How to paint fiberglass

Status
Not open for further replies.

gio80

Cadet
Hi everybody,
I'm renovating this small fiberglass boat and I need a quick help.

boat05.jpg

I just sanded it and I bought some west epoxy resin and hardener, but since I want the boat white, do I need to paint it before the resin or after it!?? :facepalm:

Thank you!!!

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: How to paint fiberglass

Welcome to iboats.....

Look in the resto sticky's section at the top of the fourm...Woodenglass has a big write up on how to paint a fiberglass boat.

Then come back with lotsa pictures and questions...

Good Luck!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You do the fiberglass repair first and the do the painting. I recommend to fill the gouges, cracks and scratches with your own filler made from the Epoxy resin & MicroBallons mixed to the consistency of a thick paste or the 3M Marine Premium Filler. The Resin by itself won't do much good. Epoxy by itself has NO UV protection so it always needs to be coated by something to protect it from the Sun. Sand/Scrape them out really well and then clean them with Acetone then use a plastic spreader to fill with the filler then sand and fair with 180 grit paper. Apply two thick coats of primer and then 3-4 coats of a Good Oil Based Acrylic Enamel Paint.

"Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks...Well Almost"

I think you can get your Acrylic Enamel Paint from here...
Export Services

Grainger's export services provide a full-service package to customers located outside North America.

Grainger conducts business under INCOTERMS? 2010 rules.
INCOTERMS? 2010 rules

Europe Export Center - Niles, IL

• E-mail: Global_Export@Grainger.com
  • Phone: +1 847 588 5000, Fax: +1 847 588 5004
  • Address: 7300 N. Melvina Ave., Niles, IL 60714-3998 USA

You can try to Steam Bend your wood OR you could cut several 1/8" slats of wood and bend them around the boat and then using the boat as the form use water resistant glue to glue the slats together until you get the thickness you want. Good Marine Woods are White Oak, Cypress, Cedar, Spruce, Teak, & Mahogany.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

What are you going to do with the epoxy?

Boatleaner

Cadet
Iam new to the boating world , how do I go about restoreing , my 1966 lone Star monterey sport the boat it self is really good just needs some TLC, just learned how to do the lights and horn ,now iam starting to sand it down the bow and the floor any advice would be great full iam new to all of this learning it all from the internet , and posting hear at iboat.com puting post hear I have general idea on how to restore my new acquired boat any advice would be great thanks Richard

Boatleaner

Cadet
How do I go about posting pics of my boat I take them with my cell phone when I go to post them it says file to large how do I make them smaller

Boatleaner

Cadet
Don't you use the epoxy to seal the strips of freberglass to patch cracks in the floor

Status
Not open for further replies.