96 Chris Craft Concept 18 Clean Up

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 96 Chris Craft Concept 18 Clean Up

Got a delivery today so figured I'd update my handy work on the sunpad or lack thereof lol...

Just waiting on a belt and spindle holder for the ol' Morse and I'll be ready to cut and sew..

Here's a couple pics of the sun pad wood all prepped and ready for the foam and vinyl.

latch block

Hinge block

I'm re-using the foam - it's pretty stained but seems to be in one piece and not falling apart so hoping it'll be ok.

Last edited:

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I ended up building a base for the ol' Morse (since it didn't come with one) turned out pretty nice actually I think...

Happy Weekend! :clap2:

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Finished the sunpad today so wanted to update and show off my first attempt at re-upholstering...

The center cut out section was way more difficult than I thought. Had to redo it twice becuase the fabric didn't lay right. Ended up sewing a strip in so it would fold over and lay right around the curves....

Finished top side. The cut out part is held in with velcro... Fits pretty snug...

Used a vinyl mesh material on the back side and trimmed it with welting just like the original was...

New hinge hardware and struts installed...

All in all pretty happy with the results.... Now just waiting to mount it in the boat :happy:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I loved using my Morse. It was identical you that one!!! Nice job!!!!

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Wood! Yeah the Morse has definitely turned out to be quite the machine for this type of work. Love it!!

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Wow...looks pretty good! According to my new found literature, Chris Craft used a 65ml vinyl (whatever that means?). It's pretty robust stuff...A heat gun might have gotten you there w/o the box seam?

I'm uploading the brochure to a file sharing website. I'll forward the link as soon as I have it done...

~Brett

EDIT: BTW, I used the same time of scrim material for the underside of my cushions too!

Last edited:

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow...looks pretty good! According to my new found literature, Chris Craft used a 65ml vinyl (whatever that means?). It's pretty robust stuff...A heat gun might have gotten you there w/o the box seam?

I'm uploading the brochure to a file sharing website. I'll forward the link as soon as I have it done...

~Brett

EDIT: BTW, I used the same time of scrim material for the underside of my cushions too!

The box seam was necessary because my first attempt, the vinyl wouldn't lay flat around the curves so without thinking it through I sliced the vinyl up at the curves and then realized the cuts would be visible. The only option I had, aside from redoing the whole thing was to sew in the additional strip.

I'm planning on insulating the underside with a foil faced engine compartment type insulation once I get it installed.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey all, wanted to update my thread with the latest n greatest. While in the process of sorting through my motor issues, I took the time to rebuild the anchor hatch. It was rotted and needed reworking. I pulled it off and dug out all the old wood. Grinder the inside of the skin, cut out and formed some marine grade ply and covered that with resin and csm. Now that the weather is warmer outside I took the opportunity to glue it in. Here's some pics....

Skin

Inside the skin after grinding and cleaning it up.

i cut out the latch hole larger and will fill that solid with PB so there won't be any exposed wood

All glued in. Kicked off and hardened well. Now will sand it down to make it flush and smooth and want to coat with some paint but not sure which. Any suggestions?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Wrap in some of the 3M wrap? Like carbon fiber of something? If it were me, I'd get some gel coat and coat it? I need to reinforce my hinge side...maybe later this summer? It works fine, just a little loose!

Strong work on all the mods!

~Brett

HPD321

Cadet
Nice work! I'm going through a similar project with my 95 Concept 18. The anchor hatch is on my list and your pics will help quite a bit. Any chance you know of a place where I can find an owner's manual for my boat??? I've posted on iBoats and other sites looking for any version of a copy (print or digital) but haven't come up with anything to date. Thanks in advance... Joe

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey HPD321,
Thanks for dropping in. There really isn't an owners manual per se for the boat. When I first got mine, I contacted Chris craft and they were kind enough to email me a bunch of info (brochures, spec sheet, etc.) whcih I can email to you if you like (pm me your email if you want). Otherwise, the only other manuals I'm using extensively are those dealing specifically with my motor and outdrive and those can be found, downloaded and/or viewed on-line for free, or you can find hard copies on ebay for relatively cheap which is what I did, cause I like having the book in front of me. If you but they manuals, make sure you stick with the OEM shop manuals as the clymers ones barely make good paper weights.
Good luck!

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Splashed!! Awesome day at the lake. She ran great all day aside from the motor not warming up to the temp I thought it would she purred. After months of cleanup and repair she's done for now. Time to enjoy. Hope everyone's enjoying the weekend! Cheers.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey hey... Been a while :). Figured I'd post and keep this thread updated. Moved to a much more suitable location :) non motorized lake across the street and largest man made lake in the state 15 min drive :). Now that the interior is pretty much done, got the LED lights all set up...

It's on to tackling the gel coat oxidation and pin striping. Started removing the pin stripes with an eraser wheel and it's working pretty good. Plan on using 3m line of compounds, polish and waxes. Got the imperial compound and finish system so will try and see if that's effective enough to bring the shine back or if I need to wet sand. I know your supposed to start with the least abrasive but most effective just not sure where to start? If I'm gonna wet sand, do I start at 800, 1000,1500?? How to tell. I have some scratched , nothing really deep and lots of oxidation. Any tips on determining where to start or other advice? TIA

Last edited:

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice work brother, I'm going through the same sort of work on mine. Not only were my stringers shot, but ALL the interior was rotten.

I opted to build my own captain chairs.

I purchased an old white sewing machine for all new foam and vinyl work. My only issue is every once in a while my tensioner sometimes won't pull my seams tight enough and I will get a few loops sticking up here and there. :/ I think I just need more practice or spray some lube on the needle once in a while.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Did a test section today.
Here's before

Wet sanded 600,800,1000,1500 then 3m imperial compound and finishing, Finesse it polish, paste wax

Extremely tedious but Very happy with the results:)