trying to figure out this new forum format. So I haven't been on here in a really long time myself.

Ah yes grinder issues...I rubber banded a Scotch scratch pad around the vent holes of my grinder to act as a filter. Just thought I would mention it if you would like to try that.

Glad to hear you had a great 4th :)

Hope you had a good 4th as well Glenn!

Yeah the improvements are Really SOMETHING!
clap2.gif
confused.gif
I tried posting this a moment ago, and it said I wasn't allowed. WOW!, on my own thread even!

As far as for the grinder, I'm not able to find any brushes for it locally. I paid over $100 for it back in '73 and I don't feel that it is completely dead yet, or it may be if I can't find brushes.
heart-borken.png

All of the old time hardware stores are gone, the lumber yards have all changed hands, they don't know what you are talking about at the Big Lumber Supermarkets, and most of the Tool Repair shops, just replace cords.

I wish I could find some slightly oversized brushes. I would file them down to fit, but I can't find anything close to the right size.
frusty.gif
Cry.gif

Guess I will have to breakdown and pull it here to the shop to do about an hours worth of grinding on it so I can proceed.

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Check out this link, MP...
https://www.google.com/search?q=mot...:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb...
Might get lucky and find what you are looking for...

Thanks GT! I about tried everything I know. I tried all of those this week during my lunch hour. I've been everywhere in town and even called back home. There is a store in a little town between the two and it has been in their family for three generations. I'm thinking since it is an old hardware store, they may have some, but I don't think they are open on the weekend.

The wife is doing a flea market there tomorrow and is gonna go look if she can get away.

I did find a place in Birmingham, AL that will fabricate them for 12$ a piece, :faint2: which may be the only way I get it running. There is just enough Scottish blood flowing through my veins, I hate spending that much, but I'm not about to toss out a perfectly good grinder either.

I don't think they have a minimum, but I'll get 4 if I have to order. It may be my last chance to get any. The one that are in it are 20 years old and were only 4 bucks for the set. :censored: :sorry:

I wonder if they are still in warranty? :confused:

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey!

Getting closer to Slash! Not realy, pretty slow on the Boat Restoration but the Captain did find this at a Flea For Sale:

So it's not a finished boat, but a pretty good nab for 11$ me thinks! I think I will call it Dan. Dan Forth the anchor. Kind of a catchy name don't you think?

One last thing we will have to buy as we get closer...

heck, who am I kidding, the boat is setting idle. Not ANY Spare Time.

Hope everyone is doing well and getting ready for Hump Day tomorrow.

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
That ring between the shackle and the anchor will fail long before the chain or shackle. Get rid of it and install another shackle.

Also, read this Wikipedia link on mousing !

Hey, theold.

I'm digging what your putting down! :rockon:

Yeah the ring is only welded and I was thinking about getting a SS karabiner in place of the clevis. The safety wire is a good thought, and since we work on A/C, there ought to be some handy. :plane:

The PO (and one of my best friends and boss) had a tube tied up in a cove and when the boys went to load it on the boat, lost the anchor it was tied to. I think the story goes that they left it.

Last edited:

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah the ring is only welded and I was thinking about getting a SS karabiner in place of the clevis..
A screw pin clevis with a twist of safety wire is THE BEST connection between a chain and anything else, including another chain. (They make chain screw pin shackle just for that job).

If you want bling, get a SS screw pin clevis. At my summer rental, I have to anchor about 30' off shore. Being the paranoid person that I am, I still use a screw pin clevis to connect my oversized Danforth with 12' of chain (3' of water) to the boat. Besides being paranoid, I am a;so a know klutz, so both the screw pin and clevis are tied to to the chain with a piece of braid nylon cord. For "mousing" the pin, I use heavy SS safety wire (0.040) that I covered in marine heat shrink. Not the prettiest, but I won't be diving for the screw pin or the shackle if I fumble-finger them or worry about the pin unscrewing during a blow !

If you want quick connection and release the you want a Suncor heavy duty swivel snap shackle. Open your wallet wide !

PRODUCT_jaw_swivel_snap_shackle_171.jpg

The pin on the main body is spring loaded. pull the ring and it swings open.

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you want quick connection and release the you want a Suncor heavy duty swivel snap shackle. Open your wallet wide !

PRODUCT_jaw_swivel_snap_shackle_171.jpg

The pin on the main body is spring loaded. pull the ring and it swings open.

I don't think I have ever seen this kinda shackle before. Pretty interesting looking and with the precision, I can see where it could get pricy.

I know welded rings can fail and forged rings are about the same

but what I was thinking was the SS quick links like:

I have used a crescent and a heavy duty pry bar and tightened them so tight that it was hard to undo. The ends of the safety wire could be pulled back into itself and virtually hidden if one takes their time.

Oh well, it's gonna be some time before I get to take Dan Forth out for a swim. May be able to save enough up to afford the snap shackle.

One of my biggest issues I face soon is being able to find a 2 stud Bow Eye. All of the ones I have found are single stud with a couple barbs to keep the thing from rotating. I just can't wrap my mind around that concept as being a very idea or very good on the outer hull if it twists and I'm sure it will at some point or another.

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Everyone!

Yes, I am still around. Been a crazy year; so much going on. A two month review of new Military Technical Orders against the ones we were using, a new Digital Product Definition Process document created so we could handle 3D Model Based Definition files, a month long search for a 3D software, 3 major audits, a new Quality system, a new Supplier Statement of Work, and 50 military units shipped to support the defense of our Nation.

Just wanted to wish everyone in my iboats family, a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Glad you got all that stuff :twitch: all taken care of ! Especially if it's for our nations protection ! :usa:
Hope you and yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving ! :)