Fiberglass book recommendation

rpdwyer

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all.

Can anyone recommend some good books (or video series) explaining in a step by step fashion "How To..." replace stringers and motor mount tabs?

Thanks,
--Rick

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fiberglass book recommendation

Uhhmmm, If you use the Advanced Search Feature of the forum, you'll find some of the BEST Pics, Descriptions and Info on How To do this type of work Anywhere on the WEB or In the World. This IS Boat Repair University!!!! I'm pretty sure there is NO book that has as much information and as good as information as you'll find in the threads on this forum.

These links will get you started...

"Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms"

http://forums.iboats.com/completed-b...on-510077.html

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...pair/hull-extension-progress-pics-234392.html

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I found a book entitled "Fiberglass Boat Repairs Illustrated" on a huge online book retailer (it rhymes with Whamazon). The book had some interesting and useful general information about how fiberglass boats are built and repaired, but to be brutally honest, the information in that book paled in comparison to what you'll find here in the Drydock. If you read the threads provided by Wood, you'll have more than a decent resource to get you started. I think the information here on iboats is really difficult to equal...

Jim

rpdwyer

Seaman Apprentice

Wow... the thread with FriscoBoaters Sea Ray re-glass is fantastic and exactly what I am looking for. Should do quite nicely.
That thread makes what I have to do now look much less daunting. Will definitely rely on that thread and this forum when I undertake my stringer repairs. Will go do to the boat this weekend and determine if the repairs can wait until the end of the next season. If not, I will start in the Spring... otherwise, the Fall after the boat is hauled for the season.

Thanks,

--Rick

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction

This one is helpfull also,I just don't know to forward it without your e-mail. Pm me with it and it'll get sent!