What's the best carpet to use on trailer runners?

st3ph3n

Cadet
I was going to use whatever outdoor carpet lowes had. My plan was use the same stuff on the trailer runners that I was going to use to replace in the boat.

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: What's the best carpet to use on trailer runners?

I used outdoor carpet from Lowe's. It was grey. It's been two full years, and it's looking good. But I only launch & retrieve about 5 times a year. But it seems like it would hold up well.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

My carpet was looking a little worn.I decided to put those plastic bunk slicks on.Screwed them on and what a great investment! It's like having rollers instead of bunks.They made loading and unloading so much better.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

your idea will work just fine, as you will probably have a crap piece. use it. save a buck for other toys.

ljshein

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I took Gary's idea a step further and replaced the whole bunk with recycled plastic lumber, no carpet. The boat slides easy like rollers, no wood to rot and no carpet to catch dirt and mark up the fiberglass. I spent about $40 for two 9' 2x4s and a a couple of hours to install.<br /><br />I've had it for 2 seasons now and I'm still happy after loading and unloading every saturday and sunday last season.<br /><br />Jeff