My Redneck Bimini Top Just Ordered!

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, boys and girls. Long time no see.

To refresh memories, I have a tiny 8' wood pram, oar-powered because I ain't got no title and there's no VIN on the boat to even attempt to get a title anyway--used in the freshwater Everglades only (for now).

8566144502_bb7f2d469b_b.jpg

All-year boating down here of course (sorry, Michiganers), but the summer heat is a *****, and our summer is March through December. (HAH!) So, I've wanted to jerry-rig SOME sort of canopy protection to use at least when anchored, but since I'm rowing anyway, I can use it during the whole "voyage" if the winds cooperate.

I had a home-built plan in mind, but since I did the plan, I know it was going to stink. (I'm not that brilliant of an engineer.) Fortunately, I FINALLY found something that will work for my purposes, and CHEAP.

It's a quick set-up canopy for a picnic table:

shelterlogic-shadelogic-quick-clamp-canopy-with-tilt-mount-19.jpg

shelterlogic-shadelogic-quick-clamp-canopy-with-tilt-mount-21.jpg

Full link to the site and specs:

ShelterLogic ShadeLogic Quick Clamp Canopy with Tilt-Mount

The fabric is a light tan, regardless of what the photo shows, but the main thing is the mechanics. All I have to do is permanently mount the two base clamps bow and stern, and then just insert the main assembly with fabric cover as needed. (And I can even replace the fabric per needs.)

Plus, she TILTS, so depending on how I'm anchored, my arse is covered. Height is also extremely adjustable.

With my tiny boat, this is going to hopefully provide unparalleled coverage, with tons to spare. Of course, rain situations will drastically affect my mileage, but this is really for sun protection anyway.

I have no idea FOR SURE how this will play out in the end, but for the price and its mechanics, it's worth a shot. I know it's going to look ridiculous, but if it keeps me cool while sucking down the Buds, who cares?

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: My Redneck Bimini Top Just Ordered!

Personally, I think it's GREAT! And in addition, on a windy day you could use it as an additional power source and turn the boat into a sail boat.!!!!!!:lol: We MUST have pics once it's mounted and in use. I bet it will be perfect for you!!!

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

That is true Redneck engineering!!

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the encouragement, guys.

I usually get into trouble when I try to get creative with engineering and construction, but this looked like it would do what I need it to do.

Next step is figuring out the ideal toilet situation, and at 57 now, I do indeed love my toilets.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Use one of these for a boat seat...
389617696_o.jpg

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That won't look redneck at all! It's gonna look cool! It's gonna look Carribean! Redneck would be a blue tarp stretched over a garbage can lid with 4 bungee chords and a 2x4 as a center post...Oh, wait, I'll be right back...

zool

Captain

And wear a kilt, and nobody will be any the wiser. :tongue:

Right, a man rowing a boat in the Everglades, with a picnic table canopy overhead, wearing a kilt, and sitting on a porto-jon wont raise any red flags :D

Last edited:

jc55

Right, a man wearing a rowing a boat in the Everglades, with a picnic table canopy overhead, wearing a kilt, and sitting on a porto-jon wont raise any red flags :D

Aren't we up to 4 reality shows on that now?

GWPSR

Right, a man rowing a boat in the Everglades, with a picnic table canopy overhead, wearing a kilt, and sitting on a porto-jon wont raise any red flags :D

Perhaps a plaid flag?

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

HAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't need a camping toilet, and no need to hide my business. It's not like I'm going to be near anyone when I'm doing my business.

I'm just looking for a comfortable solution that will fit in the boat, considering its v-hull and floor that's not flat.

I just need that toilet seat thingy that clamps onto a 5-gallon paint bucket, except I want to trim the height of the bucket so I can sit it on the boat bench. (Will use those doody bags for sanitation.)

I guess I should check Campmor for that seat, but I'm curious who else may carry it.

Bondo

Staff member

Hi, boys and girls. Long time no see.

To refresh memories, I have a tiny 8' wood pram, oar-powered because I ain't got no title and there's no VIN on the boat to even attempt to get a title anyway--used in the freshwater Everglades only (for now).

shelterlogic-shadelogic-quick-clamp-canopy-with-tilt-mount-19.jpg

I have no idea FOR SURE how this will play out in the end, but for the price and its mechanics, it's worth a shot. I know it's going to look ridiculous, but if it keeps me cool while sucking down the Buds, who cares?

Ayuh,.... That's gonna be atad Top Heavy ain't it,..??

Yer gonna need a sailboat keel to hold it up-right,...

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,.... That's gonna be atad Top Heavy ain't it,..??

Yer gonna need a sailboat keel to hold it up-right,...

That's at full height. I can adjust it much lower, let alone take an angle grinder to it to give it a maximum height that's even shorter.

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. The problem is, I just need the seat--I already have 5-gallon buckets--and as is, they're too tall. Don't want to spend $20 plus for something when all I need is the toilet seat.

This boat is TINY, with a V floor, and for ultimate comfort and portability, I figure I can take one of my buckets like that and cut it down to at least half, probably 1/3rd of original size, so I can use it on the boat bench. (See my photo of boat above.)

Peeing is not a problem. I'm a man and can do that standing up and let the spray go where it may.

Last edited:

GWPSR

If you're going to cut the bucket down, unless you cut the bottom end off, the seat won't attach to the rim anymore. You're better off using a standard seat and a pair of angle brackets to mount the hinges to.

Make note, today is the official day when iBoats went into the s_itter... :)

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks. The problem is, I just need the seat--I already have 5-gallon buckets--and as is, they're too tall. Don't want to spend $20 plus for something when all I need is the toilet seat.

This boat is TINY, with a V floor, and for ultimate comfort and portability, I figure I can take one of my buckets like that and cut it down to at least half, probably 1/3rd of original size, so I can use it on the boat bench. (See my photo of boat above.)

Peeing is not a problem. I'm a man and can do that standing up and let the spray go where it may.

Ayuh,..... A sharp eye on the local Dumpsters oughta turn up a toliet seat for the takin',......

My Favorite places to mine for Gold,.... ;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yup, any old Toilet Seat from Wal-Mart and some RedNeck Fabrication should get you fixed up in a Hurry!