Project Lake Monster - 1978 Ranger 178V

Halfrican

Cadet
Hello! I'm new to this forum and boating in general, and hope to share a bit of my (admittedly limited) experience, and maybe gain some knowledge from those with more experience in the process!
(P.S. Please bear with me on some of my boating terms, I'm not yet familiar with all of the terms and names for parts and pieces, but hope to remedy that situation in the near future...)

A little about myself- I am a 26 year old native Kansan who lives in Edgerton, Kansas.
I have a wife and 6 year old son, and have been an avid fisherman/ outdoors man since I was about his age, and hope to instill as strong a love of the natural world in him. My usual water is the Hillsdale Reservoir, although I spent a year living 200 yards from Table Rock Lake in Missouri, and still visit family there from time to time. I spent 8 years in the Army reserves as a 63B (Wheeled vehicle mechanic), and served 1 tour in Iraq.

Now, on to the interesting stuff!

I recently acquired a 1978 Ranger 178V, with a 1978 115 hp Johnson outboard, a 1993 Motorguide Magnum trolling motor, and trailer.
I lucked upon the vessel when my employer bought it from a family member, and decided he didn't want to take on the project, and he would rather have the money back that he invested. So, after a bit of discussion, and him allowing me to make payments in the amount of $50 weekly, and an agreement on my part that I remove the boat from his property, it was mine for what I believe to be a too good to pass up $600... (This is still to be determined...)
In addition to the boat, trailer, and trolling motor, the deal also included registration until 2015, a fish finder with an extra head unit, bow and stern lights, new trailer straps, about 6 qts of two stroke oil, various rope, three different anchors, an assortment of water plugs, and various other odds and ends

Now, I was aware of some of the problems with the boat, the major ones being that the engine didn't pump water, and the trailer was in rough shape, and set about taking my prize back to my home. That very night, I discovered the reason the water pump wouldn't deliver water to the engine, and repaired it. ( It turned out to be the waterline from the top of the water pump to the engine block was bent and in no way connected to the top of the pump, due to an attempted replacement of the pump impeller.) My fix was to straighten the tube as well as I could, and connect it to the top of the pump housing with a piece of silicone heater hose I had lying around...

With that problem solved, I planned to take the boat to the lake the following morning and give it a test run.

Bright and early the following morning, I grabbed a buddy of mine, and we headed out. Once we got to the lake, I backed towards the boat launch, got out of the truck and gave the boat a once over, installed the drain plug and removed the straps and trail prop from the engine, and backed the trailer into the lake. I then trimmed the motor down, and attempted to fire her up.
After just a bit of the engine being finicky, (and finding out the engine had a manual choke under the cowl, and an electric one when you pushed in the key) it settled into an idle, and I drifted off the trailer and headed to the dock to allow my friend to board. While tied up at the dock, I decided to test the response a bit by working the warm up lever back and forth, and decided it seemed to be working fine, and there was a steady stream of water coming from the tale tell, so we set off towards open water...
Once we puttered past the buoys that marked the no wake zone, I opened her up to see what she'd do, and to my surprise she wouldn't plane!

I did everything that my limited experience knew to do, which was basically adjust the trim, check the fuel supply, check to see if we were taking on water, and drain the live wells (I hadn't yet figured out how to work the valves for the live wells), All to no avail... So, we turned around and puttered back to the dock. Defeated for the day, I decided to go home and do some research on the subject - which is how I found this website coincidentally...

After some hours of research, a few days of tinkering, a bunch of trips back and forth to the water, still more trial and error, and even more mishaps (which I may or may not share at a later date due to embarrassment), I finally think I have the issues narrowed down, and have begun to formulate a plan of attack, the list of which follows;

1. The captain of the vessel is still too green.
2. There is fuel spitting from the bottom carb, and misting from the top. (2 stroke, lead me to believe it was a problem with the reed valves, which subsequent removal and inspection has verified.)
3. A wire was broken on one of the coil packs, causing the engine to run on only 3 cylinders. (this has been repaired)
4. The engine is not currently charging the battery. (still checking into this)
5. The starter seems to drag when attempting to start the engine. (have removed, and will be tearing down to rebuild soon)

Now, seeing as I already have this much work to do, it seems to me to be a good time to completely disassemble the boat, and restore her to her former glory! A project I'm calling Project Lake Monster... I welcome any and all to follow along with my enterprise, and share any tips, tricks, tidbits, tales, experience, and general knowledge that they see fit, and to glean what they can from my happenings and mishappenings. Thank you for taking the time to share in this epic rebirth of what I hope to be a fine freshwater vessel dubbed Lake Monster.

Halfrican

Cadet
Re: Project Lake Monster - 1978 Ranger 178V

There will be pics to come. If I can, it will be tonight!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Welcome to the iboats dry dock!

I don't know much about glass boats but I sure like seeing people return worthy ones to the water. You have your work cut out for you that's for sure if you're going to rip her down to the stringers and build her back up.

Halfrican

Cadet

These are a few pictures of what I'm working with, nothing yet on the restoration, but there will be plenty more to come!

IMG_20131228_120805.jpg IMG_20131228_120755.jpg IMG_20140105_204516.jpg

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

My guess is you will find wet foam adding weight that is part of the planing problem,......

Make sure you check the transom and stringers,.....

Ranger has always made a solid boat,........

Halfrican

Cadet

My guess is you will find wet foam adding weight that is part of the planing problem,......

Make sure you check the transom and stringers,.....

Ranger has always made a solid boat,........

