Getting Ready to Paint... Primer Question Round 86

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Afternoon all... I am getting eager and to the point of getting ready to paint my '52 Alumacraft 16'.
I know we can go round and round on this, but I will ask anyway...

I am going to do one side at a time, starting with the bottom.

I have 3 cans of the Moeller ZC alum primer.
Going to do a light sanding, wash with some alum cleaner I have, then hit it with the ZC primer.

I would like to follow up with 2 coats of a base primer, possibly a Rustoleum primer for alum and glavanized metals... most likely a grey or white...

How many quarts do you think it will take to get two nice coats on bottom?

Also, keeping budget in mind, which is very limited, do you think the Rusto will be sufficient?

I plan on following up with two coats of regular Rusto paint for color...

Thx

boat1.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Getting Ready to Paint... Primer Question Round 86

Just a light dusting of the ZC is all that's required. You should still be able to see the boat under the ZC. Then I'd use this for a primer

primer.jpg

and put on 2 coats lightly sanding with 220 grit between coats and wipedown with Mineral spirits.

Then I'd use Rusoleum Pro Oil based with Acrylic Enamel Hardener as a finish coat.

It's all here in my link..."Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks...Well Almost"

I talk about the Majic Paint from Tractor Supply but Rustoleum is the exact same type of paint and will work the same. Same formula and ratios.

Last edited:

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Getting Ready to Paint... Primer Question Round 86

If you put an image in there, it doesn't seem to be displaying properly. However, I think I got what you are saying there.

Thank you once again.

Last edited: