Carver 2357 Montego rebuild

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
uncovered some nice wiring today replaing the masthead/anchor light

20140719_124720.jpg

this is one that will only show front when on nav, and both on anchor. The old one was an all around and made night driving 'interesting' Some challenges with the the anchor part or it as I only have two wires to the panel under the new headliner (i've got a redneck solution) and in the process of hooking up I have disconnected the stern light - but I'll get that tomorrow.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
realized I had never checked/changed the plugs since I got it so I did that today. Two of them on the starboard side were in only hand tight. Could that cause any performance issues?

20140719_124848.jpg

also cleaned off the air cleaner. Damit that was nasty - two cans of gummout before it came clean. I've been stalling at low speed after the block gets completely warm - hoping these two things will help that issue.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
and finally slapped some 4200 around the new back windows. Since it rained like a wet dog last night we got a good test of my work.

It worked.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
have had a slow rise overheat problem this summer so I took out the thermostat to see if a water flow issue. Ran great all fall/spring but after about 15-20 miles in 80+ degree water it starts pushing 200 so I always back it down and go hull speed for a bit. Given the age of the boat and the undetermined maintenance previously completed I'm 98.3% sure it is clogged risers. This should get me thru the summer (if it works) so I can do those this winter.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
spent a few hours working on the old girl (not my wife) and besides me being not great with electrical the PO(s) has really jacked things up. The anchor light at the rear (put on a new masthead at the windshield as well) was hacked into the stern light. Nothing but twisted together, not even tape.

So I have figured out some more of the hacked wiring to the switch so that the front masthead light only is on when nav light are on, but since it has an all around as well I and I only have two lines (three needed) running under my new headliner I added a very small chrome toggle switch at the windshield to flip that on if we're just sitting out for a short time - that would have my left and right (red/green) nav lights on, masthead all around anchor and stern light. I'm going to run two new lines (one each) for the new 60" rear anchor light I ordered and one for the also newly ordered stern light - the old was chewed on by the mice that apparently lived in it before I got it. I'm prewired and ready once supplies get here form iboats. So ready to get rid of all that brown zipwire that has been used on there.

While I'm there also going to run a dedicated wires for the bow light and the tabs - they suck a lot of juice and I think I'm tapping out my bus bars? Put a new one in the back for those two items?

rj

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
to continue....

I'm fairly handy and did most of the work on the beast, but a new transom is too much work for me due to time and skills so....

Had the engine pulled (and am having installed a remote oil change system) and it is at the glassers now. I've asked him for lots of pics. Here is there FB page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Genesis-Fiberglass-Concepts-LLC/109544485802146?fref=ts

they come well recommended by my boat mechanic and the pics look pretty good on the FB page (of course) so keeping my fingers crossed. Heck the Mayor even likes their FB page...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
oh and forgot to post this from their FB page - this is what convinced me to use them, based on what i've learned here.

The Top cap has been removed from this boat, if a company tells you they can replace or repair your Transom, floor and stringers without removing the cap of the boat as in this photo they are not repairing your boat they are just taking your money

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
The Carver had a tough year last summer. New transom then back to the shop several times to chase down leaks from when the motor was pulled. So it sat outside about have the season waiting to be worked on and waiting on me to go pick up.

the cabin door have a fold up cover and my refiniahing job went to crap. I used Minwax Helmsman, about a dozen coats and now it looks like this

Two questions
What did i do wrong when i refinished
What do i need to do differently this time

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
realized I had never checked/changed the plugs since I got it so I did that today. Two of them on the starboard side were in only hand tight. Could that cause any performance issues?

20140719_124848.jpg

also cleaned off the air cleaner. Damit that was nasty - two cans of gummout before it came clean. I've been stalling at low speed after the block gets completely warm - hoping these two things will help that issue.
The low speed stalling got worse. A carb rebuild fixed that issue. Runs great now.