Thanks Teamster,

I did end up getting the boat to plane on my second to last trip out this past season, the hull is pretty good on this boat, no rot that I can find so far, and everything looks dry inside. The problems I've had have been with the engine mainly, it just didn't have the power to get on plane. I have it pulled apart now, and found reed valves that have excessive gap, and am in the process of trying to track down replacements... I did find the complete reed blocks, but don't really want to spend $160 per block to get them. The last time I had the boat out, I couldn't get it to idle due to someone pulling the thermostats out, and the water temp being to low to maintain combustion. I'm hoping that after getting the engine sorted out, I won't have too many more problems, like I said it ran great - when it ran...

Watermann

She will fix up and be a great boat, sometimes these older motors can be a chore to get lined out and running good.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Raise the Motor up as high as it will go and have your friend jump up and down on the leg of the motor while you stand and observe the transom for any flexing. If it flexes even just a little bit, that IS a problem. Check all penetrations into the transom for discoloration or softness. Do this on the outside and the inside where possible. Do a thorough inspection of every nook and cranny of the floor/deck of the boat, looking for soft spots, especially around the seats, rod boxes and storage areas. Any soft spots are indications that water has penetrated the plywood an the rotting process has begun. Get under the boat and inspect the hull to ensure there are no major cracks or gouges that could be allowing water into the hull. All of this will go a long way in making sure your boat is sound.

Halfrican

Cadet

Thank you Woodonglass, I will definitely give the hull a thorough inspection as I'm tearing down. I have done the transom flex test as was suggested in another thread, and didn't see any noticeable flex from the transom. I did however notice that the two bottom bolts holding the engine were loose, and there are two cracks in the fiberglass one on either side of the aluminum plate between the engine and transom, and it was suggested in another thread that these might have been caused by someone previously hitting a submerged log or something... I plan to pour the transom with a filler compound, but I don't think I'll get it done before spring.

And to Watermann, I sure hope so! I'm getting the engine figured out day by day, I love a challenge!

Halfrican

Cadet

Well, I caught a bug that kept me down for a few days, but I managed to pull my starter apart and cleaned and inspected it. It had an issue with dragging sometimes, and I found two of the brushes were melted and broken apart. Luckily for me, they are fairly common and I was able to find them for a reasonable price... (And as a kit no less!) I'm hoping to make some headway towards the end of the week, and over the weekend. Expect plenty of pictures, and maybe a few stories of what NOT to do, hopefully not but it's been my luck lately...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The loose bolts, cracks and metal plate, are for me, problematic. They usually indicate problems with the transom. I'd really be doing a thorough inspection of that transom. Composite Transom pours are quite common for bass boats. If you do an Advanced Search here on the forum I think you'll find a few. This one is from one of our members on his 1960's runabout but the process is basically the same for any boat. Believe it or not you can use a chainsaw to "HogOut" the majority of the rotted wood between the inner and outer skins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPc7PQKohSc

Last edited:

Watermann

Ah yeah the little things that mean so much to a boat build. Bring on the pics!

Bestmason

Seaman Apprentice

Good luck on the transom, I always felt if "It can built once it can always be rebuilt". It may take a lot of elbow grease though. I once heard of a local fisherman who had a brand new Ranger. He hooked a submerged tree at Santee Cooper lakes and left the outboard in the lake. He rebuilt the boat.

Halfrican

Cadet

Alright! It's been a little while since I've posted, and I haven't gotten as much done as I hoped, but I ended up with another project... I had a guy give me a 1978 VIP bass boat with an 80hp Johnson, and a good trailer - all he wants in return is for me to get it from his lake lot, and get his golf cart running for him, talk about luck! I did end up tearing all the carpet out of the Lake Monster and cleaning things up a bit. I looked into the pourable transom repair, and I like the concept, just not the price... I'd like to do it, just don't think I'll get it done before spring. I know it's risky, and there are many people who would advise against it, but I think I'll hold off until next year to really repair the transom, and just take it easy on the lake this year... I mostly crappie fish anyway, so I don't have any need to haul across the lake at break-neck speeds. I'll post the latest pics in a few.

Halfrican

Cadet

IMG_20140119_141953.jpg IMG_20140119_114038.jpg IMG_20140119_143805.jpg

IMG_20140119_143822.jpg IMG_20140119_144145.jpg

These are pics of removal of the carpet and cleaning. Didn't find anything major wrong structurally... There was a little softness around the drains in the deck, and I also noticed a bit of waviness in the front portion of the deck, but I can't tell if that's from water possibly swelling the wood under the glass, or if it might have been a lax day at the factory. Anyone have any experience with the deck being wavy?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Do you trailer the boat to & from the lake? In use isn't the only time a transom experiences stress from the motor.....................

Halfrican

Cadet

IMG_20140119_184657.jpg IMG_20140119_185054.jpg IMG_20140120_001039.jpg

I pulled the steering wheel off and cleaned it up... Someone put a "cool guy" wheel on it at some point. It shined up real pretty like!

Halfrican

Cadet

I do trailer the boat jbcurt, and I'm always careful to raise my engine before I pull up the dock. I'm not sure when the transom damage was done, or how, but it looks like it was caused by the engine being pulled toward the stern like what would happen from hitting a submerged stump, or from being pulled from the lake without the engine being pulled high enough... I'll post some pictures tomorrow, and everyone who's interested can weigh in!

Watermann

Looks like your getting a head of steam up on the tear down HR, those Rangers are built pretty darn good but still fiberglass and wood!