Trojan F26 kicker set up

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
This may cross a number of categories and topics, but I have a 1980 F26 Trojan inboard express cruiser, and I want to mount a trolling motor with controls. I have a motor mount attached to the teak swim platform (mount is from a Bayliner, I think). It bolts flat to the platform, and I've reinforced it underneath the platform with lengths of heavy aluminum angle iron. I want to put a 9.9 Chrysler Sailor on it, with remote controls and steering. The motor is electric start with a charging system. I see the battery mounted under the boat's rear deck, at the transom. I have a used rack and pinion steering set, with a destroyer-type wheel (18", I think). The steering tube will mount either through the motor mount braces (factory precut holes), or under the mounting clamps using a plate made for that purpose. I intend to run the remote shift/throttle wires through the transom, along with the battery wires, steering cable, and fuel line. I was thinking of doing one centered transom hole (motor mount is centered on the swim platform), then bringing up wires and cables for the console through a deck plate mounted under the console.

So I'm open to all comments, opinions, advice. The main engine is a single 305 IB -- runs well, but doesn't troll down slow enough in my opinion (tested by lure action only -- no speedometer or GPS measurement). It's too fast for lakers, even with the tabs fully lowered. I have one downrigger (rail mounted), and may add another, and will probably fish without a downrigger as well. I have to build a steering console, which I think will be installed a foot or two behind the pilot seat, and either on the starboard or port side. There is a centered hatch in the rear of the deck which I want to maintain access to.

Any thoughts? Anybody built a console for this type of setup (kind of like one of the rockfish boats on the Chesapeake, or the tuna boats I see on that TV show.) I'm thinking plywood (have some stained and finished birch plywood for a kitchen remodel, and would start with that I think.) I also have some teak from an old boat seat, and was thinking of that for the control panel. I've used West System epoxy with some success, but thinking on this one it will probably be varnish and paint. The boat is glass, white with natural teak trim -- and I know I'm about to make it look a little crappy by hanging a kicker off the back and stick in a console, but I really want a troller and a get-me-home motor.

Thanks.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Trojan F26 kicker set up

I have read on here where some have linked their kicker to the main out drive so they use the existing steering, perhaps there is some way to link it to your rudder:noidea: just a thought

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: Trojan F26 kicker set up

thought about that some coolbri, and there may be a way to do that -- although I haven't come up with one. And I kind of like the idea of having a set of controls further back in the stern, anyway. I've piggybacked trolling motors on outboards in various ways. Sometimes it's useful, though, to control the kicker independently. Zool, I have a set of those controls (forget the name, but they used to be made on Camano Island in Washington State). They are good on IOs and outboards.