Carver 2357 Montego rebuild

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
new here, belong to lots of other boat forums. I signed up here a few years ago but just started visiting. Can't believe I watied this long; great forum for all kinds of boats.

I've got another thread on my main forum (forumlychallengedboaters.com) but II'll do some c/p to put on here.

there will be some references to people unknown to you all just stay with me.

here's how the story started April 2012, at the time we owned two other boats a go fast and a34 Express Curiser by Bayliner aka Bayhole:

abandoned for slip rent money 3 years ago. owned by lesbians so that sealed the deal. Pulled out of the water three years ago, winterized and cleaned up (needs it again dusty as hell).

We tried a little 22 SeaHole cuddy before the BayHole but just wasn't enough. This is a really good compromise between a cruiser and something trailerable.

I see a visit to the swiftys this fall. I'll call it a business trip to Tallahassee and get paid mileage, then only 4 more hours south...

oh yeah and i only paid $1000 for it.

$800 for the trailer have a buddy in knoxville going to pick it up (not randy he would break something on the right side) and fix bunks and do new bearings.

Then not sure what we will do on the lower unit. more to come on that one.

image001_zps4991ada8.png

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carver 2357 Montego

hanged the thread title. We've always called the mid life crisis boat the 'little boat' and we are calling this one the 'medium boat' so can't fight destiny...

heres the trailer.

7000 lbs
aluminum
new bearings
new bunks/carpet
new bow roller/stop
new winch

tires are decent, my guy plugged a hole otherwise pretty good. might get a set of 4 just to be safe. 205/70/R14.

2012-05-24_07-26-19_677.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

I'm condensing the thread so may not all make too much sense, but that's par for the course for me....

k. The *** end clearance should be fine. We doubled the bunk wood plus they area tall as they can go - the goal was to have 8" clearance so the 6" forks could just set on the trailer without having to put into the water and tow to a ramp (none at our marina). We have just over 8"

The bolts all look OK no rust evident but we'll see.

Yes i am he front ties down will have to be adjusted - it was hauling a 21' grady and this is a 23' plus i like my roller to be a bit lower that an even line with the eye to the winch if that makes sense.

I almost always had no issue with the lengthwise alignment, more the tilt aspect but then again the bunks on that were not very good. This one is much better.

oh and i'll be wanting to add brakes someday. Electric?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

wd 40 on the rusty bolts.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Bunk glides - the only way to go.

New Boat Trailer Carpet Bunk Plastic Slide Rail Glides | eBay

Without them, I'd never be able to launch and retrieve my 3,000# boat single handed. Just make sure you keep the safety chain or winch strap on the bow eye until you are in the water. A panic stop while backing down the ramp and the boat will self launch onto the ramp if you don't.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

too late mello. cut off wheel and new bolts.

has two batteries, replaced one and put the perko just on that one. Lower unit tilted right up and turned the engine over no problem. so positives thus far.

that monkey fur (really long) must go - it was cool in the dark of the dry storage but in the daylight no way too nasty and falling off.

anybody know how to glue new monkey fur up?

the 'toilet' is a old *** porta potty thing that looks to have been somehow rigged up with a macerater to dump directly overboard.

first weeks are going to be stripping out completely to the bones. gotta see where to start.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

and were home. one hub slightly warm over 93 miles. 12.8 mpg running 65-70 mph at 16-1700 or so except up the 'mountain' (5% grade for 6 miles) running about 2200 then.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

well in the light of day that baby is gonna need some cosmetic work inside. lower unit will be needed but mught just see how long this acid washed pitted nasty **** log will last.

oh, and no drain plug. Has a seacock (i said ****) with a plug in front of the motor but thats it.

new battery and trim worked like a champ and it turned over nicely. Old oil in leg (smelled bad) engine oil needs changed and was about a quart low.

has power steering too.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

boat weighs in at 4k dry per al gore's interweb

when i pulled my 8000 lb BayHole from Missouri to TN i got 10.1 overall.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

i think i forgot to tell you ; the boat has a transducer thru the hull. About a 4' hole sticking down about 3". Kinda like fitz was going to do on the mid life crisis boat.

Going to have it removed and the hole patched.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

so took (most) of the monkey fur out. Gonna be a b**** to replace.

or

I can re-route all the exposed wires and just paint it? What say the group? What paint type and of course o would hit it with a sander to get the rough off. Anything to 'fill' the pits or just a thick paint?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

80-100 grit paper---sand until all but the worst areas are smooth.

Fill with Bondo.

Sand again with 100-120 grit

Paint with All Grip.

I have not personally done this but I read about it from someone who did.----This is what he did. He said it turned out nice.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

some of these posts are form other people. Just pretend I'm talking to myself....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, in thin layers.
Trust me Joe, YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS.

So, when you do this, you are going to want a sander with good dust collection because the combination of
Bondo dust and fiberglass dust filtering down on your sweaty bald head ain't gonna be fun!!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

not really looking for a baby *** smooth, indoor perfect finish i really don't mind seeing the pattern of the glass or the few bumps/ridges just paint it up to make it a bit nicer. My sanding thought was just to knock off any sharp peices sticking out

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Yup rip it down and glue something else back up!!!!!

Listen to Thom :-*

Big *** s****y Job :-/

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

mostly ripped down already. The head walls were put up after the liner put up and so on the roof and the sides will be a lot of custom cutting which is what i was trying to avoid as well as the work around the window. Also just want something to be easy to keep clean and not hold mold/dirt/fly**** etc.

I do have to rip out the portapotti-converted-to-a-directly-overboard-flushing-unit so those walls may come down anyway if i really get into that project.

BOC had some people putting up carpet, one did paint like i was thinking, and lots of fur haters.

what about spraying on the bedliner to seal all the old glue that wont scrape off and to seal any small pin holes i don't find then spray on glue and new fur?