Lexan Windshield project from 2004 update....

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Got a message from Lakelover today asking about the windshield I made for my old MFG boat from Lexan (polycarbonate) . This project is now 10 years old, and the windshield has surpassed my expectations. Really didn't expect it to last more than a few seasons, but here we are 10 years later with a perfectly usable windshield. I got to spend a few hours in the old MFG behind the wheel this past August just buzzing around the Peconic and Sag Harbor bays. So glad I have kept that little boat in the family. Anyway, I thought I should share this update with everyone here.

Mark42 said:
Hi Lakelover,

Its always a pleasure to get messages like this. I have given the MFG to my sister, where she keeps it garaged out on Long Island, NY. I checked the metadata on the photos I have of the windshield project and they show dates of July, 2004. The Lexan never yellowed, although it was always covered by a common heavy duty grey tarp. Washing did eventually cause a very slight cloudy-ness or haze on it that would probably polish off. But the sand and salt eventually did cause that haze. The only real problem that showed up was the areas where the lexan was bent at the outer "corners". Crazing started to show about 3 years ago where the lexan was stressed (left and right bends). Looks like tiny inch long cracks. They never amounted to a structural failure but are there. After bending the lexan into its shape, it should have been heated to remove the stress in those areas.

All in all, the lexan held up well in sun and salt. Even being just 1/8" thick, it was able to take serious pounding on waves that rattled the entire boat and never failed. I would do it again.

I'm going to post this in the forums so others can have the same info.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Regards,

Mark.

lakelover said:
Hi Mark42,

When I was doing my rebuild, I decided not to replace my windshield at that time, even though it was old and damaged. I had bookmarked a link of a windshield you built Windshield Rebuild - Tutorial View . I'm thinking of maybe doing that now.

I know you did that a number of years ago now, I just wanted to ask you how the Lexan has held up pertaining to UV, yellowing, or discoloring etc.? Does it still look good, how long ago was it?

Thanks.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Lexan Windshield project from 2004 update....

Thanks Mark, great to have some DIY windshield info 10yrs in. I too have the shareaproject link bookmarked.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: Lexan Windshield project from 2004 update....

Thanks for the update, Mark.

It would be great to have updates from others too, on how things they're tried have held up over the years.

I've done a couple updates on my Pettit Easypoxy paint job after a couple seasons. They are in the last couple pages of my thread: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/1964-15-starcraft-aluminum-runabout-project-309879.html and at http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/pettit-easypoxy-durability-report-after-season-use-577949.html

Last edited: