bilgekote over poly

Ok, after my stringer & transom work is done I was thinking of applying bilgekote to the entire hull as kind of little added protection. Could it be applied over unwaxed poly to achieve full surface cure?. (just a thought)

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: bilgekote over poly

I'd image you can,but be shure to scuff the entire hull to achive a good bond to the hull. And a good primer to match the paint. You don't want it to flake off,gets ugly when that happens.

tpenfield

Staff member

Bilgekote is pretty much polyurethane paint. Keep in mind that the white bilgekote tends to yellow fairly quickly. I have not used the grey bligekote, if that is what you plan on using.

FWIW - bligekote is almost the same chemical composition as floor & porch polyurethane paints . . . I got a gallon of the stuff at an ACE Hardware and compared the specs vs. bilgecoat . . . almost identical.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Ok, after my stringer & transom work is done I was thinking of applying bilgekote to the entire hull as kind of little added protection.

It will do nothing in the way of protection from anything, cosmetics may be better though. if it's in a permanently closed area it will cost you time and money with no benefit.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Ok, after my stringer & transom work is done I was thinking of applying bilgekote to the entire hull as kind of little added protection. Could it be applied over unwaxed poly to achieve full surface cure?. (just a thought)

Not sure if your asking this the way I'm reading it or not but I disagree w/ the previous 2 posts w/ regards to the part I bolded.

Bilge paint is bilge paint, I would NOT apply it to an uncured or under cured polyester resin surface. You should use PVA over the final coat of unwaxed resin (it has specific application parameters that should be ACCURATELY followed) or plan to add wax to the resin. This will allow the resin to cure. Once cured, the PVA &/or any wax blush must be washed off & the poly scuffed for paint to stick to it.

Don't depend on even being able to apply paint to un-cured or under cured resin let alone have it turn out good.

It is paint, so whether you use BilgKote or some other paint, be careful until you get the areas below decks covered w/ the deck.

BilgKote shouldn't have any effect on flotation foam (pour in or other) either.

tpenfield

Staff member

FWIW - I had a repair area on my boat that I used unwaxed resin on and it remained tacky after the resin had cured. After a couple of months, I applied polyurethane paint over the tacky resin and it cured up nicely to a hard smooth surface.

So, the paint seemed to do the job of the wax in allowing the previously exposed top layer of the resin to cure.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I forgot about the surface cure part.

99.9999% of boat builders don't use anything to cure the surface of a hull laminate (any laminate), after a short time it won't be sticky on its own. so it’s not really needed.

Some apply paints of some type in certain areas, normally gel coat though.

There are builders (not necessarily boat builders) that apply paint to sticky or uncured laminates and it works very well, not every type of paint will work though. I don’t know if Bilgecoat will work in this way, it might though.

But again, this is only done for cosmetic purposes.

jbcurt00

Staff member

FWIW - I had a repair area on my boat that I used unwaxed resin on and it remained tacky after the resin had cured. After a couple of months, I applied polyurethane paint over the tacky resin and it cured up nicely to a hard smooth surface.

So, the paint seemed to do the job of the wax in allowing the previously exposed top layer of the resin to cure.
I'm surprised, but I also doubt most would be waiting a couple months.

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So, there is no advantage to applying bilge kote or floor and porch paint, other than looks as it pertains to the polyester fiberglass? I would have thought that it may assist in moisture inhibiting?

My exprerience with 435 poly resin is after a few days to a week it fully cures with no wax!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Most paints have very poor water resistance and can be permeated rather quickly and easily, the laminate is far more water resistant than 99% of the paints available. Much of this comes from the fact that paints go on very thin, and since water can permeate almost any substance, the thin film of paint isn’t much of a barrier.

tpenfield

Staff member

Just makes things look nice . . .

100_0529.jpg

zool

Captain

If you have inspection hatches/plates, there is a benefit in visability...you can trace water intrusion, plumbing/fuel leaks easier. Ive been just using single part epoxy garage floor paint, under 30 bux a gallon and sticks like glue. The factory coated the inspection areas with light grey gel on mine...so I followed that with the paint.....

Plus it hides "less than perfect" glassing :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok, let me Clarify a bit, IF, you want to use bilgeCoat or another kind of paint in areas that will be exposed after the deck has been layed down and completed then I too believe it would be a good practice for reasons stated, but to apply it to areas Underdeck is again IMHO a complete waste of time, money, and material.

tpenfield

Staff member

If you have inspection hatches/plates, there is a benefit in visability...you can trace water intrusion, plumbing/fuel leaks easier. Ive been just using single part epoxy garage floor paint, under 30 bux a gallon and sticks like glue. The factory coated the inspection areas with light grey gel on mine...so I followed that with the paint.....

Plus it hides "less than perfect" glassing :)

I agree. The aspect that I like about having areas within the structure painted (preferably white) is that it makes things much more visible for inspection, etc.

I was going by what their website said:
Bilgekote? is a fast drying, durable coating formulated for application to bilge areas. Bilgekote? helps prevent absorption of oil, gasoline or sludge into wood and fiberglass.
Hard wearing coating for bilges and bulkheads. Chemical resistance to fumes, fuel and oil. High opacity for thorough coverage. Cleans easily for reduced upkeep.
I figured if it would resist oil and gas, it should resist water even better. Oh, it is a 19 ft bass boat so I really don't have any inspection hatches.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The resin used to make the boat passes all the same testing and more, it doesn't really need to be protected. Does the paint stop these products from contacting the resin… sort of, Just like plastic fuel tanks don't leak, but some components in the fuel still migrate through and escape, it's no different with paint, except that paint is a much thinner and poorer barrier. Even the best 2 part paints aren't recommended for continuous use underwater because they frequently fail, yet gel coat and resin can survive for decades under water (yes some boats blister, but that's a small percentage, and we can get into that part if you want)

Water is one of the most difficult substances to protect against, there is nothing that is really water proof, there are only varying degrees of water resistance. Epoxy is far more water resistant than polyester resin or paint, but it needs several layers (10+ mils) to be a very good barrier, paints go on at about 3-5 mils.

What it comes down to on many of these decisions is not the facts, but what makes you sleep well at night. If you feel that paint will help, then paint all the surfaces bellow the deck, it doesn’t cost that much and you will feel like you did a better job. I don’t try convincing people to do things one way or another unless it may cause problems for them in the future. This is one of those things that has no real downside other than the cost and time.

Again I am only talking about areas that are never seen again after the floor goes down, engine compartments, open bilges, storage areas and such, all look much better when they are gel coated or painted.

Last edited:

Ok. Since this is my first boat resto and everyone here has a "boat load"more experience than me, I think I'll take yall's advice and spend my time and money on something else. Thanks for not yelling at me. I'll have to buy you all a beer sometime.

jbcurt00

Staff member

We save the yelling for later :eek:

When you drop this back in the water again :D