fuel tank removal on Silverton 310 express

Status
Not open for further replies.

bariloche

Recruit
Can somebody please tell me how to remove the port fuel tank on a Silverton 310 Express?

Many thanks.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: fuel tank removal on Silverton 310 express

Welcome to iBoats . . .

I am not sure if anyone will be able to give you detailed guidance, based on having done the exact thing on that same boat . . .but . . . Many of us iBoats folks have removed fuel tanks as part of restoration work.

A bit more background information and some pictures would be helpful. do you know exactly where the fuel tank is located in the boat, and do you have good access to it from the deck?

I am currently removing the fuel tank from my Formula 330SS, which is a similar sized boat. Cruisers are often more challenging to work on than smaller boats and the larger 'sport' boats.

Here is a link to my fuel tank removal: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...mula-330ss-bulkhead-replacement-634716-3.html

I have not removed the tank yet, but that is on the weekend's plans

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Welcome to Iboats.

Pics would help us help you

bariloche

Recruit

Welcome to iBoats . . .

I am not sure if anyone will be able to give you detailed guidance, based on having done the exact thing on that same boat . . .but . . . Many of us iBoats folks have removed fuel tanks as part of restoration work.

A bit more background information and some pictures would be helpful. do you know exactly where the fuel tank is located in the boat, and do you have good access to it from the deck?

I am currently removing the fuel tank from my Formula 330SS, which is a similar sized boat. Cruisers are often more challenging to work on than smaller boats and the larger 'sport' boats.

Here is a link to my fuel tank removal: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...mula-330ss-bulkhead-replacement-634716-3.html

I have not removed the tank yet, but that is on the weekend's plans

Thank you so much for your response.

I will try to send pictures later today or tomorrow.

It's the port tank that's involved and it cannot be seen without cutting into something. As best we can tell, it's located along the port hull, behind the toilet and in front of the engine compartment. There is no access point that we can find. We will have to cut something. But the suggestions I have received run from 1). cutting the deck (supposedly above the tank) to 2). removing the toilet and then cutting through the toilet wall, to 3). removing all the seats from the stern seating/sleeping compartment and then cutting through that wall, to 4). cutting through the hull itself. So, as you can see, the advice I'm getting is all over the place and I don't know what to do.

It's wonderful news to hear that you've removed a tank from a Silverton 310 Express and I'm most hopeful that you can give me practical assistance here. Thank you again.

tpenfield

Staff member

Thank you so much for your response.

I will try to send pictures later today or tomorrow.

It's the port tank that's involved and it cannot be seen without cutting into something. As best we can tell, it's located along the port hull, behind the toilet and in front of the engine compartment. There is no access point that we can find. We will have to cut something. But the suggestions I have received run from 1). cutting the deck (supposedly above the tank) to 2). removing the toilet and then cutting through the toilet wall, to 3). removing all the seats from the stern seating/sleeping compartment and then cutting through that wall, to 4). cutting through the hull itself. So, as you can see, the advice I'm getting is all over the place and I don't know what to do.

It's wonderful news to hear that you've removed a tank from a Silverton 310 Express and I'm most hopeful that you can give me practical assistance here. Thank you again.

Nobody on this thread has said that . . . :)

You might want to try to contact Silverton (which is now owned by Egg Harbor) to see if they can provide some guidance.

bariloche

Recruit

Nobody on this thread has said that . . . :)

You might want to try to contact Silverton (which is now owned by Egg Harbor) to see if they can provide some guidance.

Sorry for the delay but it took time to get some pics. Thanks for the input on Egg Harbor. I will try to contact them.

Some pics are attached. We haven't been able to see the tank from any angle but believe it's located right along the port side, to the stern of the head and in front of the engine compartment. Several ways to access it have been suggested but nobody has done this before with a Silverton. It seems to me that the best options are either 1). to cut in from the hull or 2). remove all the seating from the stern compartment, which is located right behind the head and then cut in from there.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

John

Attachments

• Port motor compartment and generator 0214.jpg
    Port motor compartment and generator 0214.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Port motor compartment and generator B 0214.jpg
    Port motor compartment and generator B 0214.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Port side and stairs 0214.jpg
    Port side and stairs 0214.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Head, looking to stern 0214.jpg
    Head, looking to stern 0214.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Port side stern bedroom A 0214.jpg
    Port side stern bedroom A 0214.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1

tpenfield

Staff member

Are there any areas of the cockpit decking that look like they could be removed??? Maybe take a few more pictures of the cockpit floor areas would be helpful. I would not cut the hull to gain access. The builders of the boats generally provide a way to do major maintenance & repair.

