19' Olympic Hard Top... whats under the floor?

the man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought this boat, it is a 1984 Olympic Hard Top. Pictures below. the floor has a couple "soft spots"; of course the sales man told me "that's how they all are". Not sure I Believe him but i bought it anyway. I want to do a couple test holes in the floor to see what the foam is like under it, and see what kind of shape it is really in.

anyway, what I really want to do is install a fuel tank under this floor. Does anyone have knowledge of the size of 'compartments' under this floor, the layout of the supports, or better yet have one of these boats with a tank that they have accessed and/or installed?

Thanks in advance...
VP3218355_2_large.jpg VP3218355_1_large.jpg

Last edited:

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Re: 19' Olympic Hard Top... whats under the floor?

You will know soon enough. Unfortunately, boats rot from the bottom up. If the deck is soft, most likely this means the rot is much more sever under the deck. Start investigating and check the transom & stringers.

the man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You will know soon enough. Unfortunately, boats rot from the bottom up. If the deck is soft, most likely this means the rot is much more sever under the deck. Start investigating and check the transom & stringers.

okay fair enough. any tips from anyone on how to go about this? i picture drilling some inspection holes to start. how would i expect this floor to be connected? i don't want to cause more damage taking it out than may already be there!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Your going to have to start poking around to find the fasteners. I would start by peeling up the floor covering where the soft spots are, I don't see how you could do any more damage. Not sure of anything inside your boat as far as the floor goes, maybe take some interior pics. If your going to pull decking to install a fuel tank then you should start tearing into it thinking you'll need to replace the floors and covering at least.

Watermann

Can't see to much in the way of fasteners in this pic but it's obviously had the floor covering and seating replaced at some point.

attachment.php

the man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your going to have to start poking around to find the fasteners. I would start by peeling up the floor covering where the soft spots are, I don't see how you could do any more damage. Not sure of anything inside your boat as far as the floor goes, maybe take some interior pics. If your going to pull decking to install a fuel tank then you should start tearing into it thinking you'll need to replace the floors and covering at least.

okay- its good to have some sort of plan before starting! this little bit of info has helped, as obvious as it may seem to those who already have the experience, so thanks guys. i will tap and try to find stringers, then cut where i think the fuel tank will go, and i will be able to see a lot then. also some inspection holes in between other stringers. maybe i will get lucky and not have to tear much out. maybe.

one more question... is it okay to move a bulkhead or two if i need to to make a fuel tank fit? seems like it would be fine within reason...

Watermann

When you get to the point of seeing what's what under there and can get some measurements,then go shop for a tank that will fit in the space is the easy way.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Tagging along,.....................