"my 77 islander resto"

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: "my 77 islander resto"

Hey guys, Scored a sweet kicker for the islander today. I bought it from a friends Grandfather. He won it in a Elks Club raffle in 1989. He's not a boater or a fisherman so he used it on a camping trip once and put it in the basement. He said it has about 2 hours on it!!
I'm going to put an impeller in it and try to fire it up. It's a 8HP evinrude twin cylinder. The thing looks brand new under the cover, just need to clean off 25 years of basement dust.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That what you call a SCORE! And no rodents - Too clean. :joyous:

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea GA, No rodents and I wont have to vacuum little pieces of white foam for 2 hours!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Looking good on the tear down OI, doesn't even look like the bottom got greasy from the motor. :thumb:

Nice little rude you got there, being clean is always a huge plus.

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea waterman, it was a lot cleaner underneath then I expected. I'm going to give it a good power wash with some degreaser and apply the gluvit. I hope to be re decking it in a few weekends here. Then I'm going to invite Jas over for Cigars and battery location discussion.

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Jas, bring those saaaweeeet gauges with you. You might leave here with a saaaaweeeet kicker.....

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Starmada guys,
I just got all my rivets in the mail today for my restoration. I ordered 3/16" X 3/4" to put the deck down and 3/16" X 1/4" closed end blind rivets to put in the 40 or so holes in the bottom of the transom where about ten different transducers have been mounted over the years. These things are a lot beefier then I realized. I'm guessing the 20 year old $10 pop rivet hand tool I have is not going to last long with them. What kind of rivet tools have you guys been using?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I have this one... Works great and I can't imagine life without it now. Check around for a discount coupon, I got 20 bucks off of mine when I got it.

1/4" Air Hydraulic Riveter

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks waterman. I had been looking at that one and one northern tools carries for the last few days. I think their the same one actually. I think Jas has the harbor freight one also. If you guys have had good luck with them I feel better about ordering one for myself.
I just cant see trying to hand do a few hundred rivets if I can get that for $40. Nuff pondering here.....ordering one today.

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the next 4 days off to put in the flotation foam and cut and epoxy the new decking. Weather forecast....... Rain, up to 3/4 of an inch...temps in the high 30's to low 40's..... and no heated place to work....Oh Yea....:facepalm: I allways plan my vacation time like that:mad:

Last edited:

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys,
Been awhile since I posted. The restoration is still going.....slowly.... I got the gluvit done a few weeks ago and most of the new flotation foam in. I have pics but the site is not letting me post them for some reason. This new site format is sure taking a long time to be de bugged. I have floors cut and epoxyed, 1 piece installed. US composites screwed up my order and sent me the slow hardener. Boy, their not kidding 24 to 48 hours dry time on my flooring. Realy kills a weekends progress waiting for the stuff to dry. I'll get pics up when the site allows. Enjoy the summer my starcraft brothers!!

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well guys, got some work done on the barge project. Flooring is cut and started to install. Thanks waterman for the info on the rivet gun. It works like a charm.

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
While I was waiting for epoxy to dry on the flooring I tore this rotted piece of wood out. Then used it as my pattern to make this guy While that was drying, I am thinking about what I'm going to do with this I'm thinking rebuild it in my family room over winter. I did that a few years back with a Chevell motor. Worked out well once the wife got over it...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You should let epoxy dry more often, OI. You made plenty of progress! :D. I guess a motor rebuild in the family room is better than on the kitchen table? :eek: :lol:

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
Funny you should mention kitchen table GA. When I was in my 20's a friend of mine was a Yamaha mechanic. We pulled my Yamaha 350 into his kitchen and did a ring job on his kitchen table. We told his girlfriend at the time it was ok....we put news paper down first. I guess once a red neck...allways a red neck.