Here is what the access on my Formula 330SS looks like, just for comparison. It is a single large fuel tank . . .

IMG_3511.jpg

I had to remove the helm seat in order to fully expose the deck hatch. So, I would see if the cockpit deck has similar removable sections

tpenfield

Staff member

I just took a look at a few pictures of some Silverton 310's online . . . .

I'd be looking to gain access thru the port side of the rear berth. From the pictures and the layouts of the boat, it looks like there is no access from the deck, and I am not sure there would be enough access from the head compartment either.

But if you can contact the folks at Silverton/Egg Harbor . . .

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

I just can't imagine a boat that you couldn't see at least part of the tank(s) or at least trace the fuel line to the bulkhead containing it.

Do not cut the hull.

In my 34' Bayliner (and most bigger Bay's) they are under the mid-cabin berth (aka the cave)

Have you tried the Silverton forum?

zool

Captain

I dont think cutting the hull bottom is an option, you need access to the interior hull to repair it, which you dont have.

I believe you have 150 gal fuel capacity, so if 2 tanks, they are 75 gal each...not too monumental in size. I would look to remove the helm seating, and cut out the molded curved area on the port side, exposing the deck area from the cabin bulkhead to the firewall, and cut there if there no obstruction from an aft sleeper.

After checking it out further, It looks like you have a convertable dinette aft. so you may have to make the cut at the port seating portion down below. Have you checked under the seat cushion area for inspection hatches, there must be access to the sending units and fill/vent tubes. You may get away with leaving the top decks alone and just cutting out the dinette seats.

Last edited:

Spridal

Recruit

I hope I can be of some help.
I have personal experience in replacing both port and starboard tanks of my Silverton 310.
First off you have a job on your hands. You should have previous experience with fiberglass and a vast knowledge of the mechanical systems of the boat.
basically you need to cut the bulkhead which separates the engine Compartment from the aft cabin on the port side where the tank is located.
You will need to remove the Portside engine in order to allow room for the tank to slide back out of its location.
Also you will need to cut a couple of access points in the aft cabin in order to remove screws from a mounting bracket that holds the tank securely in place and to disconnect a vent line.
I don't know what else I could add at this moment but should you have any questions please feel free to ask.
One last suggestion is to take photos of the entire engine compartment i.e. hose,wire,cable routing in order to use as reference in the future.
Hope this has been of some help

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Spridal,

would you have any photographs you may have taken to help bariloche along in his endeavor?

zool

Captain

I hope I can be of some help.
I have personal experience in replacing both port and starboard tanks of my Silverton 310.
First off you have a job on your hands. You should have previous experience with fiberglass and a vast knowledge of the mechanical systems of the boat.
basically you need to cut the bulkhead which separates the engine Compartment from the aft cabin on the port side where the tank is located.
You will need to remove the Portside engine in order to allow room for the tank to slide back out of its location.
Also you will need to cut a couple of access points in the aft cabin in order to remove screws from a mounting bracket that holds the tank securely in place and to disconnect a vent line.
I don't know what else I could add at this moment but should you have any questions please feel free to ask.
One last suggestion is to take photos of the entire engine compartment i.e. hose,wire,cable routing in order to use as reference in the future.
Hope this has been of some help

Since you had to cut into the base of the aft cabin anyway, isnt there room to lift the tank straight up into the aft cabin, and not have to touch the engine bay? That would only be one panel per tank to cut, and isolate the reglassing to just the aft cabin, which can be sealed off with plastic during grinding...

Spridal

Recruit

Sorry for such a delay in getting back,
Unfortunately I do not have any Photos During the process of replacing the tanks, that was one of the reasons of reminding Anyone attempting to do this to take Photos as reference.
As for cutting a large hole or opening in the aft cabin to Access the tank, They are fairly large and I don't believe that would be Possible. The tank is approximately 65 inches long 22 inches high and 17 inches wide. Maybe it is possible but I myself am better mechanically Than fiberglass repair. all the fiberglass in the after cabin is gelcoat.
All the fiberglass repair in the Engine compartment is concealed by foil face sound deadening material on the bulkhead so doesn't need to be as nice of job as if you were to cut the aft cabin.

Forevermad

Recruit
If any one ever has a problem removing their tank get ahold of me. We just finished removal and install of new tank in a 1996 express. I have pictures. Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If any one ever has a problem removing their tank get ahold of me. We just finished removal and install of new tank in a 1996 express. I have pictures. Thanks

Thanks for the info. Old thread and closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.