96 Chris Craft Concept 18 Clean Up

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey all,
So I've been cleaning up and prepping for the spring as much as I can on the new boat and figured I'd start a thread on all the happenings. Boat's all covered up and put away so not much to do on her till it warms up some but I've removed most of the vinyl for cleanup in the basement. I started on the interior cleanup before I tarped and so far very pleased with the condition of this boat. Definitely was kept covered - the vinyl has not a crack on it, just a bunch of mildew though, probably from poor ventilation. Everything is solid though as well. Motor mounts, transom all are nice and dry, light colored wood.

I've also started on the sun pad rebuild and have the interior cut out portion complete...
Here's the finished product

Much of the interior pieces are not wood which is FANTASTIC! All combing pads, and hinged seats are non-wood, starboard material or similar. The only wood was in the Sunpad and the large rear bench seat.

Just have to get me some marine grade ply and finish up the main section which I'll have to wait until better weather for as room to work with large sheets of ply indoors are an issue for me.
Here's a pic of the old vinyl being used as a template on the new...

So, all the other vinyl cleaned up fairly well, just some leftover mildew dark spots that I don't think will ever come out. I used the 3M mildew remover and it worked great; however, unfortunately I think this mildew is burned into the vinyl and won't come out no matter what is used.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 96 Chris Craft Concept 18 Clean Up

So I'm on to cleaning up the captains chairs and the first cleaned up well as well as the sliding base. The second one has some issues. I noticed that this one doesn't slide back and forth so upon further investigation, looks like the PO broke the mounts in the plastic and rigged it up some so it'll hold. They installed additional anchors into the plastic seat underside and used screws to secure the mount. The screws then get in the way of the slide; this is why it wouldn't slide back and forth.

I removed the mount and found this....

I guess I could put it back together the way it was and it'll hold I'm sure but I'm not feelin that! I'd like to have a more permanent solution to this and get the sliding feature to work again. Would love some suggestions on what to do here...
I was thinking I'd find some sort of wing type anchor, cut a piece of marine ply and anchor the ply to the plastic seat underside in several locations then attach the mount to the wood? Not sure this'll do the trick though. Any suggestions would be most appreciated as always.

:)

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Find a plastic cutting board 1/4" or so thick large enough to cover the area around the mounts, using stainless steel screws attach to seat bottom (if you can get into the aluminum bracing under the plastic, all the better), use 't-nuts' where the original inserts were and reattach sliding base? Just an idea, probably wrong?

That all looks eerily familiar! While all my seats mounts/sliders/swivels are in good shape, it's the vinyl and wood that's gross... good thing my vinyl comes tomorrow afternoon...prepare to be underwhelmed!

~Brett

Last edited:

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cutting boards a great idea - didn't think of that! good substitute to using wood. thanks man! Sent you a PM btw...

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Brett!

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Update... Had some more time to work on the seat. Picked up a cheap cutting board, some nifty toggle/anchor bolts and two part epoxy. Cut out a couple small pieces of the cutting board and glued them inside each of the holes to close up the holes some. My plan is to drill holes into these big enough for the toggles to fit and then tighten down on them so they have a good area to clasp against on the inside of the seat.

Then cut out some larger pieces of cutting board to use as bases and glued them in.

Installed the toggle bolts and letting it sit to dry.

Hoping this'll work, thinking it will as these toggle/anchors should clasp the underside and pinch the whole thing together as I tighten the four screws on the base. Planning to mount the base in 24 hours after it's fully cured.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Nice repair!

Interior is lookin great!

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Bear! It's comin along... :)

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

That idea is genius!!! Looks good further..I'm still plugging away at mine...I think you'll like the over all concept/layout of my new interior. It's a TON of work just pulling staples! My hands are bloody stumps!

Cheers

~Brett

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Brett! Lol thanks for the cutting board idea!! Can't wait to see your progress... Update update update! Want to see what you've done with that new sewing rig of yours. Are you re-configuring the layout? Pulling staples sucks! lol I know how you feel. Wear some good gloves my friend! ;)

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Thanks Brett! Lol thanks for the cutting board idea!! Can't wait to see your progress... Update update update! Want to see what you've done with that new sewing rig of yours. Are you re-configuring the layout? Pulling staples sucks! lol I know how you feel. Wear some good gloves my friend! ;)

Well...go to the thread (of course I don't have it readily available!). I got the side panels (upper and lower), front cooler cover, bow seats, rear bench, arm rests and sunpad installed...I had to stopped late yesterday cause of the snow, couldn't finish the install also because of the snow today. With any luck, tomorrow.

