Prepping and painting a 1980's half cabin

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi all firstly I will apologise if I have put this in the wrong category, I have a 17ft half cabin which I have just given a one pack coat of black gloos enamel to the bottom after hours of stripping the original terrible paint job with 3 different coats of paint to get through. After 2 days of stripping the paint I them pressure cleaned it and then sanded to a 180 grit, I then applied my one pack paint to the bottom. My question is after seeing how well it came up on the bottom I am thinking of putting a two pack coat on the sides, The sides have been previously sanded but I painted them with the wrong paint which I will now take off, not a big job really cause the paint was so bad it comes off with the pressure cleaner under it.
So what type of two pack paint do I use as I have never used a two pack. How do you use a two pack paint and should I undercoat the sides before the paint. I did on the bottom because of the crap paint previous.
Any help is appreciated :D

zool

Captain
Re: Prepping and painting a 1980's half cabin

Hey Mick,

First things first, lets talk about the crap paint on the bottom you removed. Is your boat gonna be trailerd and launched for use, or kept at a dock for extended time? The pic in your avatar looks to have been bottom painted with anti fouling paint...which looks like crap paint, but its necessary.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

No don't think it was anti-fouling just some crap black paint which was peeling, and no it's trailered. I used International Yacht paint on the bottom but just a one pack paint not 2 pack.

zool

Captain

Ok, with a 2 pack or 2 part paint, you basically prep the same as the other...not sure what brands you have available down under, but the choice is usually just limited to budget and/or application method. Linear Polyurethanes and poly enamels are most often used for sides and top decks, but you can use most any type. If your spraying it, the skies the limit, if brushing/rolling, its best to find a system with a brushing thinner, which helps in leveling the brush marks.

If I was brushing, I would use a linear poly like Awlgrip over an epoxy primer.....

If spraying, I would use an Acrylic Urethane like Awlcraft, or any number of auto and fleet paints, also over epoxy primer.

The 2 pack systems just use a catalyst mixed per instructions on the tech sheet, you get better adhesion and durability with hardened paint, as opposed to one part paints.