1983 Procraft 1750V Boat Restoration

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got the ladder mounted tonight. In lieu of something better to use, I just used some 5/16" bolts with a lock nut as hinge pins. To keep the ladder from swinging into the boat, I used the railing hardware from the tubing I cut up, held in place with a pop rivet.

Resized_20171210_214216.jpeg

Resized_20171210_214230.jpeg

I've just been crossing little things off my list lately:
-Fixed my horn. Thought it was busted, but took it apart and it started working. (Not sure what I did to make it work but I'll take it)
-New horn button
-Reinstalled the ski locker lid
-A couple of new thru hull fittings and spliced the bilge pump hose

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
I swapped the nut and bolt on the swim ladder for a clevis pin with a bushing and cotter pin.

The next thing I did was fix the walk-through windshield. A few screws were missing and it wound up taking some clamps to get everything back to even be able to replace them. It was just another unexpected PITA, but at least it works now.

I also mounted the driver and passenger seats, so it's starting to look like a functional boat again.

Resized_20171214_155502.jpeg

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
After mounting the seats, I decided to try and start the outboard tonight. I knew it had even compression and spark when I bought the boat, but the old Merc hadn't been started in at least four years at this point.

I pulled the boat out near a hose, hooked up the muffs, and connected a portable gas tank. It was a bear to start for a while, but it finally started!

I still have to install new splashwell drains, but I'm really close to a lake test.

Just seeing the motor running on a mostly restored boat made me a very happy man tonight.

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds like you're getting pretty close to a splash?

Yes sir, I'll change the impeller and gear lube oil and see how the motor does on the water. I expect to be rebuilding the carbs, but I could get lucky.

I still have upholstery to do, keel beaching repair, bilge paint, new casting deck carpet, and somewhere down the road add some electronics. But I can't afford all of that for a while.

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been busy like everyone else with the holidays, but I shot a pic a couple weeks ago with my seats installed.

Resized_20171218_182135.jpeg

I replaced the rotten, carpet-covered boards that protect the hull from hitting the wheel covers (it would take a pretty bad driver to hit it but extra protection never hurts)

Resized_20171218_182244.jpeg

Resized_20171221_195528.jpeg

I also spent a day messing with the throttle only button not working in the control box (Commander style). I think the plastic shaft is bad, but I also think that the design of this box sucks. I plan on swapping this box with the newer style box from my other boat, as the cost of a brand new box is pretty steep.

The only other new thing is that I got a Garmin 4cv Plus fish finder for Christmas. The mapping feature will be awesome for the lakes that I go to, and I can mount my older fish finder to the trolling motor.

chevymaher

Commander
I like the carpets on the wheel wells of the trailer. I need to make a set for mine

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah that style of Merc controls is pretty much junk from what I hear, but actually the older style like I have is made from all metal, no plastic at all and can be had for a good price. I rewired mine, cleaned it out, new grease and added new decals. it works flawlessly and is period correct for the old Merc TOP.

y4mr1vP0aiiAdSNGK2KM9uGojNKIIYwdSBb8L7uVPAlEANh_J70qHBedhh28z7GGFl2IRRNbYdjyVfKyppE3nbEEmdvpemMpAmXATsOPav1edE4PlTUb1cM4cwD33hkm9Qb5-2HT01HJa0eOvEqVP9vg_EYiqr7GsMWTYVYcCOtjS7uwd_nKFp0cjJViLL_RlOj6dzjUu3Ee7NJQMAVc3dAwg
​​​​​​​

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
Watermann, that looks pretty sharp all cleaned up like that. I'm keeping my eye out on Craigslist and Ebay for a good deal on one. I'm gonna swap for the box from my other boat for the moment, sell the Commander on Ebay, and maybe get lucky on a vintage box.

Has anyone tried using artificial turf grass for carpet? The blue carpet I just put on the trailer matches my original carpet exactly and has rubber backing, but is pretty light weight. If anyone has experience on how it holds up, please let me know!

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any opinions on the carpet? It's this stuff: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Traffic..._-rv_mobileweb_rr-_-205435552-_-100482831-_-N

Or if there is a heavier weight of this color, I'd like to find it.

I just got a new job coming out of trade school, so I won't have quite the free time to work on the boat anymore. I've been working a couple hours on the control box every evening. The PO had cut off the tach harness, so I had to solder on a new one along with the trim/tilt wires. Some of the wire colors were different, but the tach seems to work.

I decarbed the motor with Seafoam last night, and plan to mount my fish finders today.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
After reading the specs looks like it will do the job. Have you compared the specs to any marine type carpets?

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
After reading the specs looks like it will do the job. Have you compared the specs to any marine type carpets?

Yeah, this stuff is 10 oz, and the lightest marine carpet I'm finding is 12 or 14 oz. The non-worn original carpet under the hatches looks to be a little heavier weight, but I haven't found any heavier weights for sale.

That said, the original carpet has lasted this long, so I think the new stuff would hold up for many years at least.

I'm also thinking of putting carpet on the fore cushion seats instead of vinyl, so it could double as extra seating and more casting room.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I hear ya. Just hate getting hooks and bait in carpet. Do you guess whats the weight of what you currently have. All said and done it'll work. Not sure about carpet on da butt. :happy:
Vinyl might break up the look better.

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would guess around 16 oz. The fibers are a little more dense and longer on the old stuff.

Not sure about carpet on da butt. :happy:
Vinyl might break up the look better.

Vinyl would definitely look better, but I kinda like the idea of discouraging a ton of people being on board :rolleyes:. A large boat full always makes me nervous, having to account for more people's safety and trying to dock/anchor sucks.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
If you want to limit the amount of occupants then make it the rule they have to buy the fuel. :lol:

chevymaher

Commander
If you want to limit the amount of occupants then make it the rule they have to buy the fuel. :lol:

LOL that is a easy one. If you didn't act like you knew me before i got the boat. See that was easy just immediate family already.

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
LOL. Drinking my beer or asking why I don't beach the boat like everyone else will get ya thrown off!

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got my fish finders and transducers mounted, but some of my switches are acting bad along with needing new trolling motor outlets. So when I get some decent weather, I'll be replacing my corroded wires and switches.