1972 Larson Project Start

mandvwagner

Seaman
I got this boat last fall and I am getting ready to fix the interior, as it doesn't have any. I am thinking back-to-back seats. Does anyone have any suggestions on cheap seats? I am in the the Kansas City, MO areaQueen Mary 014.jpgQueen Mary 013.jpgQueen Mary 012.jpgQueen Mary 011.jpgQueen Mary 016.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Larson Project Start

Have you ensured that the Transom and stringers in her are all good to go? Boats of this vintage typically have issues with these. As far as the interior goes, a lot of the guys on the forum, including me, have done their own upholstery work. Do a search and use upholstery as the key word. You'll find plenty of examples. Here's a couple...

"Building and Upholstering a Bench Seat"

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/another-one-upholstery-546429.html

On this one start on the linked page and then read A LOT!!!!
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...g-rebuild-getting-started-pics-523969-44.html

None of us had ever don ANY upholstery work before we started. We all did "Fair to Middlin" with our results. Well I did, the others kinda put me to Shame!!!!

Last edited:

mandvwagner

Seaman

Yes the previous owner had gotten to the point of adding the interior and then gave up. Luckily I just have to do from the carpet up.

mandvwagner

Seaman

Ok, weather is warming up and I am about ready to tackle this project. So my first step before I work on the carpet is getting the blue back to normal. What do you recommend I use to restore the color since it is very fadded.

mandvwagner

Seaman
Hey all I am finally back at it. I got some work done on the wiring. I have a question on that, it had a glass fuse block that I am changing to the ATC style fuses but I don't know what AMP each fuse should be, does anyone know where I could find that?

Second question, there is a spot under the drivers side and passengers side where it looks like they leveled the floor with some foam, what can I use to patch over this area, I will glass over it once complete.

http://s100.photobucket.com/user/mattwag35/media/FloorPic1_zps8f2a47b9.gif.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s100.photobucket.com/user/mattwag35/media/FloorPic2_zpsf214af12.gif.html?sort=3&o=0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Your pix didn't attach, or you've moved them to a new folder/changed their file name, because your links lead to DOA pix.

I'm guessing 1 of your pix shows the floor leveling foam. Sounds odd, but pix will help.

Just like your car & house, the amp for the fuse should be based on the load needed for whatever's attached to each fuse.

The fuse block I bought came w/ instructions, and labels, so it should be nearly plug & play when I get to wiring.

mandvwagner

Seaman
No the fuse block didn't come with any instructions of course:) I will have to figure that part out. Let try the picture links again.

Last edited:

avpaulb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Second question, there is a spot under the drivers side and passengers side where it looks like they leveled the floor with some foam, what can I use to patch over this area, I will glass over it once complete.

I had a similar vintage Larson with that same foam. I believe it was Larson's answer to flotation foam back then. If you inspect further you will probably see that that foam layer also runs up and down the sides of the boat as well. It is covered by a thin layer of blown-in glass.

I ultimately ground out all of this material, as it was rotted. Attempting to replace will be an engineering feat!

mandvwagner

Seaman
I did notice it goes up the side of the boat, I am thinking of just filling it in with some sort of wood filler or Auto Filler to re-level the floor and glassing over that.

mandvwagner

Seaman
Hey guys. Finally got some stuff done. I finished the glass on the floor and I have cut out the wood and foam for the front seats. I am hoping to get the carpet in this weekend and maybe get the front seats made. I will post some pics once I get the carpet in.

mandvwagner

Seaman
Well I finally got the carpet Installed. Here are before and after pictures. I do have one problem. The capret stuck to the fiberglass at one point and it made a hole in my new carpet....ARGG. What's my best way of patching this. Ofcourse it's in the main ilse between where the seats will be.

Before:

After:

The hole:

mandvwagner

Seaman
Made a little more progress this weekend, got the front bow seats made. I think they turned out ok. I am hoping to work on some of the wiring tonight.

Got the wife to help fold the corners

One of the Finished Seats

Installed

I am getting closer, I would love to work on it this coming weekend but I have to go to a family reunion:grumpy:

mandvwagner

Seaman
Well I got a little more of the interior worked on. I made the side panels, now I just have to get them put in. My seats also arrived on Friday so I am getting close, I would love to splash her once this year but I am starting not think it's going to happen.

Making the cuts.

Side Panel Finished

mandvwagner

Seaman
Well I made some more progress on the boat, I may still get her off the trailer and in the water this year:)

Side Panels Installed:

Seats Set in but no secured yet:

I just have to seal a few spots, put the rub rail back on and then make sure I have all the electrical is correct. Then hope the motor starts.

So here is my question. The instructions with the seats don't say what to secure the seats to the boat with. What do most people use to secure their seats to the boat?

UConnMRB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
not sure about mounting the seats (maybe L brackets mounted on the inside of the seat bases?) , but I just wanted to say that it your vinyl and carpet work look good.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'd wrap some 2x2's in CSM and use PB to glue them to the deck inside the footprint then run some SS screws in from the outside with the pretty washers (forget what they are called). That way no extra penetrations into the deck.

mandvwagner

Seaman
Thanks UConn.

Rickmerrill. I wasn't sure if I could just screw straight threw the plastic braces across the bottom of the seat base into the deck or if I needs to add some bracing.