I had to order 3 more yards of vinyl from veada.com as I didn't order quite enough. I tried to source locally, but no one had the exact color...close, but not quite!! All I have left is helm seats and a few details (shifter adjustment, some carpet gluing, stereo/speakers, bilge vent hose...then she's ready!

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks awesome Brett. Just checked out your thread. Gonna catch up w the rest of it.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Guess its a good time for an update... Thanks Brett for the motivation. Finished up the seat repair and got all the interior pieces now cleaned/treated and all is ready to be put back in the boat; once it warms up some and I can finish cleaning the inside of the boat :)

Cutting board and anchors worked great. Feels super solid... Its as permanent as its gonna get I think.

So onto the rest of the cleanup.. Next is rebuilding the anchor hatch cover and finish up on the sunpad but that stuff requires more room than I have indoors and/or painting/glassing that'll have to wait till warm weather since New York has turned into the frozen tundra!

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wanted to share what I acquired over the last week. Had to return my friends sewing machine so found this for $20 on craigslist. Good quality but not so good condition. Figured I'd give it a whirl and see about bringing it back to life.... Pretty heavy duty all steel construction.

It looks to be circa 1950-60's I think. Need to replace the tension disk assembly. Found one on ebay but not for this exact model. Ordered and hoping it'll fit. Otherwise, just needs a new belt and some oil. She runs pretty good actually.

Hopefully will get this working well enough to sew the new cockpit and bow covers that I'll be making that Bajaunderground was so amazingly kind enough to send me templates for!!

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Wanted to share what I acquired over the last week. Had to return my friends sewing machine so found this for $20 on craigslist. Good quality but not so good condition. Figured I'd give it a whirl and see about bringing it back to life.... Pretty heavy duty all steel construction.

It looks to be circa 1950-60's I think. Need to replace the tension disk assembly. Found one on ebay but not for this exact model. Ordered and hoping it'll fit. Otherwise, just needs a new belt and some oil. She runs pretty good actually.

Hopefully will get this working well enough to sew the new cockpit and bow covers that I'll be making that Bajaunderground was so amazingly kind enough to send me templates for!!

Wow, the jetson's called, they want their sewing machine back...nice find!

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

SHE LIVES!!! Tension adjustment assembly came a day early. Actually fit and sews pretty damn good for a relic. Got some cleanup and adjusting to do but all in all I think she's gonna do well with the Sunbrella

The assembly was for a Morse 4200 but fit pretty well.

Half felled seam

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

SHE LIVES!!! Tension adjustment assembly came a day early. Actually fit and sews pretty damn good for a relic. Got some cleanup and adjusting to do but all in all I think she's gonna do well with the Sunbrella

The assembly was for a Morse 4200 but fit pretty well.

Half felled seam

In the words of Chris Farley on SNL (as the guy who lives in a "van down-by-the-river)..."Well la-tee-fricken'-da!"

Nice seam work there Further! Might I recommend the weathermax 80 in lieu of Sunbrella? check out the sample I sent you! The Sunbrella requires a hot knife to cut!

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Dood, clear your inbox!!!

bajaunderground said:
Lookin' Good Dood!

No worries on the templates, as I stated, you might have a few questions on what I did, I'm happy to answer! There was no need to send a care package...but I appreciate it!

Do you have any of the poly plastic left? Maybe use that as backer on there? Use an epoxy glue? I'd ask on the forums if that would be a good idea? I have no idea. My wood backer was in decent shape and the screws we able to grab fine?

I tell you what, sewing your own chit is pretty gratifying!!!

As a side note, I took my helm seats to a local boat interior guy...he was actually impressed that I tackled and did as good a job as I did on the one! He quoted me $180 to re-fit the helm I sewed and to recover the other...I hate to admit defeat, but these seats are very, very tough! I was planning on ordering some new ones from veada.com with flip-up bolsters, but now I'll just be happy with these!

Keep me posted!

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ughhh carp!! my inbox got away from me lol. Emptied out now. Thanks for that and again thanks for the package of stuff.

Ive vey already got the wood pieces cut out, just have to shape em, sand and coat with stain and spar and they'll be good to go. Don't have a lot of the plastic left at least not enough to make these backers with and have plenty of the marine grade ply leftover so think ill stick with that.

$180 is pretty damn good price I think to do the seats. I'm sure they'll look great when done although I think they looked pretty damn good before and yes I can't imagine doin those seats!